Power outlet/cigg lighter in center console

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is the power outlet/cigarette lighter in the center console for a 2008 Vert stock? I was under the impression that it was. The dealer is telling me that it is aftermarket and burned up 600 bucks of wiring and won't fix anything under warranty. I just want to figure out if they are screwing me.

OP
OP
M

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks. Uggggg, I'm getting a little sick of dodge dealers screwing me on warranty work. I called them back to confirm that it is a stock outlet. They changed their story from it not being a stock location to someone installing a higher amperage lighter in the stock location. Sounds ridiculous to me.

OP
OP
M

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Big thanks to JonB for calling me immediately with some good information. Huge help Jon, and I'm glad that I have purchased from you in the past and will continue to in the future.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A higher amperage cigarette lighter? First off, I don't think there are many options on the amperage of cigarette lighters. Second, they're saying that the car doesn't have electrical protection to prevent wiring damage when an over-current situation occurs? I don't know about safety codes in cars, but I'm quite certain that building codes in houses say that you have to install a fuse/breaker that will blow before any meaningful wiring damage occurs due to over-current situations. Sounds like they think everyone in the world is stupid and they can get away with whatever they want. It's businesses like that that keep our courts full of cases.

OP
OP
M

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm going to end up calling dodge to get a refund I think. I had to deal with this before with Jack Ellis'sGlendale Dodge when they charged me almost a thousand bucks to replace a $9 evap hose that was under warranty. Dodge recommended that I never go to that dealer again and after much dispute with the dealership, just sent me a check to reimburse me. I started going to another dealership in the area that I was happy with, and they were forcibly shut down when dodge started closing dealerships. Wrong dealer Chrysler!!! The whole thing is a mess and I wish that Dodge kept a better eye on it's dealers. After three vipers, as much as I love the cars, they sure make it hard to consider another chrysler product. Bad move, I was considering buying another jeep soon.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got higher amperage lighter installed my '03. I had to get it because it gets so hot, I can actually light my bowl to take a **** while driving.

Are these guys serious with their excuses to you?

OP
OP
M

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've got higher amperage lighter installed my '03. I had to get it because it gets so hot, I can actually light my bowl to take a **** while driving.

Are these guys serious with their excuses to you?

Yeah. I think that they are trying to recoup the money of the tech taking a day and a half to find bad wiring and want me to pay for it rather than what Chrysler will give them. A few of the dealers I've gone to seem to see the viper and just think I'm going to fork over money to them without question. I've fought it enough with the dealer that I don't want them to "find" a new problem to fix. I'm just going to pay them and go to Chrysler for a refund, as I have had to do before. These dealers don't understand that treating a customer like this makes them a little more money in the short term but they totally lose out in the long run. The last four cars I've purchased were three vipers and a jeep and was considering another jeep to replace my current one. Guess who I'll never buy from...

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm just going to pay them and go to Chrysler for a refund, as I have had to do before. These dealers don't understand that treating a customer like this makes them a little more money in the short term but they totally lose out in the long run. The last four cars I've purchased were three vipers and a jeep and was considering another jeep to replace my current one. Guess who I'll never buy from...

Don't pay them!!! I wouldn't give them the satisfaction. Call Chrysler and find out who the regional service rep is. Contact that person and explain your situation to them first. Their actions, to me, are borderline fraudulent.