removing sunvisors - 3 piece top

Richard Koch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1999 RT-10 wiih the really nice 3 pieceaftermarket hardtop. I am heading out for Salt Lake later in the month and would like some advice on whether I should remove the sunvisors. I have found that I can put the 2 hardtop side pieces in their vinyl covers and stow them behind the driver and passenger seats. I am short, so I usually have the seat slid a little ways forward. In order to keep from using up space in the "huge" RT-10 trunk I can either stow the cernter piece on the floor on the passenger side ( I am driving solo) or I can leave it in place like a center of a T-top. I have driven with it like that and it works OK. The sunvisors wind up sticking straight back and seem to be in the way. Actually, when I drive with the top off I seldom use them and they seem to look like Mickey Mouse ears when I push them up. Has anyone just taken the visors off and rtun that way? It seems like it wouldn't hurt anything, but I want to have some advice before I head off down the road. Any comments would be appreciated.

For any of you that remmeber my past post showing the red 3 piece top on my black car, I want to assure you it is npw painted black and matches the rest of the car. No more "red headed stepchild" look.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More people take them off coupe's than convertibles for vision. They do help deflect the air in the convertibles when you drive. Takes just a minute to remove. Why don't you take the drivers off today and go for a ride. For the trip to VOI, take them off, put them in the trunk and keep a screwdriver with you.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what he said, take them off and try it. too simple not to.

mine were off the day i bought it

OP
OP
R

Richard Koch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I thought I had read that a lot of people decided to just take them off. I haver never liked how big they are and the fact that they aren't very pretty or useful. I guess they can deflect wind, but the reason I got the RT-10 is to feel the wind. I will take them along just in case.

Actually I am assuming we will have great sunny weather for the drive down from Washington State.

Green Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
J in Portland took off the sun visors on all of his vipers, he often drove at high speeds with no issues.

From my experience with RT/10s you can adjust where the wind hits you when it swirls by minor tweaks in the position of the visors, really not a big deal unless you drive for a period of time but a short trip will certainly let you know what to expect. Another thought is the rear window, if it is in or out you get different airflow (I used to leave it connected at the bottom and laying forward most of the time.) You may want to try both window up and down with your visors off, then you will know how it works and what options you personally like.

Last edited:

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One more thing,I'm pretty sure you are by law required to have sun visors. Not that I would let that stop you from doing what you want.:2tu:

AndrewDoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are quite useful in a roadster. I would have felt like I was getting slapped in the forehead a hundred times a minute without them. No real use in a coupe. Unless you can't afford a decent set of shades.....