Prefix Viper Paint Process in the News

purenxs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the main reasons beyond style, that the Viper has attracted me, the beautiful high quality paint schemes. I hope the market adjustment in prices doesn't result in SRT opting to cut costs where the paint is concerned. The Viper paint is 2nd to none (that I know of:D), coupled with being hand built, makes me want to get one, which i will at some point (looking for the right Viper at the right (rock bottom) price!

Thanks for posting!:)

sharky

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This may sound like a ridiculous question but here it goes. The constant touting of this process and extraordinary outcomes seem to be attested to by even those outside of the Viper loyalists. How does the local dealership or Autobody/ paint shop replicate this quality or process should a body repair be required? Would you not potentially end up with a variance in the color or quality? Again I am certainly not versed in the body and painting field and appreciate any insight you may have.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This may sound like a ridiculous question but here it goes. The constant touting of this process and extraordinary outcomes seem to be attested to by even those outside of the Viper loyalists. How does the local dealership or Autobody/ paint shop replicate this quality or process should a body repair be required? Would you not potentially end up with a variance in the color or quality? Again I am certainly not versed in the body and painting field and appreciate any insight you may have.

From things I've read, decent local shops can replicate it.

The issue is, oddly, local shops are too good at normal paint jobs - they must introduce orange peel into the paint to match it. (I've heard that BMW teaches its repair shops how to introduce orange peel into their repair jobs - true or now I don't know)

Chelseasnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
orange peel? guys that have to fix a vette, must have to work overtime to match all the orange peel thats comes on the vettes.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are fortunate in South Florida to have some very high end body shops. There is one in South Miami that is the only authorized McClaren repair station in South Florida. It also repairs all of the exotics and does a great deal of work for customers of the Collection in Coral Gables. When I got my TA, one of the first people I let see it was the owner of the shop who is also a friend. He thought that the paint job was excellent and believed that if something should happen that he can match it. If anyone wants the name of the shop, PM me. One caveat. Work of this quality costs more.

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much extra time do the lame SRT stripes take?- Maybe an extra 5 hours. At $900 an hour that's top tier attorney pricing right there:omg:

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you get a chance to tour Prefix, it's an amazing process. On the stripes, it complicates the entire process, as they are painted first, and the entire rest of the job is spent protecting the stripes. TO say it's 5 hours is probably not accurate in impact, even though I don't know the exact amount.

Heck on my Gen2, I think they were $1500, on the G4, I think they were 3k?, those were just painted on after by a machine, so that's probably $900 an hour, but worth every penny.

As to "lame" beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I just wish all my vipers are striped, I can't think of a decent way to do my G3 convertible...

We can all agree attorney's are paid too much LOL (don't kill me Bob, just a joke!)

Thanks for the post OP, good to see positive Viper news, let's hope the next one is a Viper win at Daytona...

DingDong

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Amazing... But slide 11... Just WHAT were they thinking with Stryker Green? I mean seriously! Who does that?

purenxs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the Stryker Green video with Ralph Gilles, he mentions who each stripe on the Viper takes over 18 hours!

The stripes on the "Heritage" pkg., on my '427' costs $1200. for some cheapdeals & two floor mats (427)!

I personally love the Stryker Green paint from what I can see in the video, but probably wouldn't buy it because it would attract too much attention.

Just looked at a 2014 Nissan GTR Special Edition with special hand painted color at 106k! The paint had as much, if not more orange peel than the C7's I've seen (poor quality control).

I recommended the salesman to walk across the street & look at one of the Vipers on display, so he can see what a top quality hand painted finish should look like on a 100k car.

purenxs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the nissan gtr might be called the orange peel special edition

It comes in a special "Midnight Opal" exterior, has a 6K upgrade over the Preminum level GTR, and only 100 total to be produced and only 50 in America (and my local dealer has one with no markup). Sounds good until you look at the paint! How's that possible with a truly limited production?:omg:

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As to "lame" beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I just wish all my vipers are striped,
"Lame" in that the factory won't do a proper full stripe on a base SRT car and the "mini stripes" still cost $4,500. I personally love stripes on a Viper. 4 out of 5 of mine were, with the only exception being a '05 Copperhead

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like they base and clear first and then go back and do the stripes. I guess it allows more time for layout and correcting errors vice laying the base color, then the stripe, and then clear the entire panel...in which you must complete the process usually within 24 hrs of laying down the base color. I have done it both ways.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like they base and clear first and then go back and do the stripes. I guess it allows more time for layout and correcting errors vice laying the base color, then the stripe, and then clear the entire panel...in which you must complete the process usually within 24 hrs of laying down the base color. I have done it both ways.
prefix does the stripes first

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Take a look at this beauty. It is a 2014 gun metal grey SRT with every option and black stripes. I have seen it up close. It is an incredibly good looking vehicle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang