Rear Gear Question

OP
OP
V

viperjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To those guys who have changed to the 3.33s. Is the car noticeably faster out of the hole. Im looking for a quicker jump.

Thanks,

Flash

Flash, that's my question too.
What I've gathered reading from this site so far:

3.33- Noticeable change. Better for road racing. Less likely to spin coming out of a corner vs. 3.55's. Maybe the best choice if you are running the stock Pilots.

3.45- Hard to find. Might be the best compromise for a noticeable difference in acceleration and still maintaining some sort of traction. Also probably more of the smile factor.

3.55- Best acceleration of the three. Also worst for traction and road racing. The other point that concerned me was someone mentioned that 3.55's were potentially needing a shift to 5th gear when going down the 1/4 mile. Every time you shift you lose a little time and potentially put more stress on the drivetrain. I've already lost my tranny- I do not want to put a quaife rear in the car.

Any thoughts from those of you who have already gone though this?

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those of us that do not race the car, but more granny cruise around at say 75 or 80 mph, what is the difference in revs at 75 or 80 mph between the 3.33, 3.43 and 3.55 gears? I will say that I am leaning more towards the 3.55 gears right now.

The only reason I am even considering a gear change from stock 3.07 is because a drive at 80 mph on the highway in 6th, it seems like it is reving way too low and at 5th it seems like it is reving a tad high for a cruise, hence my consideration of 3.55s.

Anyone with these gears know the rpms?

Also what is the strongest or best all around diff for these Vipers? If I have to pay for the service to change gears, I might as well look at changing the diff too. I don't want a full race diff that whines away but something bullet-proof, quiet and great for everyday street use. Unfortunately for me, the car will never see the track. It's a wife thing!

Thanks
Rick

Flash1034

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To those guys who have changed to the 3.33s. Is the car noticeably faster out of the hole. Im looking for a quicker jump.

Thanks,

Flash

3.33- Noticeable change. Better for road racing. Less likely to spin coming out of a corner vs. 3.55's. Maybe the best choice if you are running the stock Pilots.

3.45- Hard to find. Might be the best compromise for a noticeable difference in acceleration and still maintaining some sort of traction. Also probably more of the smile factor.

3.55- Best acceleration of the three. Also worst for traction and road racing. The other point that concerned me was someone mentioned that 3.55's were potentially needing a shift to 5th gear when going down the 1/4 mile. Every time you shift you lose a little time and potentially put more stress on the drivetrain. I've already lost my tranny- I do not want to put a quaife rear in the car.

Why dont you want a Quaife?

Flash

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks;

That is exactly what I am looking for and it is confimed 3.55 all the way baby!

Rick

OP
OP
V

viperjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks,

Flash

Flash

Just wasn't looking to unnecessarily dump $3000 into it unless I blew it up.

Flash1034

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ahhh.. Thanks. I've decided to go with the 3.33s and the Quaif Diff. Ive got an appointment on Monday to have them installed. Ill post the results.
:2tu:
Flash

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
[

Flash

A Quaife and choosing the best gear ratio are two different issues ... I've got my gear set, and I can always use those gears in a Quaife later .. if I think I need it, and want to spend more coin.

The issue with 3.45s (race gear) vs. 3.55s isn't so much wheel spin or accleration (I could spin my tires in 4th gear on the highway with 3.45s, so 3.55s must be even more so) ... no Viper really 'needs' anything more than 3.45s ... you just get to shift more

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score

3.55- Best acceleration of the three. Also worst for traction and road racing. The other point that concerned me was someone mentioned that 3.55's were potentially needing a shift to 5th gear when going down the 1/4 mile. Every time you shift you lose a little time and potentially put more stress on the drivetrain. I've already lost my tranny- I do not want to put a quaife rear in the car...

I have a set of 3.45s -- hardly used and race-prep polished -- for sale cheap...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery