Question on burping the cooling system

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When squeezing the upper radiator hose, is there a direction you should be squeezing towards? Toward the radiator or towards the block?

Thanks

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I doubt a direction matters. I used both hands, and tried to squeeze as much hose as possible at once. (Not going there) It seems to take forever, but it will eventually stop burping into the tank.

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is burping really necessary for Gen II cars? I have a 99, its never been burped and never complained. I thought I heard that burping was strictly a Gen I issue only ......

OP
OP
U

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GenII's have the same trapped air issues. I just can't seem to get it all out. Or maybe I already have and just am confused about what the actual burp sound is supposed to be like. What I usually hear is a backwashing into the radiator and air rushing from the the second tube into the surge tank (The line right below the overflow line, kinda sounds like a gurgling). This sound doesn't go away, though. I can squeeze on the upper rad hose all day and it still makes that gurgling sound.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The Hoses from Roe Racing with the air bleeders
You must be registered for see images

and the kit from Vergas http://www.viperclub.org/instructions/bleeders.html
bleederimage1.jpg

are both helpful in getting/keeping the air out of the system. Tom Glenn(blue/white GTS) was also trying out something.

Gen 2 Vipers can have issues with air in the cooling system.

OP
OP
U

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Marv, that setup is already next on my list. I just need to get the air out now before my next event and be confident that I truly got the trapped air out.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>Just follow the instructions and make sure both bottles have enough coolant in them. You are hearing the coolant moving when you collapse the hose. repete until no more air bubbles are seen in the top tank
<LI>Remember, you don't have to drive these cars like an S2000 so shift already....
laugh.gif
........J/K.
[/list]

OP
OP
U

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Remember, you don't have to drive these cars like an S2000 so shift already............J/K. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

laugh.gif
Okay, thanks Marv, I'll try to keep those RPM's down.

OP
OP
U

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, in summary, the trapped air can cause your engine to run hotter. The way I drive, it runs a bit hotter than I would like it to run. So much so that it distracts me and I lose concentration on what I am suppose to be doing, driving. By burping out that air, your engine will run cooler.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I burped my Vipers, I found that when the air is gone, it will no longer "far*" into the tank on the fender. I did this with the cap loosened to allow air to escape. After every couple burps...the level would have to be touched up.

OP
OP
U

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AAAHHH! So that's the secret! Leave the cap on but not tightly on. I have been trying it with the cap off!!

Thanks, I'll give it a go tonight.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang