pilot sport cups

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey guys,

need to replace my sports pretty soon and was looking into new tires, i hardly have any time to drive the car anymore in the cold months so my driving time has (sadly) been limited to overly compelling warm and sunny spring, summer, and fall days.

I was looking around and started salivating when I saw the barely treaded cup tires, just wondering if anyone has run these on their cars and their impressions.

side note: I was checking on michelin's website and was shocked to see that there was no 335/18" cup tire, anyone confirm that? additionally their rear cups are only for 19" wheels?

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't drive them below 50 degrees as they are hard as a rock and like ice. Don't get caught in the rain. They won't last long. They stick like glue when hot...and to my knowledge they dont make a 335/345 in 18 inch...at least I could not find them.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a set. these tires track well but, really not a street tire. If there is a groove in the road it will want to follow it.

OP
OP
M

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well they don't sound like a great option as a full time street tire. Thanks for the input guys, looks like I'm gonna go with PS2's.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome tires, but they no longer make the 345/18. It's the best street tire I've ever run and they last a long time with normal use. They are as noted above bad in the cold, but that's not a real problem in SoCal.

DRBSRT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How well do the Pilot Cups hook up on the street (straight line acceleration) versus the stock Pilot Sports that are stock on the 08/09's?

caseyse

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They are much stickier than the Sports. They once made them in 345/18 (I have some mounted on "my other car"), but unfortunately, they stopped making this size.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How well do the Pilot Cups hook up on the street (straight line acceleration) versus the stock Pilot Sports that are stock on the 08/09's?

Michelin apparently makes the SRT Pilot on the '08-'09 cars with the same compound as the "Cup" tires. You've got to be careful though, because the same size tire is available with the stock compound. The Viper specific tire has a special designation beyond just the tire size. All that said, the "Cups" certainly put more rubber to the ground just based on their near slick design. I wish someone with ties (to Michelin)could get a run of these tires made for us Gen II guys (think large group buy, I'd be in for a few sets). Anyone? VCA you guys have some pull, make it happen and keep the profits for the club.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Camfab,

The v710's are just as good of a tire and last very similar, not to mention much cheaper. They are made in 345-18's as well.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Russ, I know the 710's as well as the Hoosiers are really my best bet, but putting what looks like a real slick on my car is just another reason to get pulled over. I actually got pulled over awhile back because of sound. Then I was questioned about my Sport Cups which at the time still had plenty of life. He let me go, but I figure I shouldn't push my luck.

The other thing is that when I was talking to the Hoosier rep., he told me that the tire is much lighter, but at the cost of puncture resisitance. I just can't understand why Michelin stopped making this tire. The market for them is now huge, with all the Vette guys running this size as well.

Green Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spoke to one of the Michelin reps at VOI-10 when I was not able to get a set of rears (345-18s) for my Gen2 back in July 2008. She looked into it only to find out that they did in fact go out of production, she was not aware at that time and had to research. Her email response to me is below. Maybe if we were able to come up with a group purchase that would change their mind.

"Thank you again for your past Michelin purchases and your quest for the next set. As I checked into the Pilot Sport Cup tires 345/30ZR18, I found that we have discounted manufacturing that size."
Regards,

Amy Batt
OE Partnership Marketing
Michelin North America
3290 W. Big ******
Suite 201
Troy, MI 48084
(Her phone number and email address have been removed from the post.)

I have used the V710s and V700s on the race track and will be testing a set of slightly used Toyo Proxes R888 that I came across later this year for comparison purposes but so far the sport cups are tops for the street/track dual purpose.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Armen,

Put a set of Kumho Ectsa V700's in 335 x 30 x 18 on the back of your GTS.

These are a fully treaded tire, offer much better dry traction, better damp / wet / cold performance, last as long or longer than the Cups and cost less too.

I've run them on the back of my Paxton car (925 rwhp), then turned Rick Hollis (875 rwhp) on to them and he now loves them too!

Dan

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Armen,

Put a set of Kumho Ectsa V700's in 335 x 30 x 18 on the back of your GTS.

These are a fully treaded tire, offer much better dry traction, better damp / wet / cold performance, last as long or longer than the Cups and cost less too.

I've run them on the back of my Paxton car (925 rwhp), then turned Rick Hollis (875 rwhp) on to them and he now loves them too!

Dan

AMEN, Armen............ but act fast

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yeah,

AMEN, Armen............ but act fast

I think they may be closing these out at Tire Rack.