random tech or roe high flow cats

SuperSaiks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a 2000 rt with mopar/borla exhaust already on the car. I want to install high flow cats.

Which would be best random techs from partsrack or roe ovals from roe racing..

Also is one easier to install then the other given my mopar/borla exhaust ie welding or clamps,,, I am assuming that i would need a 2.5" to a 3" pipe to connect the stock headers to the high flow cats.

Thanks in advance

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have installed both.

Roe will supply the cats with the correct pipe lenghth, for you application,
with the ends prepared ready to install. The downside is they are oval so the orientation in the side sill critical.

The Random T are smaller so no orientation issues. To prep for install take them to a Midas shop with your measurements.

Sound about the same, can't comment on performance differences.

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hi-jack your post, but I have a question. I have the random tech exhaust on my car, it is a 99 rt/10 if that matters, but my question is how can you tell if you have hi-flow cats on the car or not. When I bought the car the orig owner put the cat-back on, but I am not sure if the high-flow cats are included with the cat-back. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hi-jack your post, but I have a question. I have the random tech exhaust on my car, it is a 99 rt/10 if that matters, but my question is how can you tell if you have hi-flow cats on the car or not. When I bought the car the orig owner put the cat-back on, but I am not sure if the high-flow cats are included with the cat-back. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks.

Pull your sideskirts off. The Random tech cats are round with a very slight "bulge" at each end of the canister and the canister is about 10-12 inches long. The stock cat canister is probably double the length with a weld around the middle. Stock cats are welded onto the flex pipe. If you have aftermarket cats, they may be clamped or you'll see an aftermarket weld. The Roe cats are oval canisters. no mistaking those.

SuperSaiks: Mr. HemiHead helped me put my RT Cats on. I love 'em. The side-sill temps are WAY lower and, in conjunction with the Corsa exhaust I have, the car sounds amazing.

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it hard to pull off the side skirts? How would you accomplish that? Also, if I do not have the high flow cats, would changing them alter the exhaust note at all...making it louder? Right now my car's exhaust note is just not where I want it to be, it is too mellow.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it hard to pull off the side skirts? How would you accomplish that? Also, if I do not have the high flow cats, would changing them alter the exhaust note at all...making it louder? Right now my car's exhaust note is just not where I want it to be, it is too mellow.

Pulling off the side skirts takes about 5 minutes, a knife or small screwdriver (for popping the caps off the screw holes in the door sill) and a 5/16 socket (and maybe a small extension). Look at the Corsa exhaust installation How-To for details. It's a piece of cake.

It's hard to say how much of my change in exhaust note was due to the cats and how much was due to the Corsa 3" exhaust, but I'm told that the stock cats are very restrictive. I would think that your tone will get a bit deeper and louder with the hi-flow cats.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Sean's oval cats. I have no doubt that both Roe and RT cats work equally well.....however, I'd suggest that you consider supporting those that support us.

Buy from Sean Roe.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'd be best off to compare CFM data for the converters from each company. Especially if you're going to mod your car.

I wrote Random Tech and got some flow figures.

Their metallic substrate Viper convertor flows 598cfm, and their ceramic substrate Viper converter flows 426 cfm.

That would work out to:

A pair of their 598cfm converters supporting up to 543hp w/o HP loss due to converter restriction.

A pair of their 426cfm converters supporting up to 387hp w/o HP loss due to converter restriction.

I don't know what the CFM figures are for Sean Roe's CATS.

There are some vendors supporting the VCA-if nothing else by paying to advertise on it, that sell CATS from both companies. So along with ease of installation, price etc., your primary goal really ought to be making sure your putting the best product on your car.

In this case, the CAT that flows enough, or more than enough CFM for your HP needs. (no restriction)

OP
OP
S

SuperSaiks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can both suppliers pre weld the reducer from the headers to the cats (2.5" to 3" high flows) and then from the cats to the mopar exhaust i'm assuming its just a clamp right'

Anyone have a mopar'borla exhaust with high flows

JimT 99RT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
G

grcforce327

I have installed both.

with the ends prepared ready to install. The downside is they are oval so the orientation in the side sill critical.

The Random T are smaller so no orientation issues. To prep for install take them to a Midas shop with your measurements.

There is a pic of my Roe setup in my gallery.The cats are round, so there is no orientation issue!

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can both suppliers pre weld the reducer from the headers to the cats (2.5" to 3" high flows) and then from the cats to the mopar exhaust i'm assuming its just a clamp right'

RT just ships the reducers loose in the box. It would be great if they would weld them onto the 3" intake on the cat, but I guess not everyone connects their cats to a 2.5" pipe on the front side, so they keep it generic. That's my take on it anyway.

When we did my exhaust, we took the reducers and the RT cats to a muffler shop to have the 3" side of the reducers expanded several millimeters to tighten the fit into the cat intakes (that joint was way too loose). We also had them slot the cat intakes so that the clamps could pinch them onto the reducers. The flex-pipe to reducer joint and the reducer-to-cat joint both used a single wrap of muffler tape to prevent leaks, and a band clamp from NAPA. All four joints sealed up nicely without having to re-torque anything. We had the rear of the cat pipes shortened about 1-2 inches (we hung the Corsa in place so we could take the measurement of how long the cat/reducer needed to be to span the distance from the flex-pipe to the Corsa mid-pipe with the appropriate overlap).

The whole job of replacing the cats and the OEM exhaust, start to finish (not including trips to the parts store, muffler shop, etc.) probably took us about 4 hours, maybe a little more. We used a sawzall to hack the old exhaust into pieces and remove the cats from the flex-pipe.

OP
OP
S

SuperSaiks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for all the responses but does anyone have mopar (borla) exhaust with highflow cats.

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have installed both.

There is a pic of my Roe setup in my gallery.The cats are round, so there is no orientation issue!

I see Roe is now selling a round CAT so my information is dated. The last set of Roe CATs that I purchased were oval and a PITA to install because they were a tight fit in the sill. Sean has responded. :2tu:

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for all the responses but does anyone have mopar (borla) exhaust with highflow cats.

I have the mopar / borla exhaust and just bought roe high flow cats. i will
post install with pics and let you know outcome.

tom