Required equipment for SRT dragstrip carnage (pics)

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Ben

How much did it cost to port the heads, and how many hp did you gain?

also about the arp wheel studs how do they look with the factory wheels can they be seen? can you still use the factory nuts with the factory wheels still?

vd..

OP
OP
T

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DC Performance did the head porting - they had to come off anyway for the valve recall, so it seemed an opportune time. IIRC the work was $2400, and picked up 30 RWHP with no other mods and no change to driveability. I imagine there's more power to be had if I added bolt-ons as well, but we like the SRT nice and quiet.

The ARP bolts stick out beyond the profile of the stock wheel, and they came with their own wheel nuts. You have to look closely to realize that they're different; I think it looks rather cool myself :)

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do you think you can post a pic of the stock wheels with the studs???

This mod is next on my list. I am planing on hitting my srt with a 200 shot of n2o I was planing on staying with the stock gear to make more traction. Will this wheel/tire setup make my stock gears even worse like 278 ratio? or rasie it up a bit?

vd..
thanks for the info

OP
OP
T

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Purner wheel+DR combo is a few percent smaller than the stock wheel, so it will increase your effective gearing. With the stock tires I would just tag the rev limiter in 3rd at the end of a pass (122 MPH) while with the Purner setup I was shifting to 4th about 150' before the timing lights. You may still want to consider gears with a 200-shot - the tires will hold the power, but without gears you'll have a lot of trouble getting off the line without smoking your clutch.

I'll grab a pic of the setup with stock wheels this evening.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the stock tires I would just tag the rev limiter in 3rd at the end of a pass (122 MPH) while with the Purner setup I was shifting to 4th about 150' before the timing lights.

Not with 3.55's, right? I hit the rev limiter if I try and trap in 3rd gear - and that is with the stock 3.07's. I always shift to 4th just before the traps. I would assume with the 3.55's you are well into 4th when you finish. Or detonate your car in a spectacular ball of fire if you stay in 3rd. ;)

Still scraping together my pennies for new gears...

OP
OP
T

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right right, this is with the stock 3.07s. The 3.55s go in next week, after which I need to arrange to visit the 'strip again.

What have you been running in your overachieving stocker?

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What have you been running in your overachieving stocker?

Alas, I have not had a chance to get it out to the strip yet this year. Last year I made only a few passes and was netting very low 12's (12.01, etc.). Couldn't break into the 11's, but they also don't prep that track at all (supercharged 2003 Z06 was running 12.8's). Eager to see what happens in Topeka at the V10 Nationals!

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The optimal spot in gearig is to be at about 95% of the redline as you cross the line. If you can do that, you will have a big edge over any car that is having to shift 150 feet from the line. Even crossing at the rev. limiter is not optimal, but still better than shifting right before the line.

I haven't figured what gear goe's best for this, but I also want to consider the best street sprinting gear for fun and all else that my arise. Tire size will interplay with this, and don't forget gearing really depends on the HP you are running. As you build power the car will cross the line at different rpm's. This is due to the fact you car will achieve higher mph in a given distance. Tom Welch really preaches this to his customers.

Skip

Skip

OP
OP
T

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've added an unflattering image of the wheel studs (rear 3/4) as well as a detail shot. From the side or directly in front/behind, the studs are invisible; I don't notice them, and no one else has ever remarked on them when they looked at the car. However, they're definitely not the same as stock.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right right, this is with the stock 3.07s. The 3.55s go in next week, after which I need to arrange to visit the 'strip again...

Maybe not too fast Ben, the last advice I had from a pro gear shop was to put 500 e-z miles on new gears with gear lube alone, then drain it and add new lube with Mopar friction modifier..

:)

XS TORQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like you are building a "milder" version of the beast! I wonder how long it'll take you to get blackballed from all ths tracks in your wife's car! :D

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know this is old but how many psi are you running in your drag radials and at what rpm do you launch at?????

thanks in advance

Viper IV

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Treynor
Was this the red viper I saw at Valeya Racing ? If it was the rear wheel wells were packed full of burnt tire rubber from the track. I saw the studs for the wheels and they hardly showed.

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Treynor, congrats on the 65. You will love it. And I can't wait to see what RENNtech comes up with for them as their 600's are awesome.