Poll on the Ron Davis Radiator...

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I would like to find out what is your experience is with the Ron Davis Radiator?

Does your car run hot in traffic?

What mods do you have?

I am curious to see if this Radiator was worth the money.

So far I have had okay luck with it.

It runs at about 185-200-220 in traffic. I have the 185 thermostate, which I think is about useless...in my opinion. I drilled the holes in the thermostat..
I have my 2 spal fans running all the time, but do notice the temp of the car rising if I am moving slowly at 2000 rpms to 2500 rpms. When I get on the highway, it appears it takes a little longer to cool down than the stock radiator. I do need to burp the system and hopefully this will take care of most of the heating issues, but for some reason I am doubtful it will make that big of a difference. I decided not to use the internal oil cooler due to the fear of really making the water temp rise!

All in All, the radiator is a nicely constructed piece and fits well. But the the cost of it vs the temp drop vs the stock one I didn't see too much of a difference. I am not sure if it has to do with less air flowing through it because of the size of the core.

I will post after my burping begins! Oh, I am using about 40% antifreeze and 60% water with water wetter additive. ( I change my coolant 1 time per year).

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
Thanks for posting your info on the RD radiator, ab. I was thinking about getting one, but will hold off for a bit.

During the warm months, try Zerex Super Coolant mixed with distilled water. Gave me a quick 5º - 8º temp drop.

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Adam,

I don't think your problem is with the radiator's ability to cool. Looking at your custom fabricated shroud, it looks like you did a very nice job with the fitment of the dual fans. However, it looks like the shroud is restricting proper airflow when the car is at highway speeds. Most all current commercial fan shrouds (including OEM) have trap doors which act as a one-way valve. When the car is in forward motion, the doors allow air to flow through. When the car is moving low speed or stopped, the doors stay shut, allowing the fans to operate more efficiently. At highway speeds, its the airflow through the facia that cools the engine, not the fans. By eliminating the trap doors, you have in effect reduced the free flow of air at speed. That's probably what's causing it to take longer to cool when you get on the highway.

You must be registered for see images

With my set up, which is similar to yours (except my radiator is Fluidyne/no shroud), I don't have cooling issues anymore. This weekend I was driving in 111 degree weather. The temp never went pass the 220 mark in stopped traffic and was straight up at 190 on the highway.

2827fluidynetwinfan2s-med.jpg

JimT 99RT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the unit with the integrated Oil Cooler. In Street driving with a 195 degree thermostat I don't see it ever go above the 195 degree mark, under track conditions driving 30 minute track sessions in 93 degree weather it got up to the middle mark on the right which I believe is 220. I have a Roe Blower running the 7lb pulley.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the RD radiator my car cools down much quicker than before and seems to run a bit cooler all around.
But the differnce is very noticable with how much faster my GTS cools down when I am driving hard. :usa:

OP
OP
Q

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You guys all beat me to the punch line!!

I was doing some thinking and yes, I agree that fan shroud is what is causing the extra time to cool off the radiator. I will be drilling holes in it. Also I burped my system and it helped quit a bit. As far as the oil cooler goes, if I can keep the temps down, I will run lines to the oil cooler and then daisy chain them to the front air oil cooler. Hopefully this should keep everything even cooler.

So my observation so far of the Ron Davis Radiator was hampered by air restrictions. I still like the radiator and look forward to some good results now!

I was also thinking about putting one of my 13" spal fans in front pushing air while the one in the back pulling air...what do you think of that set up? Do you think the front fan will be a hinderance at highway speed?

OP
OP
Q

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You guys all beat me to the punch line!!

I was doing some thinking and yes, I agree that fan shroud is what is causing the extra time to cool off the radiator. I will be drilling holes in it. Also I burped my system and it helped quit a bit. As far as the oil cooler goes, if I can keep the temps down, I will run lines to the oil cooler and then daisy chain them to the front air oil cooler. Hopefully this should keep everything even cooler.

So my observation so far of the Ron Davis Radiator was hampered by air restrictions. I still like the radiator and look forward to some good results now!

I was also thinking about putting one of my 13" spal fans in front pushing air while the one in the back pulling air...what do you think of that set up? Do you think the front fan will be a hinderance at highway speed?