Plug on the Right Side of Transmission

wigginz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was pulling the 1-4 skip shift plug from the transmission and noticed on the opposite side (right side if facing forward), there is a plug (black color) with two wires. I couldn't find this plug in the service manual, does anyone know what this is for? For some reason mine was unplugged (never touched it before) and I'm not sure why.

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the My Service manual 2002 it shows, skip shift solenoid
Reverse lockout solenoid
Vehicle speed sensor

OP
OP
W

wigginz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Saw the same thing in mine. The plug I'm wondering about is on the other side of the transmission though.

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm guessing this is the back-up light... can anyone confirm?

Should be the back-up light switch.

http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/media/pdfs_autogen/T-56_Service_Manual.pdf

Page 9 #59

The other side for reference if anyone needs it:

image002.jpg

OP
OP
W

wigginz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Should be the back-up light switch.

Thanks! Figured as much. Seems that the plug has been out for some time, there's a nice build up of gunk making it pretty tough to get the plug back in. It's at a horrible angle too, cleaning it out is going to be a pain.

OP
OP
W

wigginz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
so basically all you have to do is unplug the skip shift plug and thats it? i have a 96 rt i assume is the same thing?

Basically that's it, it should be the same for you. You'll still have the arrow light turn on, but you won't be blocked out of second any more. Check the illustrated how-to section of the VCA site, there's a guide with more detail.

I did notice in my '02 that the check engine light turned on as soon as I removed the plug. Strange that they would be related, I'm going to plug the skip shift back in to see if it clears the check engine light. Disabling the skip shift isn't worth having the CEL stare me in the face all the time... I hate that thing.

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just buy the plug & play and you will not get the light.

You must be registered for see images

Online Shopping

or you can stick a 2.2k 1/2 watt resistor into the connector and tape it up and the light will not come on.