Potential Scam

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although I really hate using these words, it appears someone is going through the classified trying to buy things using a highly questionable Tactic. Several have already sent me this same letter for different ad inquiries, it was the exact same letter, for different parts. In the past this scam is run by sending a real looking money order or check. The buyer deposits it, and sends the goods. It takes a few days for the banking system to ID the check as a fake, and the seller is left with no parts, no payment, AND to ad insult to injury, a fee for a bad check. It could be legit, but BE CAREFUL if you are approached:

To:
Subject: Viper Club of America Classifieds request more info about Ad Number
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 14:24:42 -0500

We are interested in buying your above mentioned product (Koni double adjustable shocks) at advertised rate of $975.00. Goods to be picked up from your location for onward shipping to London. Cost and modalities of shipping to be born by us.

Payment for the purchase is by check through a debtor in US. The debtor owes us higher than our purchase. He will therefore be sending you a check for $6,000 to cover the cost of our order, as well as the Shipping costs.

On receipt of the check, you will cash and deduct the cost of our order .The balance you will send as we would instruct you to the Agency that will ship the Goods to us. If this arrangement suites you fine, please send us your address where to send the check, as well as the name to be on it. Also send us your phone number for easy communication.
Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you.

Best Regards
------------

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think you can remove "potential" from the title. This scam has been going on for quite some time. A person I previously worked with got duped on this one. They were selling a car and got taken for $5000 dollars.

LIRacer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am selling my Vette and recieve the same letter from different people offering to purchase my car with an over amount check.

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
What gives with all these scams these days, do folks really think they are going to get te advertised great deal ?

Toronto_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These kind of people when found should have their nuts cut off. I too was a victim recently for something else. people when something is considered too good a deal it usually is a scam. Trust me I know

moparguy99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was selling some concert tix on e-bay & I had several e-mails like this, common to them all is that they claim to be from european nations.Beware!
Matt

Back-In-Black

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was presented with this scam selling my Harley a month ago. The man claimed he wanted to send me $16000 bank check from a recent sale he made, have me take the $10300 for the bike and send him back $5700. I smelled a rat and told him to send $10300 cash with the hauling company when they came to pick up the bike. Never heard back from him after that.

He claimed to be from London using the name "Robin Hayes"

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang