Plasti-dippin my wheels

neo_rambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well guys I took my wheels off 2 months ago and plasti-dipped them. Here are some of the pics of the process I will post pictures of them 2 months after. Just a hint they look the same as 2 months ago after a long cruises and

Step 1 Took wheels off put note cards all the way around to make it easier to paint the edge of the wheels. This stuff peels off the tire but I didn't want to go through the hassle.

Ok here is a before photo:
You must be registered for see images attach

Note: this picture is on the 4th coat:

the spots even themselves out and become smooth when it drys

This is with 9 coats dry

On the car

I will have more pictures posted tonight

2easy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have fun peeling it off when the time comes....been there and it *****. There is a quick way to do it though.

OP
OP
N

neo_rambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many coats did you put on your wheel before you peeled it? I read the more you have on there the easier it is to peel off in the end.

ninjakris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
9 coats? You were not messing around. I usually do 4 coats. Looks good though. When the time comes to peel leel it off, I have found that toothpicks work good for getting under the dip instead of tearing up your fingernails.

ohio_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can you post where you got the material and such? I have a set of Gen II GTS 5 spokes I want to black out for my 94. Were you wheels clear coated before? If so, did you strip them?

Thanks,

Jeff

OP
OP
N

neo_rambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you post where you got the material and such? I have a set of Gen II GTS 5 spokes I want to black out for my 94. Were you wheels clear coated before? If so, did you strip them?

Jeff, I got the stuff from https://www.dipyourcar.com/home.php?cat=21
My wheels were the polished stock Gen III wheels I didn't do anything to them.The advantage to plastidip is that you can peel it off if you don't like them over time. It's not a permanent solution.

Here are some myths about it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvkq-qyY9aY
you can power wash them without issues

It becomes like a plastic coating and the more coats you put the easier it is to peel 5-7 is recommended I did thin even coats
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj68Jji57w8 My next project is to paint the rear bumper and emblems.

I also didn't want to ruin the authenticity of the car if I decided to sell it.

Last edited:

2easy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many coats did you put on your wheel before you peeled it? I read the more you have on there the easier it is to peel off in the end.

I put on 5. It was a pain in the axe to peel it off. After about an hour, and only a quarter of one tire removed I used brake caliper cleaner and a rag. Came off clean, quick and easy. Use caution with this removal method!!! Too much and you may have a probelm with the C.C. on your rims. A little does alot in this case.

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Neo, is that straight Matte or did you use any clear coat to make it more of a Satin? I'm hopefully doing the rims on my other car this weekend.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have matching cars! What year is your escalade?

It's a 2007. I love the 24" replicas but the inner barrels are showing age so I'm either gonna paint, plastidip or vinyl them since you can see so much of them with the 12" brakes lol

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a 2007. I love the 24" replicas but the inner barrels are showing age so I'm either gonna paint, plastidip or vinyl them since you can see so much of them with the 12" brakes lol

Funny mine is an 07 as well! We both have an 06 coupe and 07 escalade lol

Love the 24" replicas.

You gotta drop that thing. I'm running a 3/5 drop on mine.

OP
OP
N

neo_rambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Neo, is that straight Matte or did you use any clear coat to make it more of a Satin? I'm hopefully doing the rims on my other car this weekend.
This was straight matte. I bought the gloss kit but ended up not using it cause with the light it looks satin.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

neo_rambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I forgot to do some closeup shots of the wheels last night, but here are some that I have on my desktop from 2 weeks ago. I will take some tonight and post up the video.

Attachments

• DSC_5734.jpg
    DSC_5734.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC_5736.jpg
    DSC_5736.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC_5747.jpg
    DSC_5747.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
N

neo_rambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the write-up, thinking about doing the same

how many cans did 9 coats take?
I bought the gloss kit it came with 4 black cans and 3 gloss cans. I used 3.5 cans for the 9 coats but these coats where very even and thin that includes the inside barrel of the wheel and the back of the sides of the hub area as well. I wouldn't recommend this paint if you are planning to track the car. The temperature threshold will not be enough in track conditions in my opinion. But there are some that paint the fronts of their cars with clear to prevent debris and it acts like a clear bra.

PootyP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I see where you can plati dip spray your whole car and them seem to have done quite a few on thier website forum. Seems like you could have it done for about 1k and since my last quote for laminate was 5k seems to be a great solution for a less expensive change to your car.

Anyone here ever had the whole car done?
Theres a place right by my house in Baton Rouge that is a Plastidip installer, gonna call for a quote.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see where you can plati dip spray your whole car and them seem to have done quite a few on thier website forum. Seems like you could have it done for about 1k and since my last quote for laminate was 5k seems to be a great solution for a less expensive change to your car.

Anyone here ever had the whole car done?
Theres a place right by my house in Baton Rouge that is a Plastidip installer, gonna call for a quote.

I did my entire car for under $500. Look up the thread Plasti-fun over in the SRT Forums.

-Tim

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the barrels of the viper wheels and it's holding up very good!

What is the 'barrel' of the wheel? Is that the inside surface?

So you plasti'd the outside, flipped it over, then the inside? Which did you do first? I would think inside first so overspray doesn't get all over the outside? Curious of your particular process - I want to do this.

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: removal... It seems like this stuff could be blasted off with a good power washer at minimal distance (say, less than 2"). Anyone tried that?

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you got to the website listed above there is a video of them using a pressure washer on it and the plasti-dip stays on. Seems to be more effective to peal it of in sheets.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Couple of tips. Preparation is the key to Plastidip sticking. I used a good degreaser, then a 90% rubbing alcohol mix before putting on the plastidip. As others have noted, the more coats, the more easily it supposedly peels off. It takes a lot of patience and spraying from the right distance to minimize a textured look. I have also heard that you can heat the can up (hot water, for example) for a more smooth spray pattern. There was some discussion about making sure that you either cover or remove the plastidip from the rims where the lug nuts fit (discussion included wheel loosening at a track event and it was surmised that the layer of plastidip between the lug and the rim caused this - but it may just be urban legend.)

This stuff looks really good (most would not even know it has plastidip on) and has held up amazingly well for me. I put on over 2000 miles going to VOI and it still looks perfect.