Production 5 PSI Boost Supercharger Kit Results

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Here's what to expect from our production kit on a Viper with smooth tubes, high flow air filters, Borla 1&5/8" headers, high flow cats and a cat back exhaust.

Dyno run 25 is the basic production kit as delivered. You use your stock PCM and throttle bodies.

Dyno run 26 was with the VEC1 on and adjusted to improved settings. Note that the dyno runs were back to back (leaned over and adjusted the VEC1 between pulls) and engine heat was becoming a factor at the end of pull 26, showing reduced HP.

The VEC1 is not part of the basic kit. We're now using larger fuel injectors (much more expensive) and no longer need the VEC1 to turn up the fuel on the top end, as on the prototype. The VEC1 does still make a significant improvement in the mid range power and on throttle response, as it does without the blower. Note the typical dip in the graph of a stock PCM without the VEC1.

You must be registered for see images

Sean

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Sean Roe on 07-20-2002 at 07:55 AM</font>

S

SUN RA KAT

What's the word on the model with the bigger smooth tubes and throttle bodies? Will it work as well as the current model on a "Creampuff" with headers, high flow cat, & cat back?

Any discounts for getting a VEC1 with your supercharger kit?

VENM8R

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Will you have dynographs of a stock car with the only modification being your supercharger kit? I don't have thousands of extra dollars to spend before adding a supercharger and would like to know what power it really adds. Those mods will have to come afterwards. Your supercharger is impressive!
smile.gif

Keller

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean
Are you going to offer staged upgrades for the package that are compatible with the 5 psi kit? It would be nice to be able to add a few more components and get another 100 RWHP.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean
I also plan on just starting with the SC(I have your tubes/filters). Just like AKVIPER, would like to know baseline hp and then what order of mods to go with once I do decide to modify. Nice numbers on the dyno. Congrats! You are going to make alot of Viper owners happy!

OP
OP
S

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
In answer to the questions above.

Yes, the PCM can learn out bigger injectors and that's a good thing. Fortunately, the correction factor for closed loop is not the same correction factor used in open loop. The benefit, we retain driveability and proper air / fuel ratios at part throttle while flowing sufficient fuel for full throttle. The factory PCM does a great job at this and requires no modifications when the right size injectors are used. You don't want to go so big on them that the PCM can't adjust out the part throttle fuel, or so small that the engine runs lean under heavy throttle.

Regarding the HP gain over your current engine configuration, stock to mild bolt on's, the engine HP will increase approximately 135 HP at 5 psi. A stock 400 RWHP car will increase up to approximately 520 RWHP with the addition of the SC. The more upgrades you have, the more power it will make. But the gain will always be roughly the same at 5 psi boost (SAE corrected, altitude may affect results).

Upgrades to the basic system are now being tested. Each psi of boost makes about 25 HP. To make more power, it's easiest to just increase the boost. But, the exhaust side must be upgraded to flow the CFM required, especially in the upper RPM range, in order for the increase to be effective. We're working to that end now and testing the limits of the fuel system also.

Sean

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Sean,

Your numbers look good. Give me a call if you want to try a nitrous injection on one of these. I think with one of our supplemental fuel systems a nitrous system will really bring out the power of your system. I'd be willing to use your car or bolt one of these on mine as a test bed. Problem with my car is that it makes 515 to the wheels on motor only and would not be a comparable for folks with stock engines.

Let me know if something like this interests you.

Tom Http://btrviper.com

GASDOC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom,do you think it would be safe for a cream puff with the cast pistons to have say a 50-75 shot of nitrous with the 5.5 pounds of boost?I've been thinking about this ever since the first announcement by Sean about his supercharger.I think it would be a great combination if feasible.

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Sean, what's your opinion on how your system would work on a heads/cam/exhaust car like Tom's that puts out around 515 rwhp n/a? I'm assuming the boost would drop due to the increased airflow, correct? And if you used a smaller pulley to get back to 5 or 5.5 psi, would the massflow at that point be such that it would exceed the capability of the larger injectors/stock PCM to supply fuel (as well as possibly create reliability issues for cast piston cars)? Also, would the Autorotor blower you're using be capable of efficiently moving the requisite amount of air through a modified engine without an intercooler and without creating too much heat?

Ronnie

OP
OP
S

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Ronnie,
Only testing can answer those questions specifically. But, I think it would work well. If changes are necessary, they won't be much. The injectors can support a lot more HP, but the pump could need an upgrade (depending on the power level of the engine). The increase in cylinder head flow would be a good thing. We're not maxing the Autorotor out at this time and there's more left if we could use it. It's capable of putting more air into the engine than it can exhaust in stock form.

Tom,
Not sure about the nitrous thing. If we did it, it would just be for the novelty of it.

Sean

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean,

A few of your customers have showed an interest in trying nitrous with your unit. Should one of them wish to try it I will consult with you as we proceed with the installation and tuning.

Best of luck, you have always produced great products.

Tom
Http://btrviper.com

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21