Quality control may be lacking I am surprised

NeilS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Recently there has been some concern about the quality control at the viper factory. I know some of the posts discussed this. Last Thursday I brought in my Suv for a oil change at a NJ unnamed dodge dealer. I went into the showroom and there was a 06 yellow with black stripe coupe. After one walk around the car I noticed bumps that looked like ribs sticking out of the right front fender approx 2InchesX 6 inches. The car listed at 91,000, I spoke with a salesman who said they were asking 108.000. I didnt buy my 04 viper from this dealer.and never would or will. Not only did the factory final inspection fail but the car on the showroom floor was Filthy.The paint had markes and small scratches the wheels were dirty and the sidewinder wheels had scratches in the clear coat.I love vipers just like all of you guys , and if there was a dyfuss for vipers I would have reported them. I have to say I havent seen many new viper on any of the local dodge dealers, but I was surprised and dissappointed at the lack of quality control.We all love our vipers and the viper mystique ,a hand built 1500 or so cars a year the factory should be able to turn out just about as perfect examples of this great car. I thought that to be a viper factory builder was a privilage and only the best are selected! We as viper owners should demand top Quality control on all cars leaving the viper factory. If anyone wants to see the car themselves you can send me a private message and I will let you know what dealer.

Reaction score
NeilS,

Most of your comments are not related to quality control, but dealer product presentation.

The cars leave CAAP without a scratch. Was something wrong with the assembly? Could be but who knows what this car has seen?

CAAP also wants good quality control and for a hand assembled car it seems pretty great to me.

K

Kaya

The 2006 black viper that was originally going to be my car is in our friend's showroom and the quality, fit and finish is excellent. I expect my Blue Coupe will be of the same quality.

If you wanna look at bad paint..(can you say orange peel)...go check out the Corvettes. I loved my car...2002 EB Z06 but I got the car brand new with a darker color blue swirl (on my hood) in the paint, from the factory. I didn't want the hassle of repainting and heck...I drive my cars daily....but the fit and finish on the Viper is nicer than vettes. The viper is missing a few little things...but the paint is awesome on the cars I have seen.

I am not beating up on the vettes...but when GM dealers are asking 13k over sticker....well nuff said..

JKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kaya,

I think you will be very happy with the fit and finish.
The color matching of the aluminum side sills, plastic bumper, and body panels are perfect. The metallic paint is very consistent when you look at it up close.

I thought the paint quality on my vette was very good as well, but I this is a notch or two above.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ive never liked the fit and finish on the gen 1's and 2's but the SRT's always look good.

PM sent

OP
OP
N

NeilS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to tell you that the bumps in this right front fender were so obvious I cant believe that no one at final inspection saw it. Im sure most of the cars are perfect like the one I bought. I just put this post up to add to the discussion that some of the cars were coming through with problems with fit and finish. I hope my post does not offend anyone, being viper enthusiast and owner and VCA member I threw this out to you guys who saw the posts a few months ago. I have only seen 3-4 new vipers in showrooms since I bought mine in Oct 04. All have been perfect except this one I have described If I saw this in 2 minutes some one at the plant should have seen the ribs or bumps sticking out of the fender. No one loves cars especially viper like me, and I will continue to buy vipers and I sure this was the exception, but it came at a time when Viper Magazine just put out this article on factory pride and quality. As I said before 1500 a year all should be perfect.

JBsZ06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I stopped by the dealership and could not believe my eyes...

And I dig vipers ...

But this must have been one example that just missed the quality control inspection..

Really surprising...and of course the dealership that was asking 108 grand for this car must have been on drugs..

They should have at least cleaned the beast..

It was filthy..

Who sells an exotic like the viper like that? It just doesn't make any sense...

I'm sure all other viper dealers know how to present this car to the public...

Thanks for the heads up.

Reaction score
Very unlikely that the car was shipped from CAAP with a flaw. All panels are inspected and polished to perfection before shipping to CAAP. At CAAP they are inspected again for flaws caused during assembly and shipped only if perfect. The truckers inspect the cars before shipping and after.

Sorry guys It is very unlikely that a flaw could escape so many eyes.

More likely story is the dealer damaged the finish and tried to fix it.

superdavz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well you also have to keep in mind that the dealer more than likely had some 16 year old kid clean it.

When I bought my first Ram SRT-10 from the dealer it was perfect. I came back the next day to pick it up and they had some kid wash it. The paint was scratched up all over the place. They had to take the car in the back and called in a professional car cleaning guy to buff the truck.

Reaction score
superdayz - you are correct - Have learned to make sure my Vipers are not washed by the dealership. Picked up mt SRT10 hours after it was unloaded. Watched it be inspected by the Viper tech. And drove it off the lot dirty.

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A freind of mine had to drive a new coupe to Ct for the Dodge dealer he works for from NY. He said he thought it was a big hunk a sh*t......bad ride, rattles, uncomfortable, etc...Guess I wont let him drive my GTS!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

K

Kaya

The dealer that my car is comming from has instructions not to take the plastic off the seats and not to wash the car. When my car comes in, they have instructions from the owner to park it and leave it. And they have a camera to take pics as the car comes off the truck....if someone scratches my car...and I am sure I will...it will be me :) I have been super pleased with our dodge dealer and we wouldn't buy any other brand of truck......helps to have relatives there too. :)