Prospective Viper owner has a few questions he needs answered ASAP:

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi there!

I´m right now in the process of buying a Viper GTS.
I´m living in Autria, so I get a Europe Model GTS. As soon as I have it, I
wanna get a Heffner 1000hp SC install, as I need to get out some more hp
than my 900hp Supra

I have one problem.
The Vipers here in Europe were sold by Chrysler, not Dodge...........co it´s
called Chrysler Viper. That´s not the problem, though.

I know that I need to get a 97-99 Viper to have the forged internals.

I now found a black Viper GTS.
Black seems to be good, as it seems to be a 99 year model, then.

I have the VIN 1C3ERC9E1XV503131
The "X" at position 10 seems to indicate it´s a 99 Model year. So far, so
good.

But, the Europe models in 99 then seem to have some "modifications" done.
They have only 384 hp.

I think I heard somewhere that they may have an other (or other
progarremmd?) ECU...maybe an additional cat??

Could you help me in any way to find out:

1) If the Europe 99` Models also had the forged internals
2) What is done to them to only have 384 hp instead of 450 like the US cars
have....

I really hope you can help me out on that, as I would need to pay the car on
Monday to get it.....

And I want that Viper NOW

Thanks a lot in advance,
Michael

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This would only be a guess..... but could they have messured the HP a different way? Just a guess.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These are guesses as well, but...

I'm 99% sure you have forged internals. I cant believe they'd put creampuff internals in a car just because it was being shipped overseas. I have never heard of ANY Gen 1/2 car without forged internals

If there is a HP difference, I would also think it was due to programming in your ECU. Most likely emissions related

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I only know that the Startech GTS promo car (graphite grey if I remember correctly) also has the 384hp.. if anyone has got sonar-like ears I can try to get the sound file online that I have on a CD (has some other great engines on it as well) :)

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wasn't this due to the more restrictive noise regulations? In Europe, power measured in pferdestarke (literally "horse strength" in German) is converted pretty close to even:

1 ps = 0.987 hp

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Just buy it and we'll figure it out later. As said above - it should have forged internals. I thought I remembered it being something like restrictive exhaust and maybe even a different box/smaller size intake or something to that affect - all the stuff you probably would have replaced even on a US car, right? Meaning the first thing most of us do is modify the intake (smooth tubes / filters) and exhaust.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Guessing aside, the correct answer is this:

The internals are identical in every way. The PCM is different. I could tell you why, just email me direct. [Tom: your answer affected Gen 1 ]

Purchase a USA PCM {from PartsRack please} and your BUX BLUES are gone. We can even coordinate w/ Heffner and have it pre-programmed for the mods you plan.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
The peak RWHP on my GTS (pre-mods) was only 385hp, but my
torque was well into the average-above average range. The
only time I noticed the loss was on the long straightaways
of the track.

Now if you have low HP and low TQ I would guess there's
something really wrong.

Much

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Give Danilo from the Viper club Germany a call

0173 9328664

Danilo

hes a very helpfull guy

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not quite true I am afraid the fact is is that all Euro cars have an airbox restrictor fitted to reduce the overall noise of the vehicle and help it to comply with Euro noise regulations if you dismantle the air box which takes a couple of minutes you will find a plastic restrictor inside this literally falls out by now yours may well have been removed.

Not sure if the USA PCM is different or not that may be a mith we have one Viper over in the UK that has fitted a an ECU but it did not make a massive difference to the HP. Plus if you are going to tune the car to the state you quote you will need a VEC2 type device to alter the factory settings or your fuel to air mix will be wrong.

Dan builds a beautiful fast car but he really needs to complete the whole job in house we have had 2 Uk cars shipped back for that work one Supercharged and one with a 650hp Endurance Engine. :2tu:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Not quite true I am afraid the fact is is that all Euro cars have an airbox restrictor fitted to reduce the overall noise of the vehicle and help it to comply with Euro noise regulations if you dismantle the air box which takes a couple of minutes you will find a plastic restrictor inside this literally falls out by now yours may well have been removed...........

That pop-out airbox baffle [external to motor] is true for Gen 1 and Gen 2....good for 10 and 15 HP, and better sound.

If your Viper is a true BUX car, and not a US/CANADA grey-market export, it has a detuned PCM. NOT a myth...