Replacement of alpine head

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm not sure there is a "best". I've put two different head units in Vipers - an Alpine CDA7897 (CD/MP3/AM/FM with auto-hiding faceplate) in my old '95, and a Pioneer AVIC-N1 (CD/MP3/DVD/AM/FM GPS nav system) in my '00. Both fit fine.

Other than the standard size opening, the only issue you'll really come across is depth of the unit and the mounts. I think the depth of the dash in '95 and '00 is plenty for all units. And, if you use the mounting "ears" from your stock unit and the appropriate "post" on the center of the rear of the unit, most should work fine.

If in doubt, just pull your stock unit out - in only takes about 1 minute - just carefully pull the surround bezel out (which is snapped in), being careful to not let the metal snaps on the underside of the bezel scrape against your dash, current head unit, or anything else you don't want scratched; then remove the two screws holding the stock unit in and pull it out.

Then, go shopping for what features you want - easiest is to look through Crutchfield, then when you find one you like and verify the dimensions match the stock unit (or shorter depth), then do a google search for the model number to get the best price.

OP
OP
S

Steve 02/RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im going to upgrade to a CDA 9851 . I hear 2 different stories of what needs to be done. First they tell me a wire harness and install unit. 2nd they tell me I have to rewire to the factory amp. Anyone done it without rewiring to amp?

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Curious about same. WIll stock harness work and if not are there adaptors that prevent butchering

OP
OP
S

Steve 02/RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just purchased a wire harness that plugs into factory plug and all you have to do is wire it to new head. To change back to stock radio unplug harness and plug radio back into factory plug.

Dv8tor

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just purchased a wire harness that plugs into factory plug and all you have to do is wire it to new head. To change back to stock radio unplug harness and plug radio back into factory plug.

What/where did you get this? I'm going to replace my head unit with an Alpine CDA-9855 and a 12 CD changer and amp. A local installer says he'll need to chop the wire harness and the stock head unit can't be used again. I need to be able to put the stock unit back in. I even called Apline and they told me the wire harness must be cut for it to work correctly.

Cal Cobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Randy I just bought a clean 96' RT/10, and am considering either getting an Alpine CD m-bus changer to keep it stock, or going non-stock and getting the Pioneer AVIC-N1.

What are you thoughts on the AVIC-N1? Did you install it yourself or ? Did you get all the features going (GPS nav, digital dashboard, etc?)?

Thanks,
Cal

OP
OP
S

Steve 02/RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sound Advise in Ft. Lauderdale. The one in Boca was out but can order one. Cost is $15 DOLLARS.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Randy I just bought a clean 96' RT/10, and am considering either getting an Alpine CD m-bus changer to keep it stock, or going non-stock and getting the Pioneer AVIC-N1.

What are you thoughts on the AVIC-N1? Did you install it yourself or ? Did you get all the features going (GPS nav, digital dashboard, etc?)?
Cal,

Yes, I did the install myself - took about 8 hours, plus an hour of prep work ahead of time making a DIN-to-RCA converter for the amp inputs, so I didn't have to cut/splice any of the factory wiring (other than the power/ground/dash lights) - now, even if you get an M-bus Alpine unit, I think you still have to make a converter for the DIN/RCA. I located the remote unit under the driver's seat. Only thing I didn't connect was the back-up light lead, which is part of the GPS nav, but I didn't think it was worth the trouble (to find the lead going to the rear of the car), and after almost a year of use I've not seen any problem from not connecting it. Everything works fine.

However, I don't know if they still sell the AVIC-N1, as they've come out with a successor unit, the AVIC-N2. I don't know anything about the N2, other than some discussion about not being able to override the DVD/car-in-motion-disable. Probably not a concern to most, but the N1 used a lead going to the parking-brake switch to decide whether you could watch DVD's on the screen; so, unless the parking brake lead was grounded (which is what happens when you have the parking brake engaged), no DVD viewing. The N2 reportedly uses the GPS to determine DVD viewing - if it senses motion, no DVD viewing, and there is no way to override this.

Of course the driver has no business watching DVDs while driving, and its against the law in most/all places to have something like that running in sight of the driver, but for those that have the self control to not be distracted by something like that, with the N1 they could decide whether or not to let the passenger watch DVDs. Like I said, probably not a concern to most.

Dv8tor

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sound Advise in Ft. Lauderdale. The one in Boca was out but can order one. Cost is $15 DOLLARS.

How funny. I went to sound advise in Boca and there the ones who told me I had to cut my wires. ARRGG!!

OP
OP
S

Steve 02/RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I removed my radio today to install new head. I found out that the salesman that sold me the harness was good at what he does (sells things). The harness and what he told me were false. To install new head you must splice wires. Sorry for the bad info.

Good luck

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang