Roe fan kit question

ZX1100

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Installled the fan kit and finally took the car out. The fan was on when I turned the car off but didn't stay on after shutting the car down so the fan kit didn't kick in. I connected the two wires at the sensor to test per Sean's suggestion and it did turn on so the connections are all correct. Could I have a faulty temp sensor or should I adjust the sensor location? As long as the fan is running when I shut the car off wouldn't the temp be high enough to kick on the fan kit when shut off?

GONABITE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you installed the fan kit correctly and your test worked that Sean advised you to do, then only when the car is hot enough will it kick on. Not always when you shut the car down will it get hot enough to do this.

Stiffler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you installed the fan kit correctly and your test worked that Sean advised you to do, then only when the car is hot enough will it kick on. Not always when you shut the car down will it get hot enough to do this.

I agree, even if my fan is running when I shut down the engine, my Roe Fan Controller may not keep the fan running. After the car sits a few minutes and heat soaks, that's when the Roe Controller will turn on the fan for a few minutes until the motor cools down a bit.

S

SUN RA KAT

I just got back from Vipering. Within 5 minutes the fan came back on again for 4 1/2 minutes.

motomike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I installed the kit and spoke with Sean, he confirmed mine was wired correctly. I performed the same test of shorting the wires at the sensor. He said it will not necessarily go unless the heat builds up like on a hot day after running for a period of time. He told me the factory fan goes on at 207 degrees. From what I recall he told me this switch is set to go on at 211 degrees. I have run my car a few times and his kit has not turned on the fan yet. The engine just hasn't gotten hot enough.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
For the fan kit to come on, the entire engine needs to be hot enough (coolant and oil). When you shut it off, everything will equalize. If the oil is cooler, it helps bring the water temperature down. The main job of the kit is to keep coolant from beginning to boil in the heads, causing air pockets in the system.

If the kit works when you jump the wires on the sensor, make sure you have your sensor mounted correctly. The bottom of the sensor should be against the aluminum thermostat housing, with an aluminum angle sandwiched between if you don't have a timer model.

As a test, after you've driven the car for a while and are ready to stop, shut the a/c off and let the car idle (hood closed). When you hear the fan come on, shut the engine off right away. The factory fan comes on at 207 and shuts off at 200. Our kit comes on at 200 (at the sensor) and goes off at 180. The fan should come on within about a minute if the engine is hot enough. It takes a few moments for the heat from the exhaust manifolds to soak into the cylinder heads.

If you need further assistance, let us know.
Regards,
Sean

OP
OP
Z

ZX1100

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just getting worried I did something wrong because it hasn't turned on for me yet and I've shut the car off after driving it while the fan was on. I expected it to stay on after turning off the car which it didn't. I'll idle it a little after driving like Sean suggested and see if it goes on next time.

Thanks Sean, everyone, for the responses :)

OP
OP
Z

ZX1100

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The heat soaked in and the fans finally kicked on after the car was off for a few minutes :) Thanks everyone!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R