Progress on restoring 97 GTS/ Pictures

ewave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

A while ago I posted some ugly pictures of my damaged Viper. I finally got the hood back from the fiber glass guy, and have trial fit everything. This week it goes in to be painted. I'm thinking either the original blue/white color, or perhaps Viper Yellow/Black stripes.

Here's an updated picture:

You must be registered for see images

You can also see other before pictures that (I have posted previously) here:

http://www.electrowave.com/viper

I'll post pictures in a few weeks after it is painted.

If anyone else is restoring a car, or looking for great prices on used Viper parts you should check out Don Scharf Automotive. They are in Wisconsin. Their number is 1-800-338-4002. Ask for Paul. I have no association with these guys other then being a very satisfied customer. Paul has gone out of his way to make sure I was satisfied, that I got the right parts on time, and that I got the best prices out there. Believe me, I shopped around, and these guys prices could not be beat.

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Loos like you have done a great job putting her back together again. You may want to consider just sending the parts you want painted. That is the way it's done at the factory. This way you will be assured that there is no overspray. Also make sure that the painter does the parts as they were done originally. Look at how the color goes over the edge and about 1/4" onto the back side of the hood. It's masked of nicely. I would keep the car blue/white. The most popular color for a GTS. Did you buy the car this way or did you have a mishap?

OP
OP
E

ewave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Richard (Viperrick),

I bought the car damaged, and not running (the computer was smashed, and the front brakes were locked up). It was a repo from a bank, and I took a pretty big risk buying it. After I bought it the frame was measured with a Shark system, and was found to be with in +/- 1.0 mm. Also a bunch of warrantee work was done on the car including new transmission and rear end. The engine was done by arrow at 50K miles. It has aluminum flywheel, kevlar clutch and heavy duty halve shafts, all replaced in the last 7K miles. Car currently has 65K miles. It will make a good daily driver/racer..

Rare1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking good!
But please, keep the Blue, its outstanding!!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Mikael

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's great to see your project's progress.
It's looking good so far.
Personally, I'd stay with blue and white.

-Dean.

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although Yellow is my second favorite Viper color (what's my first? look left!) I'm not a fan of changing colors. I would definitely keep it blue with stripes, THE classic color combo for a GTS!
smile.gif

VIPR GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Paul, got to admire your fortitude. What a great way to come up
with a daily driver that is what most people just dream of. Keep
us posted, maybe it will give some of us the push we need to
try the same thing. Oh, and how could you not do blue with white stripes, the true classic. Also, estimated expense for
the completed project,
Good Luck

OP
OP
E

ewave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Several people have asked me the cost details of the re-build:

The work that has been subbed out for the side rocker damage came to about $2.0K I had the hood repaired by a fiberglass God who builds composite airplanes for about $2.2K Many other parts that I have needed (i.e., side sills, front core support etc) I have purchased here on the board at incredible prices due to the generosity of other board members and Viper owners. The stuff I couldn't find here I bought from DS Automotive (Don Scharf)-- See first message for 800 number. All the labor I have done myself.

The total into the car, including the price of the car, and the paint job is about $25K. BTW the car has a clean title.

That $25K total even included a great deal on a roll bar and second set of 5 point belts. (Thanks to Dion Fisher!) .

If you want the exact details, email me and I'll send you the whole project in a Excel spread sheet.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Wow! $25K for the car, and the repairs?

Fantastic deal. Fantastic looking car, with strong mechanicals, too. I'm happy for you.

I'd definitely keep it blue/white, because that is THE color combo, and it will always be worth something. High emotional value. I still have the blue/white picture of the 96 GTS that I fell in love with, and used to drool over. Well, I drool all the time anyhow, but I digress.

Great project! I almost did one, too. A 2000 steel grey with about $25K damage. I passed on it, 'cause I don't have the time.

Yours is a worthwhile endeavor. Kudos.