Pilot sport tires

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I back out of the garage, I turn hard left backing up and hard right going forward. The pilot sports on my ACR seem to grab and skip during these manuvers. Does this seem normal?

Torquemonster06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its normal. It seems like mine does it more in the morning when the tires are still cold. Not so much when they are warm. The first time it happened I got freaked out , put the car back in the garage and checked to see if the wheel lugs where loose.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep - mine does it big time with any sharp turns on my still original runflats. It's a bunch of hard rubber that just doesn't squirm nicely under hard turning. I know, I know - they will get replaced.

cowger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Along with cold tires, I think cold oil in the differential contributes. Definitely happens to me, too.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This is all due to temperature. Note in your owner's manual how it does not suggest driving the vehicle when the temperature is 40 degrees or colder. Low profile and relatively stiff sidewalls literally give the car the feeling the tires are flat while turning when it is chilly. No issue when the temp is warm, but like many DOT competition tires, they are not advisable to drive without caution if it is cold outside. Will take quite awhile for the tires to warm, also , when the temperatures are down.

Lespauldude

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Its normal. It seems like mine does it more in the morning when the tires are still cold. Not so much when they are warm. The first time it happened I got freaked out , put the car back in the garage and checked to see if the wheel lugs where loose.

+1. The first few times it freaked me out as well. It took a while for my synapses to fire and it dawned on me that it was the tires being cold and making a sharp turn when backing out of the driveway. :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang