pwn3d in my S/C Viper... by my wife!

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was bound to happen eventually - with the gorgeous weather here in NorCal, both my wife and I were driving our convertibles. She took the SL65, while I opted for our supercharged Viper SRT/10. As fate would have it, we met up for dinner before heading home.. and afterward found ourselves driving home side by side. A red light with two clear lanes beckoned. I clicked over and took the free lane, looked my wife in the eye, and revved the V10. She grinned back, and it was ON.

I checked the rearviews carefully, but there was nary a cop around and the road (bayshore fwy) was 50 MPH with no side streets or parked cars. I brought the revs to 1100 and watched the light like a hawk. The cross light went yellow, I eased the clutch slightly out until it began to catch... GREEN! I feathered out the clutch and rolled smoothly into the throttle to get the SRT moving, the same technique which netted me low 1.9 60's at the 'strip. The SRT bit and I nailed the throttle. Alongside me my wife was accelerating as well, and the SL65's turbos came online at almost the same moment as I went WOT in the Viper. The two cars lunged forward instantly with the raspy scream of 22 cylinders and 1500 combined horsepower. The SL started to PULL the Viper (!!) momentarily as its midrange torque kicked in, but then the Viper surged back to parity as the SL's turbos ran out of steam and the Viper's Novi2000 reached peak boost. With a howl of protesting rubber, both cars lost traction at the same time at ~40 MPH, but the SL's electronic brain reacted more quickly than I and the SL pulled a full carlength as I scrambled for 2nd gear. A moment later the SL shifted as well and the Viper started reeling it in... until 70 MPH when the blown SRT spun its tires *again* (argh!) and the SL sailed away. Liz shut down at about 100, but the race was effectively over - the SL's traction control and monster midrange were too much of an advantage over the Viper's limited grip, and in 3rd gear the Viper wasn't gaining on the SL. With stickier tires or a longer race I think it would have been a different story, but that race has yet to be run.

So the current score: Wife:2, Treynor:0

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With better gas pedal control it would have been a different race.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Gee, Ben, my wife's name is Liz, and she beats me all the time too --- what's the problem??

Heh, watch it guys, I am talking about playing Scrabble, so clean up your minds, ha.

Congrats, Ben, what a great story, and positive proof behind every great man is a woman who wants to put her foot in it!!!

OP
OP
T

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A followup - I took our Viper to the track last night, on the stock run-flats. Ran pretty consistent 11.6 - 11.8 @ 129-130. Traction was indeed a challenge, but a little practice helped a lot. The keys were short-shifting the 1-2 transition to avoid wheelspin at the top of 1st, and a smooth engagement into 2nd gear to keep the car hooked up.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very good times with the stock tires Ben. :laugh:
I wish that I had been there to run against you, it would have been a fun effort to keep you on your toes.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yep, a bit more traction and you would have had her. I've done the same thing with my wife and her 2005 E-55. No chance against her on stock tires from a stop to about 70, then I reel her in pretty well. With the Nittos on the rear, as I have now, I woop her pretty good.

All in fun.

BobK898

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We were just heading back from the club and the wife and I gave Jeeves the night off. I took the Ferrari Enzo, she the McLaren. I had left the Lambo at home. More to follow.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang