Rear Gear Question

viperjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want to change the gears in my Viper to something a little more fun. I was looking at 3.55 or 3.42's. One of the dealers stated that they have had problems with spider gear failure after gear changes and tried to sell me a Quaife unit. Anyone else had spider gear issues with the stock unit?

Jim

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No problems at all. Have the 3.55 gear in my coupe. This problem was not mentioned to me by the dealer that installed the gear.

I really like the 3.55 gear.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the job is performed by a tech who knows how to install gears then you will have no problems. I would look elsewhere as your dealer is telling you he has had failures. this would tell me he does not have a capable tech.

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
If the job is performed by a tech who knows how to install gears then you will have no problems. I would look elsewhere as your dealer is telling you he has had failures. this would tell me he does not have a capable tech.

Right on Robbie...

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
3.42s available for a Viper? I have a set of hard-to-find 3.45s with only a few thousand miles for cheap ... quicker than 3.55s, but still plenty of jump compared to the stock 3.07s

Flash1034

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3.42s available for a Viper? I have a set of hard-to-find 3.45s with only a few thousand miles for cheap ... quicker than 3.55s, but still plenty of jump compared to the stock 3.07s

Why did you take the 3.45s out? What did you replace them with?

Flash

Carleton

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ViperJim

I am having the gear change as we speak along with a few other mods including the quaife differential which was recommended strongly by DC Performance with the gear change even with not tracking the car.

Carleton

-----------------------
2002 RT (Sold)
2005 Commemorative Edition #56
Mopar Race Exhaust & Shifter. K&N's,
Al. Flywheel, Quaife,355's, 170* T-Stat.
Asanti 20" AF 112s DC Performance ECM Reflash. 478rwhp/501rwtq

OP
OP
V

viperjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DC Performance was the shop who told me of the spider gear failures. I was surprised as you would think that there would not be a higher rate of failure compared to the stock gears. Maybe its due to the fact that someone who puts more aggressive gears in their Viper are probably more apt to also use DR radials and pound it more??

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was told by a couple of tuners to stay w/ the stock ratio due to traction problems w/ the taller gears on any tires except drag radials. What are you guys experiencing?

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Why did you take the 3.45s out? What did you replace them with?

Flash

I found a set of 3.33s (almost impossible to find). Both 3.33s and 3.45s make the car feel much more alive -- like a sling-shot on the highway.

DocAdam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have had 3.55 for more than 2 years now and would not have it any other way.

Far and away the best mod out there if you are staying NA. However, if I were doing it over again I would have the quaife installed with the gears.

OP
OP
V

viperjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Far and away the best mod out there if you are staying NA. However, if I were doing it over again I would have the quaife installed with the gears.

Why would you do the Quaife? Are you having problems with the stock set up?
I see you live in the DC area. Who installed your gears?

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with DocAdam, 3.55 with NA engine. I installed the 3.55 gears and mopar race exhaust on my 06 coupe and couldn't be happier. 5200 miles no issues.

Jim

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3:45 Unitrax, Roe SC, Fidanza flywheel----------PERFECT!! If 3:33s were available a few years ago when I changed, I would have probably gone that way--only because 4th gear is severely compromised about 125 MPH when you have to shift to OD. How often does that happen?.......not often enough for it to be of concern. (3:55s are further compromised)

I think putting the whole assembly in is the way to go. ...Unitrax---you can't go wrong. I think Devin told me the 3:45 is a race gear set--very sturdy. We did the job start to finish in just over 2 hours with a lift and air tools. For occasional track days and 10K miles of seasonal driving, I see no need for a Quaife rear end. I have 33,000 trouble free miles on the Unitrax rear end. The 3:07 sits in the basement---easily put back in if need be.

As for traction issues. Yes you can smoke the tires if you want to. You can also learn to feed the gas in to the point of slippage. Not that hard to do. Of course burning up a set of rears a season is part of the fun of owning these cars. I have to say the MPS can take a pretty good beating before finally expiring ;)

If I'm not mistaken, the effective stock gear ratio for a 19" tire car (SRT- 10s) is 2:92--not 3:07. Therefore a 3:55 in a SRT-10 is something less than what it is for an 18" wheeled car.

Steve

Carleton

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Flash
Do a search on Quaife. There's some good info. Here is one HERE

Carleton
-------------------------
2002 RT (Sold)
2005 Commemorative Edition #56
Mopar Race Exhaust & Shifter. K&N's,
Al. Flywheel, Quaife,355's, 170* T-Stat.
Asanti 20" AF 112s DC Performance ECM Reflash. 478rwhp/501rwtq

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Carleton,
Thank you for the info on the Quaife...we are looking to change the 3:07 to 3:55 soon on the '05 Vert...interesting reading, thx....~juli

DocAdam

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Why would you do the Quaife? Are you having problems with the stock set up?
I see you live in the DC area. Who installed your gears?

Woodhouse did the gears before I even had the car, and back when I picked it up Heffner was still in the area. Bryon Muller (you can find him through Ron Hickey) is a very capable tech and can install the gear change or the quaife.

When I bought the car I was not going to the track, so I also had Aldans on the car. Now that I go to the track every now and then I have gone back to the stock suspension and a better LSD would help me out.

If you are just driving on the street then there is no need for the quaife,

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
3:45 Unitrax, Roe SC, Fidanza flywheel----------PERFECT!! ... I think Devin told me the 3:45 is a race gear set--very sturdy.

The set of 3.45s that I'm selling was also race-prep polished (makes for less friction) ... only about 4K miles on 'em and cheap :usa: ...

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For a Gen I/II there is no need for a quaife. For a Gen III with power adders or track use I would call it a near necessity. The stock hydrolok does not deserve to be on a sports car. It can be controlled and perform very well. However, for most of us the transitions during cornering are too extreme and either cause spin outs or to run at 90%.

It has been covered here in many threads. Effectively what happens is that when the inside tire spins you get a delay and then near instantaneous torque transfer to the outside tire. When that happens you have 2 spinning rear wheels and a great spinout opportunity.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Exactly right GR8 ASP,

When I asked Viper racer Cindi Lux her opinion of the best single mod to make to a Gen III Viper, her response was install a Quaife.

I have had numerous diff failures with stock diffs. Check the archives, I'm not alone. I have Quaifes in my SRT-10 and GTS.

Funny, with the timing on this thread, the stock diff in my 06 SRTC is whining badly at only 2500 miles and needs to be replaced. The stock Hydrolock diff is very weak and will fail. Fortunately, the 08 Viper has a reworked diff.

Enough said. If you are changing gears, get the Quaife. If not, you will break.

Dan

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am interested. Question how much is the normal install?

If I recall, you need to buy a bunch of rear diff set-up parts from Unitrax for about $300 or so (get the best/upgraded pins etc.) and I think the install runs about $500.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Enough said. If you are changing gears, get the Quaife. If not, you will break.

I won't argue the GEN III stuff on a track as I don't have one. I would offer that many GEN III guys who switch rear ends don't run any tracks at all. They simply change gears for a little more snap and corners don't ever come into play. ...It's purely straight line stuff from their house. I find it hard to believe they will all break if they don't have a Quaife installed.

I know I'm on the GEN III board, but you mentioned your GTS needing a Quaife as well. I guess I'm the exception. I have 33,000 fairly hard, trouble free miles with one or two track events a year on my 3:45 rear end. 64,000 miles on the car.....bought new....Supercharged for the last 9,000 miles. It's also my goal to burn off a set of rears every season....so it's not like I'm not pounding it some. No problems whatsoever. If you are inferring that GEN II lower rear ends will break like a GEN III.......well, that's simply not true.

Steve

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth