review of AP engineering trunktop (Removable hardtop)

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As many of you know, I bought trunktop made for a Gen II viper (1998). So far I have had to take it back many times for problems. Some of which are latches and clamps busting off when driving, air shooting into the car through the top. I thought everything was fixed finally for the last time, until the middle panel of the topstarted raising into the air on the highway, and I thought it was going to fly onto the car behind me.

Besides these problems, it has annoying rattles, it is such an extreme pain to fit all of the panels in the trunk bag which will barely fit in the trunk. However, if you don’t use the padded bag, the panels will get scratched.

This top is still very nice looking, it can be convenient for low speed driving, and Jeff is a nice guy who tries to be helpful to his customers. However, it can be downright scary when it starts coming off driving and it's been a hassle to own so I have to take back my recommendation.

Does anyone know how much a new softop would cost me?

BobK898

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rattles are a fact of life with attachable tops. I never cared for the look of that top, the curves of it just didn't appeal to me.

MannyG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm!!! I have not had any of those problems with mine. However, mine is a Gen 1. Maybe they are different somehow.

MannyG

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at my avatar. In a word, Autoform. Granted you cannot fold it up and put it in the trunk but this top, in my mind is the best out there period. IMO. Latches under the hood and no lift whatsoever even at 160. Also andy, I have my soft top that I just had new material put on and I don't use it anymore. If it will fit your car, I may let it go for $1400. :D

OP
OP
A

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MannyG: The wind problem is at higher speeds, but yes, I think the Gen 2 tops are a lot different. Have you had the recall for the latches done on your car?

IEATVETS: Let me know if that soft top will fit a '98. Maybe we can work out a deal. Also, have you had any problems with your autoforum hardtop so far? Is it stable at high speeds and as quiet as the soft top?

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will check to see if my soft top will fit your car for you. The Autoform top came with my car when I bought it along with the side curtains. The top is great! I get SO many compliments on my top from other rt/10 owners. It is very stable at high speeds and the top doesn't really make any noise but the side curtains do. I only have those on when it is really cold out anyways. If I were looking to buy a different top, I would seriously consider the Autoform top. :D

RSenn94RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just recieved my top from AP engineering today and everything fits great. I have a 1994 RT/10. I just put the top on my car tonight for the first time and I didn't have any problems getting it on.

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andy,

First off, I want to thank you for your patience and I do apologize for the different problems you had with your top. Remember, the top is 100% guaranteed so I will refund your money or construct a brand new top for you.

Everyone,

I would like to clarify what happened with Andy's top. His top is the first Gen2 top constructed so some of the noise issues were due to components rubbing because of a slightly different measurement than G1. The measurements were documented and incorporated in manufacturing.

The big issue I had with ALL of the early tops I built was bonding the components to the fiberglass panel. My original intention was to use the traditional method of fiberglassing the components into the top. It was highly recommended by the 3M distributor that I use a 3M SYSTEM 3 EPOXY to bond the components. This was going to "save time" and avoid possible "print through". All early tests showed this epoxy working well so I began production with it. Andy returned his car for a clamp that had detached and at the time I was unsure of why. I fixed it only to find that the clamp on mine did the same thing. It was then that I was aware the epoxy was no good as it gets soft when the sun heats the top. All of the tops sold to that point were recalled and fixed using the proven method of fiberglassing the components into the top. I tried to do something extra for every customer that had to deal with this slight inconvienience (Example: Andy had his top scratched up, so I had it repainted for him). I want to thank everyone who had to live without their new top for a few days for thier patience in the matter.

I believe the Top to be a good product. My confidence in it is higher than ever. The problems to this point do not suprise me as the product is quite young and I did not expect perfection from the get go. The trick to surviving the early stages of a young product is to be sure the problems are fixed correctly and to make sure the customer is satisfied. That's why the gurantee is 100%. I do not want the customer to feel they are taking a risk.

I've had much praise over this top. The owners thus far really seem to like it as much as I do. I believe any future problems will be minor one's that can be dealt with easily. Of course, my ultimate goal is to have none.

Jeff

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally I think Jeff's top looke better than Autoform. I don't like any type of "bubble" on the roof and his is a low profile. You can't beat, even if it is a hassle to get it in the bag, taking it apart and putting it in the trunk.

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The issue of getting it into the trunk is actually the fault of the first design bag. It was too thick. The new 3 bag design is easy.

Jeff

Frank Barefield

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Excellent reply, Jeff. One can never forsee all problems with an invention. It is refreshing to observe someone who doesn't make excuses and does his sincere best to make his customers happy. I'm going to end up buying one of these. Your additude is "TOPS". Hummmmmm............ :2tu:

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Look at my avatar. In a word, Autoform.

Does look nice, but I was warned about Autoform tops by one of the gurus here. Seems the installation requires drilling into the car below the windshield and that some have experienced some water ingress as a result.

I'm getting a MOPAR top. :2tu:

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is true, but you drill 2 small holes for the latching mechanism and you put silicone on the screws and presto, no water leaks. And even it did leak a little bit it would leak in the engine compartment. No problems here.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is true, but you drill 2 small holes for the latching mechanism and you put silicone on the screws and presto, no water leaks. And even it did leak a little bit it would leak in the engine compartment. No problems here.

I think ya should get the AP top and give me yours, after all, it's got a little scuff on it. :rolleyes:

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine has a scuff in it Mitch? Where? I think you had to many beers Staurday night and were seeing things. :D

No, it's under the lip. Ya have to bend over to see it. I'm sure once ya find it, you'll be soooo disgusted that you'll hand it right over!!!!!! :D

btw, the windows go with it of course. :rolleyes:

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn, I saw it! It is deep too. I will drive up to your place and give it to you since it is now ruined. Maybe you can fix it. :D

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

now i just have to figure out how to sneek a scratch in that blower..... ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4