Ripped Off

Viper2469

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Need your help. Just recently bought a 1997 RT10 Viper. Ever since I bought it, I've had problems. Filters, sensors, gaskets, ect. Drove it less then 10 times. After putting all this money into it the engine blew. The engine shop I have it to needs to completly rebuild and says they can do it, However I am nervous about rebuilt engines. Looking for an opinion on whether I should rebuild or buy a engine out of a salvage yard. Both are about the same cost. They are quoting me $10,000.00, does this sound reasonable for a rebuilt engine.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow....sorry to hear about your experience. Check the classifieds here on Viperclub.org.

Here are a few excerpts:

This brand(not used)new motor was hand built for me by arrow racing and is 100% complete. Only needs air box,computer and bell housing.still in coffin(crate) comes with new Belanger try y headers and couplers.Complete build sheets + dyno break in run papers 600ft # tq 540hp @ 5200 I sold the car it was to go in.can help deliver.This motor will work in RT OR GTS UP TO 03 YEAR 248 9521669 OR 248 7704790 If you have a GTS that needs a motor I would consider buying the car. Bill

###############################################################
Also:

Gen II motors. Can build to your specifications, or any amount of horse power you want. Heads & blocks in stock. Call for Pricing. Race Motors available

Good luck with the repairs.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ripped off?
I suppose that all depends. Often you get what you pay for. That being said, I don't think I would put a rebuilt engine back into that car unless....the engine is an Arrow rebuild or it has been rebuilt by a reputable tuner such as Heffner, Archer etc..
Where abouts are you located? Maybe someone from your area could recomend a good engine shop that is familiar with these V10's.

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if I was going to have an engine rebuilt I'd have it rebuilt by one of the experienced tuners, I'd also have them make a few performance mods as well.

OP
OP
V

Viper2469

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the response, That is what I am contimplating I am in New Brunswick Canada, and no one has worked on a Viper. The place I have it seems to know what they are talking about and claim have worked on corvette and Viper engines out West for years, they have recently opened up there own small Auto Performance business here in NB. They say they will warranty, but I'm still nervous.

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you might think about a replacement short block from a low mileage wrecked viper around 3500 + shipping + install, but have it inspected 1st.

i have seen quite a few engines from "good" machine shops fail after the break in, which has lead me to not trust machine shops for rebuilds, do it yourself, get an arrow rebuild, or get a short block from a low mileage wreck that has been checked out.

Dave T (BADVENM)

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, after I purchased my supercharged SRT Ram the motor blew up on it as well. I wasnt told it had an unknown (to me) amount of nitrous/propane injection before the Paxton was installed when I purchased it or discussed purchasing it (from what I guess was a reputable dealer on this forum). If that information would have been shared with me I wouldnt have purchased the truck. I ended up purchasing Kevin Howeths (owner of Underground Racing) slightly used motor from his '03 Viper.

As others have mentioned, if you get your motor rebuilt dont skimp on an unknown outfit putting it back together. Go to Aarow or one of the well known highly reputable Viper tuners. In the long run (should you ever sell it) the name of the engine rebuilder that rebuilt your motor may bring more for your car then someone unknown in the Viper community.

My replacement motor cost me about 7K. I then had the Paxton re-installed which cost even more then the motor. Since the pistons are the weak point of the GenIII motors I had them upgraded.

Best of luck, it really ***** when you purchase a new (to you) vehicle only to have it blow up shortly after you purchase it. Then add the dealership telling you "thats racing" and basically acting like an a$$ only makes it worse.

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what was in the e-mail JD? I too am looking to do a re-ring, short block, or rebuild could use the info :D

SuperSaiks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live in ottawa, and when I was finally ready to buy one I looked at all the car websites include autotrader.ca, and noticed b/w RT they only made 53 of them in that colour combo.

I called them to ask what the mileage was cause it was not listed..Not that many vipers in canada let alone 1997 RT's.

OP
OP
V

Viper2469

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Small world, good decision in not buying. I wish I could have passed it up.

OP
OP
V

Viper2469

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. I guess I need to contact Arrow, anyone know a link or number

Thanks again

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
send me a PM or post when you find out what the basic rebuild cost is from arrow, I'm curious/interested but not ready for awhile.

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
$10K? WOW.

I'll do it for that price.

Mine was $2600 for bore with plate. New lighter Ross pistons. Balanced rotating assem. All gaskets etc.

DIY price of course.

These motors are very simple is design. Just got to have the courage.

Roland L-Ocala FL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wasn't Mopar Performance selling Viper engines complete from oil pan to intakes for the Gen II cars? Check that out as well, as I think their pricing was about the same as what you are talking about for a rebuild of your existing engine, but this is a brand new crate motor. The only thing that is not so good about the new engine, is that it will now not be a "matching numbers" car. I don't know how important that is to you, but to some buyers it is very important that it be matching numbers. However, you have a car with fairly high mileage, and it may not be so important at this point for the car to have matching numbers.

OP
OP
V

Viper2469

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll check Mopar performance out thanks, as far as why it blew or what I'm saying a blown engine is. The Performance shop I have it in say it is a total rebuild. Something went through the oil pump (scored up bad) Timing cover cracked, crank beat out two rods, chain is streached etc. Needs bearings, rings, camshaft, lifters,etc, etc, etc. Where I'm confident in this shop to rebuild, but would much rather drop something in with no worries. Also going throgh the stage of Wrecked VS Rebuilt whats better?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang