Question about dealerships

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took my '96 GTS to the dealership to have the A/C recharged, and they told me that the discharge line burst during the process. They quoted me a price of $744.00 to fix it ($137 for the part and $600 for labor and "shop supplies"). Is it normal for the dealership to break your stuff, and then expect you to pay for it?

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would find it hard myself to argue that the hose was not weak after 15-16 years. I would guess that your AC wasn't working correctly prior to the service; and that the pressure was low at that time; and for some previous period of time. Then when they charged it to normal operating pressure, the weakness in the hose revealed itself. They should have a reasonable expectation that the hose will take pressures that are seen during a normal recharge operation.

Like radiator hoses, AC hoses don't last forever; especially in the high heat near a Viper engine. Now, the labor hours do seem high; but, it is a dealership.......

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this would have never happend at Tators. lol

imo, they should atleast split the cost with you, they DID actually cause it to break

OP
OP

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm taking it to a place here on the air force base, and they quoted me less than $100 to fill the system with freon with the dye, find the leak and make a new line. I don't know what line the dealership was charging it from because they act too interested in telling me. They just told me the discharge line burst, there was only 1 left in stock in the country and it was going to be $744 to remove and replace it. Is this just part of the dreaded "Viper Tax?"

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bet they were trying to charge it from the discharge (high) side. This is why it went P O P

I would not pay them a cent extra.

OP
OP

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got tired of waiting on people so I took the line out myself, and it only took 8 hours. It wasn't the most maintenance friendly job, and I think I'd rather have a Sumo wrestler wearing golf shoes jump up and down on my gentleman's area for an hour than have to do it again. The guy here on base filled the system with the freon with dye added to it and then had me start the car and turn on the A/C to find the leak. It started leaking and the fan blew freon everywhere, and that made it an absolute joy to work on afterwards. If the people making the new Viper are reading this, if you're going to put a part somewhere that's impossible to reach...PLEASE make it indestructable!

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i hear ya, i would love to grab some of the desighn people by thier ears and make them pull some of these parts out if i could get my hands on them!!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang