Rear, full range, speaker suggestions?

D.K.

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I did the (2) 5 1/2" JBL rear sub/speaker upgrade after searching this site for suggestions. I want to move in a different direction now and i'm looking for suggestions that ppl have tried for the rear 2 speakers. I'm looking for full range, as I like to hear music coming from the rear. I really liked the advantage of the JBL's in that they are totally bolt right in, w/ no modification whatsoever from the factory enclosures.

Any suggestions as to better rear speakers that will bolt right in as the JBL's do?

Also, I have 2 rear JBL subs for sale. I paid I think $170 for 2 of them a few weeks back.

:usa:

jdoc7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good luck finding rear fill with highs that actually travel to the front of the car where you can hear it. The rear speaker placement is so poor for imaging that it's really not worth upgrading them unless you are looking for better bass response, then I would suggest putting some JL 6" subs back there. As for rear fill with a coaxial of some sort, you won't hear any highs from the tweets. I've tried different coaxials and they all sounded worse than the stock 6" woofers. Unless you want to spend a lot of money dynamatting, doing custom speaker enclosures, etc, don't bother with the rear. Upgrade the front speakers and headunit and amp and there will be a noticeable difference in sound quality. Just my .02

OP
OP
D

D.K.

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good luck finding rear fill with highs that actually travel to the front of the car where you can hear it. The rear speaker placement is so poor for imaging that it's really not worth upgrading them unless you are looking for better bass response, then I would suggest putting some JL 6" subs back there. As for rear fill with a coaxial of some sort, you won't hear any highs from the tweets. I've tried different coaxials and they all sounded worse than the stock 6" woofers. Unless you want to spend a lot of money dynamatting, doing custom speaker enclosures, etc, don't bother with the rear. Upgrade the front speakers and headunit and amp and there will be a noticeable difference in sound quality. Just my .02

I already have the 6" JL subs back there. As I said in my post(although I said 5 1/2"). I already know and have read the other standard suggestions you mention. And I have alreay Dynamatted the entire rear area. I'm looking for ppl who have put in other hi-end speakers in the rear enclosures that match up w/ the original holes as the JL's did. :usa:

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I completely agree with jdoc7. I can't even hear my aftermarket rear speakers - a total waste of money. If I had to do it over, I would spend more for better front separates. I have a JL 10" sub which makes a HUGE differenc to sound.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte