polish for polished/clear coated wheels

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what is safe to use? These wheels are so sensitive to light scratches. Im only using micro-fiber towels to dry. And it still puts light marks in them. What can you use to remove them..

Last edited:

triblk6spd

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Treat the clearcoat on your wheels the same way you treat the clear coat on your paint. Wash the wheels every time you wash your car with soap and water. Never wash the wheels when they are hot. Polish the clear and wax the clear often. A couple good coats of synthetic should be good for every other washing.

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I read that the urethane clear coat on wheels can be treated like plastic and polished with that stuff they make for polishing dull headlights but I’ve never tried it.

triblk6spd

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ANY good auto polish will work. Like I said coat them with a good synthetic wax every other wash or so. They will stay looking great for a long time.

unreelviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a lot easier to clean them if you chrome plate them. John at California Chrome is the best (calchrome.com). "Spray and wipe"!!!

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep in mind the clear on your wheels is not a true clear coat, it is a clear powder coat, there is a difference. Be aware of some wheel cleaners that specifically say safe for clear coat but now for powder coat, I think the Mequiars wheel cleaner actually says not for powder coated wheels

OP
OP
T

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After further inspection. It looks like the marks/haze Im speaking of. Are actually factory "polishing" marks. And as such, have been clear coated over.. So, I guess thats just part of the wheel design.. Short of going under the clearcoat. I dont think they can be removed. I guess I'm looking for the "chrome" look. Which simply cant be done with polished wheels. Imperfections is the nature of the "polishing" process I guess.

I'll just use some good wax on them, next wash..

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yep polishing marks.

416IMG_2672.JPG

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not much you can do short of removing CC and re-polishish and then re coating. :dunno:

I would keep a good coat of sealant like Zaino or Klasse on them to protect them and they should wash up with just soap and water.

OP
OP
T

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Newport, yep.. thats exactly what my wheels look like up close.. My GTS wheels had a much better factory "polish" to them..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang