Quick Connect Firring Help!!!

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need some advice in a hurry....

does anyone have the trick to using the quick connects on the fuel line on either side of the fuel filter?

The outboard connect is part of the filter itself; its the inboard one that is part of the fuel line that I'm wrestling with. Cannot get it off the old filter. The shop manual is of little help - referring to a tool by a part number but w/o a pic.:mad:

Does anyone know the secret for getting that little black plastic connect device to let go of what its holding on to?

Signed,

Leaking like a sieve

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you need a sleeve that goes over/around the fuel line and into the connect device. By going into the fitting it spreads the hooking clips from the inside. The tool, which comes with Chrysler fuel line replacement ends, is about 1/2" long. Looking at what I have in the garage, it seems you could pull outward on the two visible clips and achieve the same.

I think this is a picture of what you need:

http://www.etoolcart.com/browseproducts/Fuel-Line-Disconnect-Tool-Set---OTC7361.HTML

OP
OP
D

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. I bought a set of tools that look similar (reportedly for the same purpose) just now and will try them. Thx. There was a trick!

OP
OP
D

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The tools are the right ones, BUT....whoever installed the last filter pushed the fitting almost all the way up to the filter (on the filter-****** end) so you can't even begin to get the tool around the tube - because the filter cannister is in the way.

I can probably cut the tube off the old filter (I ain't strong enough to do it with side-cutters, I tried) and then slide the tool down the remnants of the tube with the filter gone.

If anyone has met this challenge a smarter way, please let me know. Amazing to think that the whole machine is crippled by a 1/4 inch too little space to get at that connector....

ViperDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try pushing the pipe and filter together which takes the strain off the locking clips. then hold them back and pull the line from the filter. may not work so well if the pipe has been forced on too far but if they are on correct that is the tool free way to get them off.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had real fun getting mine off also and I do auto repair for a living. The filter seals on an O ring and can slide in and out a little on the line. Also if any dirt gets under the metal retaining clips inside where the tool is trying to depress the retainer won't release. I spray carb cleaner and then use a paper clip to loosen any dirt then blow it out if they are stuck. Good Luck they are fun filters.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did mine and it's a royal PITA! Even if you manage to get the release clip pushed all the way in, the fuel line still doesn't want to come out. I ended up disconnecting the fuel line at the top of the tank so I could pull the filter down a few more inches. You really have to pull ******* that line to get it out of the filter. It's plastic and for some reason, really sticks in there. I used a needle nose to push and hold the clip in while squeezing the fuel line and pulled like mad on the filter. Don't worry if you break the plastic release clip. The new filter comes with one. Best of luck to you.

OP
OP
D

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas....I'm still wrestling with it. Any reason to not just cut the line and go with a hose clamp or other fuel-line fitting? These quick disconects are ridiculous! Quick, about 3 hours so far!

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas....I'm still wrestling with it. Any reason to not just cut the line and go with a hose clamp or other fuel-line fitting? These quick disconects are ridiculous! Quick, about 3 hours so far!

I haven't done mine yet so I don't know exactly what the line looks like, but if you are talking about a smooth hard line, I would not just slip over some hose and a clamp. At 60psi or so it needs to be barbed or such underneath that hose clamp. If you can access the line, which sounds like that is the root problem anyway, you could find a suitable plumbing type compression fitting to add some length to the OEM tube that is not accessible. You would want to accurately measure the tube OD - english or metric - and ensure that the fitting is for whatever the tube is made of.

Got a camera? Post a pic...

OP
OP
D

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The side I'm thnking of does have a little collar that ought to hold a clamp.

Went out and took some pix of the problem (the pix are of the new WIX unit, its much tougher to shoot it under the car....hopefully it shows the problem I've tried to describe.

Here's the fuel filter: One side has the quick connect fitting on the filter itself. Getting this one off was no problemo.

Slide1.JPG

Here's the problem end of the filter....I've shown it with the discummect tool on the tube - for reference to size.

Slide2.JPG

This is the issue I have. The hose (ont the one in the car) has been slipped so far onto the filter tube that there's no way to get the tool on the tube so it can slide inside the fitting to push back the springs.

Slide3.JPG

The only thing I can think of is to cut the tube at the filter, then slide the tool on and remove the stub of the tube that way. Cutting stuff on a gas line is not a pleasant thought though.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good pics. Once again not familiar with exactly the hose configuration on the problem side of the filter (I'll assume it's the end from the tank) if it is just rubber hose than you may have some options if you have decent access to it. Your call, just some advice hopefully.

- Cut factory end off of hose and hose clamp to new filter. Hose clamp should go between tube ridge and filter body.

- Do the above but extend hose slightly using barb x barb coupler. Add a short piece of hose for better access next time.

- Or maybe, if you haven't already tried this, get a screwdriver or other prying device and try to work back the OEM clamp so you can get the disconnect tool on and leave everything as OEM.

I have seen my filter when under the car, and my sympathies to your troubles here. What a difficult place to put it!

I'll assume you've pulled the plastic inner fender well?

Lastly, nothing rocket science about fuel lines. They have to hold 60 psi. When I put the bed tank in my Super Duty I had to do all kinds of plumbing at the switching valve. Compression fittings on the pressure side, and hose slid over smooth tube on the return side. You are working on the pressure side, so stakes are higher.

z76232

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same promblem and same tool you are using. I ground off part of the plastic tool so it would fit between the filter and hose. Cut about half of it off and it worked. It was only $5 so I figured if it didn't do the trick I was only out $5. Believe or not, it worked like a champ. Just wittle away enough to get it on.
Dave

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well crap, your problem is opposite of what mine was. I had major trouble getting the line out of the right hand side of the filter as you have it pictured. The other end (fuel line going to engine) came off easily. :dunno:

OP
OP
D

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll try whittling the tool down a bit. I thought about it but decided that if I made it shorter, it might get around the tube but then wouldn't reach the little springs. Your experience to the contrary suggests I give it a shot.

Thanks all for the ideas. I'm just chalking this one up to the Viper Gods being angry at me ....maybe I said something nice about Corvettes or something....;)

5862CIRVETTE_002.jpg

MQQNVPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Remember the key word in the part description -- it's a quick CONNECT fitting, not a quick disconnect fitting. They are designed for ease of assembly at the plant -- not specific to just the Viper plant -- without a whole lot of regard for service down the road. That's why the tools do exist though.

GOOD LUCK!!! :omg:

OP
OP
D

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember the key word in the part description -- it's a quick CONNECT fitting, not a quick disconnect fitting. They are designed for ease of assembly at the plant -- not specific to just the Viper plant -- without a whole lot of regard for service down the road. That's why the tools do exist though.

GOOD LUCK!!! :omg:

Doh! I completely missed that part! I'll drag it over to Dodge today and let them deal with their not-quick dicsonnect fitting. I tried the shaved-tool approach and it didn't work either.

OP
OP
D

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love the Vette, watcha got under that L-88 hood scoop?

I wish it was an L-88. Its a .060 over 454 with the big square-port heads, roller valvetrain and other modest goodies. It goes well, but nnothing like the Viper.:usa:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doh! I completely missed that part! I'll drag it over to Dodge today and let them deal with their not-quick dicsonnect fitting. I tried the shaved-tool approach and it didn't work either.

So you gave up? No sawzall under the rear of the car Sunday afternoon explosions while blasting through the fuel lines? :dunno:

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I assume you have pulled the wheel well liner to get at this SOB. I did mine, and can't imagine trying to get it off from below. It took me lots of cussing to get mine to disengage. :crazy2:

OP
OP
D

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you gave up? No sawzall under the rear of the car Sunday afternoon explosions while blasting through the fuel lines? :dunno:

Yup, I'm a complete wuss-dog when it comes to using the cutting torch on active fuel lines! :lmao: Would been exciting though

I did try sidecutters but couldn't even begin to get through the tube that comes out of the filter. No leverage when you're all contorted up there.

Boilermaker, yep - I did take out the fenderwell material....I found I still preferred working at it from underneath, there was just more room and more light with the wheel-well stuff pinned back.

Somebody else's problem now. I'm sure I'll pay for their trouble but I gave it everything I could on Sunday afternoon.

Thanks for the suggestions all.

:2tu:

PhilC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The "Sleek Machine" Haven't seen that bad boy in a long time. Try to keep the kids form washing it with mud again.

Have you got this ugly problem with fuel filter handled yet? Hope so.

Phil

OP
OP
D

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All done - or so I'm told!

I'll ply them for the secret removal strategy this afternoon when I pick 'er up.
:cool:

OP
OP
D

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Quick Connect Fitting Help!!!

OK, so thanks to y'all for yourhelp and ideas last Sunday.

In case this ever happens to you, here's the trick (as it was explained to me by the guy who was able to get the problem fitting apart.

He said he got the thing off without the special tool by pushing the black plastic part ALL THE WAY IN to the hose/fitting it was attached to. I haven't tried it to confirm, but he asserts that if you push it all the way IN, the springs also release.

I told him I tried it and it didn't work for me. He then said "you were probably trying to do it with your hands, right?". Duh, of course. He said you have to get some mechanical leverage on it, and described a handtool that I imagined was something like hog-ring pliers in reverse. Perhaps a couple of small channel locks (one on each side of the round black fitting) might also do.

Either it works or he's just messin with me....perhaps there's a simple voodoo curse that needs to be employed.

Thanks again for the help and advice last weekend.

:usa:

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No tool is needed. I just did one the other day. Five minutes in and out plus a little time to let the fuel drain. I have also fought with a few for 30 minutes or so. Be sure and do the top first, that way you can pull the filter down some to do the bottom. I always remove the bolt first to pull it down even to work with the top hose. It takes pushing the plastic piece in and pushing up on and then pulling down on the filter. Yes it is a pita.
Did you ever get it out Drumrboy ?
I have also found if it doesn't work after about 15/ minutes or so....quit and come back later or tomorrow ;)

OP
OP
D

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony,

Yes, someone else got it off but now I know the trick.

Missed you at the AMS last weekend.

Meet you soon at some event.

B

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine