Question about Viper pricing

AmericanMuscle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have been searching the internet quite a bit looking at used Vipers. I have seen both 96 RT/10's and GTS' with reasonable mileage selling for $40,000+. When I looked at Kelly's Blue Book, loan value for these cars (private party) seems to only be around $28,000 ($30k with 10,000 miles). So here's my question. Are there even any Vipers of that year going for that much, and what are some good sites to look at for used Vipers? Thanks fellas.

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
KBB uses an algorithm to price cars. If you want to know how much your Taurus is worth go to KBB. They are never accurate on sports cars. The best way to get market value is looking through sites like autotrader, cars.com, etc.

Pat_L_96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I search on line daily for 4 months for a 96 or 97 GTS and if one came up at $40,000 it was sold almost as soon as it hit the market. I bought a high mileage (32m) in 40 range and am happy I did. Thanks Mike and 1Tony1.

OP
OP
A

AmericanMuscle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree that they are mostly incorrect on sports cars, but it also seems that when banks decide on loan values, they base their maximum amounts on book values shown by KBB or NADA. I'm just looking around and would like to get a Viper in the future, but I am trying to keep it reasonable. I am thinking that if I wait a few more years, some of the Gen I/II Vipers will have some nicer price tags.

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
These are not collectors cars so if you wait, the price will go down. On the flip side, every year you wait is another Viper-less year. Life is short.

C5

Enthusiast
Reaction score

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
I do think that they will level off somewhere for what could be called a mechanically sound car. Of course junkers will fetch far less. SImilarly I just sold an MB 86 560SL that was mint and very sound. My car went for 22K. Simialr cars in similar shape go from 18 - 27K. Junkers can be had from 9 -10K. I suspect our beloved Vipers will experinece the same leveling at one point.

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look around, make a lot of low offers and you'll find one at blue book. Not!!, but it would be fun to send you out doing it!

Our cars remind me of 63-67 Vettes. Many were modded, raced and bought cheap for a long time. Later, inspite of large production numbers the market recognized them. My guess at the bottom(I can hear God laughing when I predict)
a few years from now is at about 25-30K for a Gen I and about 30-35K for a good GTS.
Buy one now, the joy is so much more than the cost!!

GoldMan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
With a new body style out... Won't the prices for Gen1 & Gen2 level out & then start to go up in a few years ???

They only made about 8000 Gen2 (worldwide) under 7000 USA, only 2600 were RT/10.
Compared to over 200,000 C5 Corvettes & over 100,000 C2 (63-67) Corvettes.

Compared to the C2 Corvette figures, what will a Gen1 or Gen2 be worth in 10 years ?

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMHO, the new body style didn't hurt the prices of Gen1&2 much. In fact, I jumped to get a 2002 GTS to make sure I got Gen2 before the good ones were taken.
We would certainly expect continous depreciation but not as signficantly as done for C4 when C5 was introduced. And soon C5's will fall prey to the new C6 design.

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree w/ sun diego. Many of these cars are moded, raced and some wrecked. Overtime, a G I or II "mostly" stock Viper will be a rare thing. As production cars get faster and faster, eventually us Americans will look back to the ole saying "there's no replacement for displacement". Stock and especially with a few mods, a Viper will always be competitive on the street. IMHO, these cars will always be appreciated and sought after for that purpose. The styling is wild and the name is legendary (in its own time). Also, IMHO, the higher mileage/worn cars will be bought for parts further reducing supply.

We'll see,

Bob

Sniper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It took me 6 months to find a nice Viper with what I wanted on the car that still had a warranty. I paid a little more than normal but everything else I looked at and called about was not in good shape.

I'm thinking about selling my Viper to build an inside basketball court at my house.

Mine's a 94 and if I sold it, I'd want to get 45,000 for it.
Everything listed is under a year old:
Eradispeed rotors
EBC green pads
18" HRE 547 wheels
Pilot Sports tires
Borla headers
Hi-flo cats
Borla race mufflers
Vec 1
Aluminum flywheel
Candy Apple red paint job
V-Mania hardtop with air duct
Autoform front splitter
Autoform rear deck wing
ZAF polished tips on exhaust
CD player
Black seats
Black dash
MGW shifter
ZAF pedals
24,000 miles
New transmission(put in under warranty-irrepairable leak)
New stearing rack(put in under warranty)
New headgaskets(under warranty)
2 years left on warranty
404 rwhp
502 rwtorque

And all work on car has been done by Woodhouse