Questin about Gts value's

RDunn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have been watching ebay for almost a month now.and i am seeing the same thing over and over.i.e..the bidding coming nowhere near the reserve.

i am in the market for a 1998-2000 GTS.i am about 3 months away from pulling the trigger on it thou.so i am starting to do my research now.So far all the cars ive seen on ebay are either salvage title or the reserve is no where near what the bid gets too.

blue book puts a 97 gts value right around 33k with 30,000 miles on it.and the bidding on ebay reflects this.on average the bids for these cars are going anywhere from 29-37k (depending on the car)

now i am new to vipers so dont bite my head off.realisticly if i was looking for a 98 gts with 25-30k on it. what am i going to pay?

thanks for helping a newb.

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just a tad under 40k out the door on my 21k mile GTS. Mine already had some tasteful mods done to it also. Some will say they will ad value, some others will say otherwise.

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that what we are seeing now is the sellers are refusing to believe the value has dropped to the level of the KBB. They are resisting letting the car go for a price around what everyone wants to pay, hoping that someone will acknowledge the price and pay what they are asking. Be patient and you'll find someone who is running short on time and must sell. That's when you'll get the best price. Also try to contact the seller if your going through ebay and ask what they will sell for if the auction continues to not meet the reserve.

Best of luck, look forward to seeing pics of what you find.

:usa:

OP
OP
R

RDunn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i am in no hurry...i really want to find a blue w/white stripes gts for around 37k....but id be willing to go to 40 for the right car.

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i am in no hurry...i really want to find a blue w/white stripes gts for around 37k....but id be willing to go to 40 for the right car.

The B/W GTS was only available in 96 an 97. You won't find a 1998 - 2000 in that color scheme unless it's a repaint.

I helped a guy buy a 97 GTS B/W, original owner, 25k miles, all stock and he paid $43k in August of 2007. I think you'll need your price range up a bit to find a really nice B/W.:)

Kmrumedy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree with Mad.

You'll have to get a 96-97 and B/W is a more desired color. I haven't seen any B/W with less than 30K miles with no stories go under $42,000.

$37K can get you a B/W with a salvage title. If you plan on keeping the car and not concerned with resale this is a good route - cars that have been repaired properly are worth it.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ebay is great for finding cars and I know a few people that even bought from ebay. But, it really doesn't have much to do with value. About 50% of ebay buyers were unhappy with their pruchase. Star City Motors bought one that came with a busted tranny. There's also a lot of rip-offs trying ebay looking for stupid people to pay for no car. Be careful.

Used Cars, New Cars, Buy a Car, Sell a Car, Car Dealers - AutoTrader.com is a better way to get an idea of prices and values.

This site has classifieds as well as ViperAlley.Com - Dodge Viper Forum and those are your best chance at finding a Viper.

Vipers are expensive to modify, but the mods don't usually add much value to their price. Decide what mods, if any you'd like and look for a Viper with those mods. My 98 GTS (stereo speakers, lightweight slotted rotors, exhaust, Roe supercharger 600rwhp) cost me $51,000. My 2001 GTS (headers exhaust, water/****, new motor with forged 9-1 pistons, ABS, VR1 wheels, lightweight brakes, new tires,etc. etc.Roe supercharger 720rwhp) cost me $55,000 in Aug. Since then I'e installed stereo speakers, Bluetooth stereo, 14" lighweight brakes on front, Roe front scoop, etc. This car is nearly perfect now.

I'd suggest getting a Viper with exhuast as the factory cats really ****. Stereo speakers upgrade makes these stereo sound great! If you want aftermarket wheels, they're quite expensive to purchase.

Good luck.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need to find the right person to buy the car from... I bought mine of Mark Burnstein who is or at least was a VCA member on this site. I found the car in the classifieds on here and probably got the best deal you could ever get..

1996 B&W GTS BONE STOCK.. The original and only owner of the car and it only had 9,181 miles for $45,000 :2tu:
It also has custom Blue and Black Venzano Interior which I heard can be very expensive. I have gotten so many compliments on the interior's looks considering it's also more comfortable then the stock leather seats.. which he also gave me wrapped up in plastic!

My advice would be to stick to the classifieds on here. You can trust a lot of VCA members with their cars. There are also a lot of nice people on here that would most likely go check a car out for you if they live close by.. that's what someone did for me in Detroit. :)

OP
OP
R

RDunn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i would like to leave the car stock...i already have 2 racecars.i want something i can cruise around in on the weekends w/o having to get the racegas and nitrous bottles out.

OP
OP
R

RDunn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My advice would be to stick to the classifieds on here. You can trust a lot of VCA members with their cars. There are also a lot of nice people on here that would most likely go check a car out for you if they live close by.. that's what someone did for me in Detroit. :)

the only place i would buy from on ebay is a well established dealership.i am really hoping to find one on here or autotrader.

i dont care where the car is,i will come get it myself.

OP
OP
R

RDunn

Enthusiast
Reaction score

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
that car has all sorts of mods.i would like a completly stock viper.(weird hearing myself say that). i am just SO sick of having to wrench on a car the entire night before so i can go drive it the next day.i have had enuff to last awhile. i want a car i can just change the oil in and fill it up with gas AND its still cool.

That's the BIG advantage of the Viper. Mods mostly only require tuning adjustments, no "getting ready". My car has serious hp and all I do to get it ready is wash, wax and vacuum. Even Forced Induction iw so reliable that all it needs is an air filter clean and ocaissional oil changes.

Think upgrades, not modifications. Changing out the stock exhaust usually means "lifetime" and since Cats plug up, Hi-flows and Cat deletes reduce maintenance.

My Viper uses 91 octane and will never see race gas. If I have a change of heart and want another 80(?)hp without using my Nitrous I can fuel the car with race gas and use the "smart card" in the Vec2 - that will reprogram the car in 30 sec. All I'd have to do is get a properly programed smart card from Roe racing. Plugs have 20,000mi. on them and don't need changing. I have a Nitrous kit installed and wired into my car, but I cannot forsee ever using it as the car already has more than enough power to flame the tires at 95mph. Nitrous wouldn't be safe to use under 140mph, and I'm not sure of that. When I try my drag radials I may change my mind, but can't imagine wanting to go faster than mid tens on street tires.

Lightweight wheels and brake rotors also require No extra maintenance.

My Viper is just as fast as my Pro-Street Duster, is more comfortable and handles better. Oh yah, the Viper gets better mileage and has bigger tires, with less maintenance.

Ted

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You don't want a stock viper. Unless you plan on letting it sit in the garage 99% of the time.

You will want full exhaust, the first time you are in a stock one in the summer months and the side sills melt your feet, you will understand.

Gears, if you plan on keep this N/A you will want gears. 6th gear is useless in these cars without gears.

ACR smooth tubes seems to be a favorite around here.

I'm sure there is more "must have" mods for a viper, but those are the ones off the top of my head.

OP
OP
R

RDunn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i could live with exhaust mods on the car...my friend has a 2000 red w/silver gts...they are pretty quiet stock.but i still think it sounds good

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that what we are seeing now is the sellers are refusing to believe the value has dropped to the level of the KBB.
This is BS. The current Market Value of a B/W is $10-20K Over the book value.
Book Value: 33
Market Value: 43-low 50's
For example near me in DE, a 97B/W w/30someK miles on it sold for $45K in the Middle of winter.

shame on you for attempting to devalue our cars...

Rdunn, in your price range, you will most likely be looking at a B/W with a history. Goodluck in your seach and make sure to have any car that you consider buying inspected by someone qualified.

Last edited:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry, but it IS the least desirable, and they do sell for a few grand less.
nice catch though, didnt mean to offend a particular color...

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should add the proverbial "in my opinion" when making statements like that. Because I'd like to see the list of your references that say it IS the least desirable color.

OP
OP
R

RDunn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
whoops,didnt mean to start a color war.

i have found a 2000 grey w/silver for 39k and a 2000 red w/silver for 39,9.

the grey has 40k on it and the red only has 25k.

i really like the grey with silver color also

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The red ones are only worth less because they're the most common. Another way to look at it is that they don't get any extra value because they're a limited production color like the Black, Blue, silver and Sapphire. Red was made every year.

'Book' value is just for insurance to pay you less.

Winter being a slow time for buying a summer car you can usually buy one for a couple thou. less. Values will probably go up and availablility go down in June.

Ted

Ted

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The red ones are only worth less because they're the most common. Another way to look at it is that they don't get any extra value because they're a limited production color like the Black, Blue, silver and Sapphire. Red was made every year.

There are 2 sides to every fence. And my logic says the reason they made red every year is to fill the demand.

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry but I agree red is the most common. and the most plain looking. but hey, the guys down south seem to like it! :)

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
whoops,didnt mean to start a color war.

i have found a 2000 grey w/silver for 39k and a 2000 red w/silver for 39,9.

the grey has 40k on it and the red only has 25k.

i really like the grey with silver color also

I would jump on the Steel Gray as it is a beautiful color combo and a descent price.

As far as mods go I am a stock kind of guy and have to say that you need to get Random Tech High Flow Cats, Corsa exhaust, Smooth Tubes and Filters and a MGW shift knob to shorten the shifter. Every Viper needs atleast these mods and they are all 100% maintenance free. I have all the above and still consider my Viper stock. :dunno: They also address the heat and sound issues. Corsa's sound freaking AWESOME, stock, not so much...

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There are 2 sides to every fence. And my logic says the reason they made red every year is to fill the demand.

Although Blue/w seems to be the most desired color, Red was done every year as Red is understood to be the most popular color. That is why Red was available every year.

Since more Red car were made, they are less collectable.

My last GTS was Red/silver, but I do admit to preferring the Sapphire/Silver I have now.

When I bought I wanted 1. modifications, 2 showcar quality, 3. about 20K mi. and ... any color except yellow (sorry) - in that order.

Both cars were excellent showing and I got many great comments on both colors. My personal preference was for Black, but Pearle Blue over Black beats that easily.

Ted

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry but I agree red is the most common. and the most plain looking. but hey, the guys down south seem to like it! :)

Disagree. Red is made every year for a reason, it sells. It is certainly not the most plain looking. Park a red next to your steel grey, sapphire or silver and they will disappear. They make red every year because they SELL red every year. Doesn't seem to be that outcry for the others or they would make it.

I own a B/W and a Red, and take both of them to car shows all the time. The red gets just as much compliments if not more than the B/W, which as we all know is considered by Viper owners THE most desirable color. The general public loves the Viper red.

-Red Viper anti-defamation league :headbang:

Last edited by a moderator:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you dont have a red. you have red w/black stripes. To me a big difference. Im a fan of the stipes on red...

Same thing with yellow, some people may think solid yellow is too much, but when striped like a BumbleBee it looks Sick...

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since more Red car were made, they are less collectable.

Hmm. Not a Viper collector. But I am a Viper DRIVER!

Disagree. Red is made every year for a reason, it sells. It is certainly not the most plain looking. Park a red next to your steel grey, sapphire or silver and they will disappear. They make red every year because they SELL red every year. Doesn't seem to be that outcry for the others or they would make it.

I own a B/W and a Red, and take both of them to car shows all the time. The red gets just as much compliments if not more than the B/W, which as we all know is considered by Viper owners THE most desirable color. The general public loves the Viper red.

And they love the GTS body style. I was parked next to a red/white SRT10 at a track meet a few weekends back, just chatting with the SRT's owner. Some folks wandered up with a big camera and I asked the SRT owner if he would be pissed if they photographed my car and not his. He's a good sport for not saying anything when they only took pics of mine. The GTS. The red GTS. The red GTS with white stripes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4