Quick fix for blower motor rubber seal

8AV8

VCA Member
Reaction score
Parts needed for replacing the rubber seal from McMaster Carr: Foam rubber tubing
part # - 4339T17. Neoprene foam tape part # - 75315A32.

You must be registered for see images attach

The seal on my 94 was an eyesore and obviously not sealing to the hood.

Remove old seal and use gasket scraper to remove old adhesive.

Clean area with alcohol, in hindsight the vertical lip probably does not need foam tape.

Use a new razor blade to cut tape flush with top of lip. A dull blade will tear the foam tape.

Measure diameter around lip and add at least 1 inch extra for the piece of tape that lies flat around the lip diameter.

Lay out the measured piece of tape on wax paper and using the razor blade cut serrations the full length on both sides, this will allow you to form a circle around the lip diameter.

Clean with alcohol and carefully apply tape around diameter, press firmly, I used a small block of wood rather than just my hand.

Test fit the length of foam rubber tubing until you have the right fit. This material can be a little difficult to get a straight clean cut. Practice on a scrap piece. The material comes in a 6 foot length, so you'll have plenty to work with. When you are satisfied with the length superglue the ends together, don't use too much glue, you don't want the glue visible on the outside of the splice. I used a toothpick to pierce 2 small holes in the inside diameter of the seal to allow air to escape when under compression from the hood.

Remove paper backing from the foam tape and press seal into place.

I cut a long strip of wax paper and laid it over the seal and then closed the hood, I could not pull the paper out, so I'm sure it's sealed.

All done! Easy project for a rainy day. Total cost with shipping less than $25.00.

McMaster-Carr
McMaster-Carr

whitebluevipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that looks great. nice job. p.s. we are going to need more people like you in the future coming up with these kind ideas since it will be harder and harder in the future to find parts.

OP
OP
8AV8

8AV8

VCA Member
Reaction score
that looks great. nice job. p.s. we are going to need more people like you in the future coming up with these kind ideas since it will be harder and harder in the future to find parts.

Thanks, the seal is not available separately from the blower box. We will have to be creative for Gen I repairs as time goes on.

whitebluevipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, the seal is not available separately from the blower box. We will have to be creative for Gen I repairs as time goes on.

if i remeber correctly the old style gen 1 boxes aren't even available anymore. you have to go to the updated gen 2 box. make sure this gets posted in the how to section.

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow!!! Thanks for the timely write-up. I've been wanting to tackle this project for a while but haven't looked around for the parts. Mine looks much worse than yours so I'll be ordering the parts real soon. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960