Richmond, VA cruise and lunch, August 19

HowardBJr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Agenda for lunch and cruise, August 19:

1. 11:30 AM meet at McDonalds at I-295 (exit 15b) and Rt. 10 West (13131 Kingston Ave. Chester, VA) (804) 530-3453

2. 11:45 AM complete radio check, hand out maps, safety briefing and depart McDonalds and cruise to Ledo’s Pizza at 7052 Courthouse Commons Plaza., Chesterfield, VA (804) 425-1002

3. 12:30 – 2:00 PM Eat at Ledo’s Pizza

Notes:

1. Rain or shine. If it’s raining you can bring your Corvette or other daily driver.

2. There are several gas stations near the McDonalds.

3. If you have family channel radios please bring them for communication between Vipers. We will cruise down our local “snake road.” It’s not called this because Viper owners live on this road! We will use the radios to warn of approaching traffic.

4. Ron Hickey will organize a cruise from Northern VA to McDonalds. Contact him for details at (703) 241-2878 or [email protected].

5. John Schwaebler will organize a cruise from the Tidewater area to the McDonalds. Contact him for details at (757) 427-0123, (757) 679-2626 (cell) or [email protected].

6. Please call or email Howard Burnette with the number of attendees at (804) 745-3255 or [email protected]. The room we have at Ledo’s will accommodate 40 people.

Howard Burnette

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds pretty cool Howard. I'll make you a deal. Come up for mine and I'll come down for yours. ;) Seriously, if I don't have other plans I'll try to come down. I've wanted to do an event down there. I did the horsepower challenge last year and will likely do it again. Should I invite my neighbor with the C6 Z06?

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree! But if I recall correctly they have to be part of the Richmond Corvette Club. They did join a corvette club but I'm sure it isn't the Richmond one. So technically they shouldn't be allowed to count. ;)

OP
OP
H

HowardBJr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Horsepower Challenge will be at the Veterans Hospital event on September 10. The challenge is between the Corvette Club of Virginia and the Viper Club of America. There will be LOTS of Corvettes (100+) at the event however only the horsepower from the ones that are in the Corvette Club of Virginia will count in the Corvette vs. Viper challenge. This is a small club and we ought to be able to beat them. If we would have had only one more Viper at the Children’s Hospital last year we would have one.

The president of the Corvette club said he may bring his 1,000 horsepower Corvette this year. We really need to get one of Heffner’s twin turbo Vipers to the event.

Don’t forget to bring your dyno slip.

OP
OP
H

HowardBJr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We did a dry run on the cruise route today. We’ve planned a 30 mile cruise that will take about 45 minutes. Most of it is 45 mph backroads with lots of 25 and 30 mph curves.

The “snake road” section of the cruise is a 2 mile stretch of road that follows a creek bed. It has 15 mph curves with a sight distance of only 50 to 75 feet and no shoulders. Be sure to bring your family channel radios for communication between Vipers. We will use them to warn of approaching traffic expecially on this section of road.

We also will cruise through two sections of Pocahontis State Park.

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow Howard! My cruise on Saturday, a trip back and fourth, and a trial cruise on Sunday?! You are definitely getting your money's worth this weekend. Count me in and I'll try to bring some friends.

OP
OP
H

HowardBJr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Matt, we love to get our Viper out. Any excuse will do. I’m probably the only Viper owner who has used his Viper as a pickup truck. One day I used it to haul 70 pound retaining wall blocks. I needed a few more blocks to finish a wall that I was building. I couldn’t get very many in the trunk of the Viper but it was sure fun hauling them. The dock worker was in total shock when I pulled up to have them loaded. He said he son would never believe that he loaded retaining wall blocks in a Viper.

OP
OP
H

HowardBJr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Matt, Will you be able to get the Ford GT from your area to cruise with us on August 19? The one that came to your event was the first one I had seen on the road.

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't seen him. I missed the local show yesterday evening. So, I would say it is unlikely. If I get a chance though I will invite him. Thanks!

OP
OP
H

HowardBJr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We had a good cruise and lunch today. We had seven Vipers on the cruise and eight for the lunch.

A special thanks goes to Wes Wolf for letting us see his collection of cars. Arguably the lowest valued one being his beautiful blue Ford GT with white stripes. It’s some collection when a Ford GT is the low end vehicle!

I totaled the results of the survey we did at the lunch of Viper events you would like to see in the Richmond area. The top five are:
1. Cruise and lunch (tied with indoor Go-Kart racing)
2. Indoor Go-Kart racing
3. Road race
4. Drag race
5. Participation in local charity events

We have a charity event scheduled for September 10 at the Veterans Hospital. See the thread on this event.

The Website for G-Force Karts is: http://www.gforcekarts.com/ This might make a good winter event.

Wes Wolf reported that we could rent the Virginia Motor Sports Park drag strip in Petersburg for only $500 for a four hour block of time. If we had 20 cars participate the cost would only be $25 for all the passes you could make. It would most likely be on a Friday when we could schedule it. Information about the drag strip is at: http://www.virginiamotorsportspk.com/

jeffdai

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sounds like a lot of fun!! wish i could have been there:( had to get the garage epoxy on and some odds and ends done at my new house im building done, trying to get u+o done on thursday and want to be able to move stuff in the garage in the mean time. What cars were in the collection? Hope you have the event again next year!!!

OP
OP
H

HowardBJr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have not figured out how to post pictures. I've tried a few test post of pictures all to no avail.

I've tried to post them on a different server and link to them. I cannot find a link to add them to my photo gallery on this server.

OP
OP
H

HowardBJr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here are some photos of the cruise:
<br>
283IMGA0159-med.JPG

<br>
283IMGA0158-med.JPG

<br>
283IMGA0157-med.JPG

<br>
283IMGA0156-med.JPG

<br>
283IMGA0155-med.JPG

<br>
283IMGA0154-med.JPG

<br>
283IMGA0153-med.JPG

<br>
283IMGA0152-med.JPG

<br>
283Map_of_Viper_cruise-med.jpg

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, I only saw this thread because I accidently clicked the Events link ;) That Food Lion picture looks like the one at the end of Beach Road, about a minute from my parents' house?! I'll have to hook up with you guys in Richmond sometime, maybe next Spring.

OP
OP
H

HowardBJr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's the same Food Lion. Wish you could have made it.

We're doing a charity event for our veterans on September 10 at the Veterans Hospital in Richmond. See the thread on the board for more details on it. We’re doing a “Horsepower Challenge” with the Corvette Club of Virginia to see which club can get the most horsepower to the event. Last year we lost the challenge by half a Viper at the charity event at the children’s hospital in Richmond.

A highlight of the event this year will be the rides in the Corvettes and Vipers that will be given to the veterans that are physically able to ride in a car. Come help us honor our veterans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi