REHASH - Sidepiping a GTS

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I was looking through some of the Archives and was wondering about the Sidepipe conversion on the GTS. A few questions came to light, but could not find answers.

1) The drone (loudness) that everyone claimed in past posts, it that similar to the RT or is it somehow more penetrating?

2) Is there a way to limit the loud "obnoxious" drone or has anyone come up with a kit to make it more harmonious?

3) Are there any emission issues with doing this conversion?

4) Will left over RT sidepipes work or is it still recommended to use fiberglass aftermarket versions?

5) Will the Corsa RT upgrade be the best choice as exhaust for a GTS conversion, or would this require custom work?

Thanks for the help guys and gals....

Paul Fischer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. The sound level is considerably higher due to the enclosed cabin. If you are just starting out at the track leave the exhaust at the rear or you will have trouble hearing your instructor at speed. Turn your head to watch his lips and you'll have two off before you know it.
2. Big motor, big sound. It's a good thing. The drone is mostly at lower rpms so put your foot into it and it goes away.
3.Emmissions are unaffected. Move the 02 sensor to the bend before turnout and you are cool.
4.Either will work. Remove the resonator and add a wider pipe and it will sound bigger. Remove the cats as well and you have a great leaf blower. Gen II sidesills are easily modified if you don't want to swap pieces and look cleaner. Shoot everything but the cats with VHT to keep temps in the cockpit down.
5. Don't know.

Joe Dozzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly as Paul said (since I've already followed his lead!) with one minor upgrade...

I'd stick with cats, but replace the stockers with a set of high-flow cats from JonB or Sean Roe - advantages are better flow and cooler side sill temps. Back these up with the stock resonator and you'll be good to go.

OP
OP
Bonkers

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Hmm... I love the looks of the sidepipes but I like being able to hear my passenger scream more. Too bad, I was hoping there was a silencer of some kind made by now...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine