reverse light not working

Derek

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 96 GTS, recently had Hurst short shifter and skip shift elimintor installed. I was at a shop for oil change, and the mechanic told me that my back up lights in the back are not working when the car was in reverse. Did I forgot to plug somoone back in when I was putting in the short shifter, someone please chime in. Thanks in advance. Derek

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The reverse light switch is a common failure item - I know people that have replaced their switches more than once. When I bought my '00 RT/10 used, the switch had already failed (at less than 13k miles). I recall think the part cost around $30 (not sure now on the cost) and takes less than an hour to replace, depending on the tools you have available.

The switch just screws into the outside of the tranmission, so replacement is very straightforward - only wrinkle is getting to it. Some people say they can replace it without removing the plate under the transmission, but I had to remove the plate to get to it. I seem to recall I got good use out of my ratcheting box-end wrenches to get the switch in and out. An air wrench is very helpful for speedy removal and replacement of the plate, due to the number of bolts.

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never use reverse! The Viper should always, always be moving forward!!!

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I had my 02, I replaced mine with 3000 miles on it.

S-JC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Take the plate below the tranny off to do the job--it takes one minute to remove the plate and will make it so much easier. My reverse light switch failed 2x in the first 5K miles, but hasn't failed again (now have 20K).