Replacement door spks

Wayne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have a JL 6W0 in mind for the center of the RT/10, was curious what speakers others have used to replace the stock door speakers (brand, size and results???)
I do not want to "modify" or cut for new speakers, but rather am looking for a direct replacement speaker that looks as close to stock as possible.
Most likely replacing the factory amp with the JL 300/4 (75w rms/ch., 150 peak/ch.)so looking for some replacements that will match up power wise as well.

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
I have Infiniti component speakers in the doors and an a/d/s sub-woofer in the center. Sounds fantastic.

OP
OP
W

Wayne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
UNRATLD:
Do you recall the model number?
What size?
Were they direct drop in replacements?
Did you keep the stock amp?

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have sony explods and they look awesome in the doors and in the center speaker.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question for any of you with upgraded speakers: did you leave the stock amp/head unit alone? Did the speakers just drop in for the stock ones? Do you have the model numbers of the speakers you put in?

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
Infiniti Perfect 6.1 6.5" component system
A/D/S 6.5" subwoofer

Had the factory amp replaced with a 750W Kicker KX550.3

The factory door mid-range speakers have 4-hole mounting brackets. I *think* the Infiniti are 3-hole; the may have to drill holes in the door bracket for a proper fit.

The Infiniti tweeters are a perfect fit out of the box.

I saw a pic of Cerwin Vega 6.5" mid-range speakers and if I remember correctly, they cleverly had mounts for 3-hole and 4-hole in their brackets, so no mods to the car door bracket should be necessary.

This is probably what you will need for your car. Look at the brackets on the mid-range speaker and you'll see what I mean about 3-hole and 4-hole.

(if you connect the dots of a 3-hole you form a triangle, with 4-hole a square)

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
UNRATLD with that system you should change your name because your trunk is gonna rattle lol.

Nice setup tho

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
Moparman,

Stock amp *****. In fact, stock EVERYTHING ***** on the Viper's sound system. Even though it's an Alpine head unit, they are old Alpine models. Dodge must have gotten a deal on old Alpine stock and figured everyone would get all gooey over the Alpine name, which most peope do. The radio installer told me that even though the unit was sold in 1999, the internals were probably from 1995.

Not used, of course, just WAY outdated.

Vipers use a standard DIN head unit, so any other DIN head unit should drop in. But there are, of course, the connections in the back to consider, and that varies on the type of amp you have, what features the head unit has, etc.

They had to rewire most of the car to get everything in mine done right.

But the end result is incredible. Now I can watch DVD with Dolby surround sound in my car. Was watching Point Break the other day in a parking lot waiting for a friend to get off work :laugh:

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not looking to add dvd capability, but I would like the system to sound better without dumping a ton of cash into it. The previous owner added a Chrysler branded cd changer to the hatch that plays through one of the FM frequencies but other than that I believe the system to be stock. For sure, the stock Apline unit is still in the dash.

You're right, when I heard the Viper comes with an Alpine unit I was expecting it to sound bad ass, but in reality it sounds like crap.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is what I did, on my gts, used the Cerwin vega HED components 6.5 with crossover & twetter, drops right in & uses stock grills, the tweters dropped in too, used Polk Audio 6.75 Co ax for the rear, The 6.75 dropped in with NO ADAPTERS the 6.5 will not fit. I bought the cewin vegas online, (do NOT buy from e bay as the cerwin vegas there are old junk(did that & the rubbers melted)) Got the polks from crutchfield.

i used the stock grills for all speakers except the tweeters & it was a drop in with no mods. I glued the crossover inside the dorepanel with RTV, they fit up near the door handle with no interferance.

I used the stock amp & flicked the little switch to the non factory setting. It sounds 1000% better & for 200 bucks it was a bargain. All who have heard it love it. Are there better systems? sure, but I tried around 7 differnt combos & the cerwins sound awesome even withthe stock speakers in the rear, but the polks add much more punch. I tried clarion, polk & Jbl in the front but they all clipped with the stock amp, I have had this set up for about 6 months now & I love it. Jazz to rock its sounds great. & its cheep!

Johann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anybody who has upgraded from the factory Alpine dash unit still have the factory unit lying around collecting dust? I'm in the market.

OP
OP
W

Wayne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is what I think I am leaning towards:

It looks to me like the Focal 165V2 would work. (6 1/2")
Never heard a set myself but they have some respectable specs. Specs for Focals
With those in the doors (or maybe the Infinity's???) and the JL 6W0 sub in the center, I can drive them all with the JL 300/4 amp at 75 Watt RMS each.
That matches to the speaker RMS ratings of 75-150W/Max
Should also keep the stock look :D
Has anyone put Focals in? Listened to them?
Wonder if I could fit a music keg in the RT trunk :eek:

Anyone know for sure what the max depth on the door speakers is?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc