Random Tech Hi-Flow Cats and Spinner Mufflers (PICS)

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want noise! I had a local muffler shop install an X-pipe from Elite Motorsports and will have the Random Tech Hi-Flow cats and "Spinner Mufflers" (Jon B – PartsRack) installed soon. Let's get ready to RUUUUMBLE! :headbang:

269First_Pictures_216-med.jpg

269First_Pictures_221-med.jpg

269FirstPictures5401-med.jpg

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks great. Take the sills of in about a year and take a look. Mine looked like that going on but and now brown with rust.

Random makes some pretty low quality stuff. Its not true stainless.

I bet that is going to sound bad ass though.

OP
OP
G

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks great. Take the sills of in about a year and take a look. Mine looked like that going on but and now brown with rust.

Random makes some pretty low quality stuff. Its not true stainless.

I bet that is going to sound bad ass though.

Thanks for the feedback. How do the stock cats look after a year? I wonder if all cats tend to turn brown eventually?

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The stock cats looked pretty good, although I ditched them pretty quickly when the car was new. The random cats I have turned brown but I think it will be a LONG time before they rust through.

OP
OP
G

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am surprised to hear about the questionable quality of Random Techs. I guess I should have done a little more research. Oh well, I will keep an eye on the situation and change them out if rust becomes a problem. Anyone else out there experience any problems with Random Tech? Thanks.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am surprised to hear about the questionable quality of Random Techs. I guess I should have done a little more research. Oh well, I will keep an eye on the situation and change them out if rust becomes a problem. Anyone else out there experience any problems with Random Tech? Thanks.

My friend gor a "Randomtech" exhause for his Camaro. It literally rusted off in less than 1 year.

Of course you get what you pay for. When they rust out. Just yank them and put in pipes.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
They are probably using 308 stainless, which is easier to form, but not as rust resistant as the harder 318, and grades above.

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed the Spin Tech's on my Gen1. Without cats.
What a drone !
People hear me before they see me :)

OP
OP
G

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the info guys. I have learned my lesson as far as research is concerned. I should have researched more old threads concerning this topic so that I could fully understand the pros/cons of Random Tech. Anyone out NOT have a problem with Random Tech hi-flow cats? Thanks.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the info guys. I have learned my lesson as far as research is concerned. I should have researched more old threads concerning this topic so that I could fully understand the pros/cons of Random Tech. Anyone out NOT have a problem with Random Tech hi-flow cats? Thanks.

The Random cats are fine. They just get rusty. Mine are about 2 years old and are covered with rust, but have not rusted through. If it was an external visable piece, I would be mad, but since its not rusted through and you cant see them they are fine.

They work well. I would NOT say that you made a bad decision.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary,
I had the random tech high flow substrate $500 cats.
they were fine but made the car too loud to enjoy with no mufflers and B&B catback
behind them.
so i went back to stock cats.....
but the install looks great how is the sound?
neighbors complain yet..?

OP
OP
G

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary,
I had the random tech high flow substrate $500 cats.
they were fine but made the car too loud to enjoy with no mufflers and B&B catback
behind them.
so i went back to stock cats.....
but the install looks great how is the sound?
neighbors complain yet..?

Thanks, my Yellow Brother. I have not installed the system yet but I hope to do so by the end of next week. I am currently searching for a set of ear plugs. :D

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the cat SHIELD rusting or the inlet / outlet pipes and cat itself that is deteriorating?

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the cat SHIELD rusting or the inlet / outlet pipes and cat itself that is deteriorating?

On mine the entire thing is covered with rust. The cat and inlet/outlet. Nothing is rusting through though. Im not worried about it. If it falls apart ill stick a straight pipe in.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can't because of the platinum washed (catalyst) fine mesh (or whatever other material) screen that is inside the cat.

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any feedback on quality of Sean Roe high flows? I was dead set on getting RT until this story about rusting out...

thanks

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

The cats are warranteed 5 years! We have NEVER replaced a rusted-thru (or rust-affected) Random Cat. In fact, we tried to process aclaim once that was NOT a RandomCat altho the seller told the buyer it was !!

The bodies of the cats are stainless. The metal honeycomb needs NO shields, and stays very shiny. The main body of the stainless/ceramic cats is probably shiny, but the twin heatshields welded on may be showing surface rust, exacerbated by the heat. But performance is warranted 5 years ! Buy with confidence. RANDOM WOULD APPRECIATE PHOTOS to determine the answer, and IF the cats are truly RT.

OP
OP
G

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who cares . . . It a fricking cat. If it falls apart in 5 years stick a new one in. Its not like you can see it.

My thoughts exactly. If there was ever a problem, I would simply call up Jon B. and buy replacment cats. Of course, it is clear from Jon's message, that problems with Random Tech are really nothing to worry about given the warranty. :)

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will throw my 2cents in here.

I have a RT cat on my daily driven VR4 and it has no rust on it after 4+ years of dry, rain, and snowy conditions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi