Rotary lift installed

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi everyone. There is a lot of interest in car lifts so I thought I would submit my experience with the hopes this helps with your decision making. I spent months trying to decide should I buy one of those for $1875 or spend $3275 for something I hoped would be of better quality. Based on information read on this forum, the recommendation of Jerry Dobson and the reputation of Rotary I ordered their RFP7XLT series lift. As promised it was delivered in 2.5 weeks. It arrived less the bolt kit but they UPS'd it overnight.

I began on Saturday (by myself)at 11:00 a.m. by removing my vehicles from the garage. Then,I had to remove the brush hog from my Kabota and install the front end loader to lift the components off my trailer and start assembly. I broke for lunch at 12:15 and played with the grand kids til 1:00. I spent a lot of time doing some lifting and moving things the hard way; as I said I was alone. At 5:30 (due to being unprepared) I had to make a quick trip (1/2 hr)to Auto Zone to get 12 qts of Dextron III for the hydraulic pump. By 7:30 I had one car on the lift, one under it and all the others in the garage. All that is left to do is some touch-up painting (spray bomb is included in kit). All this to say you can do it yourself with some ingenuity and extra time but an extra pair of hands would have been mighty helpful and made the job quicker. This stuff is heavy.

The supplied directions were very well written; however, there are a couple of steps that could have been made clearer.

Their list of necessary tools was very complete but I would add a couple of pry bars, an 8" c-clamp, wood blocking and a floor jack to their list of standard hand tools.

I like the safety features and the ability to adjust the safety latch bar as well as each cable at each corner. Once plugged in it worked right off the bat. I had very little leveling to do. I do hope I don't have to service the safety latches as it would mean almost complete dis-assembly of one end of the unit. This would be my most critical feature.

I didn't like a mix of U.S. and metric fasteners but this has become commonplace in any field.

All steel gauges and construction are robust-no complaints. For just a few cents they could have supplied flat washers to install under the heads of bolts and nuts where they are over slotted holes. This is a pet peeve of mine, I tend to be picky about details.

The ramps are heavy-52 lbs each. They don't offer aluminum so I will be making my own set. You do need to take them off in order for the lower car to drive under so it is best to drive the first car onto the lift then remove the ramps while the lift is still on the floor.

I would rate the paint job as average, there were many runs; especially on the round parts.

I design and build special conveyors so am familiar with this type of equipment. Like I said, I tend to be a perfectionist and am very pleased I made the decision to purchase the Rotary lift. I hope this write-up helps you to make a more educated decision on your purchase. Good luck.

OP
OP
S

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also considered Backyard Buddy (didn't like the tube over column design), Stinger by AXE (smaller columns, cantilevered cable attachment plates), and Cytech's Double Park (smaller columns, exposed pulleys, cantilevered cables). One plus these had over Rotary is that it is very easy to see and know their safety latches are engaged with the dogs on the columns whereas on the Rotary lift you have to look at them from underneath and inside the column. I like to KNOW the latches are engaged before I get unerneath the car. I was ready to order from Cytech until I read about possible corporate problems and some unsatisfied customers. Many VCA members have this lift and like it. I don't know if those were rumors as I didn't check them out. I decided on Rotary due to their reputation and the recommendation of Jerry Dobson who I don't know but have respected his VCA posts. I have no regrets with the Rotary lift.

OP
OP
S

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CODY
The price was $3275 plus tax, freight prepaid. The promotion included two jack stands and two drip trays. Its capacity is 7,000 lbs. There are four pictures in "my photos" but I can't figure out how to get them here, being computer illiterate I felt good about getting them into my gallery.

4932DSC01451-med.JPG

4932DSC01449-med.JPG

4932DSC01447-med.JPG

4932DSC01448-med.JPG

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW! RT/10, GTS, GT-2, SRT-10, Cobra and Cobra-jet(?) Looks like you'll be needing a few more lifts soon!

I didn't realize your were talking about Revolution lifts by Rotary Lift, here is there web site: www.revolutionlifts.com. In my looking at lifts, one nice thing (minor, but still nice) I found about Revolution lifts is you can choose different colors: Red, Yellow, Blue or Black. Most orthers, you were tied into one color...

PS, To post a picture, just go to the picture in the galleries you want to post, and scroll down a bit and you see something that says "UBB Code:". Just cut and paste everything after the ":" into your post.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did a Google on Rotary Lifts and came upon Rotary by the parent company Dover (of elevator fame), are they all made be the same company???

OP
OP
S

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jay-Thanks for your help and instruction on posting pictures.

ViperJoe-Yes, Dover is the parent company of Rotary and "Revolution" is the name applied to this particular lift. Jay has listed the correct web site. I am not aware of their elevator fame.

Ron Weickart

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks great. I am looking into this for myself, thanks for the informative post...

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any "expert" opinions on the sliding support sleeve on the outside of the column (Backyard Buddy) versus inside the column (Revolution / Rotary)? I have narrowed my choices down to those 2.
Thanks

Dohhunter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just installed a Direct Lift at my place. Definitely the cheapest option out there, but when you live in Canada and have to get stuff across the border, you need to consider freight, 15% tax and getting it brokered :mad:

I'm happy with my choice, its very well built and they threw in the castors, 3 drip trays and 2 jack trays. A few scratches in the powdercoat and a bent ramp corner from the shipping forklift, but nothing a can of paint and a couple of swings from a sledge couldn't get out. It was shipping in one 1500lb package, bolted to plates on both ends keeping everything together.

Hissses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked at a bunch of them at Barrett Jackson last year and was inpressed with R-Top lift. We use Rotory lifts at the dealership and it looked good but was impressed with the quality and finish of this one. Also the price included delivery and set up! Very nice to deal with as I changed my mind and wanted to get the wider one after they had already delivered and set up my lift. Came back out and changed it out, no hassles!
Just my 2 cents.
http://www.rtoplift.com/

Viperbass

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Dave for the information. I am just completing a house with a garage with bays designed for lifts. I was trying to decide between the Rotary and Cytech's. Your post has helped my decision.

Cheers!

Kurt

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good information above as I am looking for a lift. Thanks for the excellent write up and feed back.

Just curious anybody have or look into a single post lift. They are about the same price but take up less room than the four post lifts. Here is a pic of Auto Stackers Version. Cost delivered is about $3500

AutoStacker.jpg

OP
OP
S

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ACELLR8:
One feature I have come to enjoy about my four post lift is the accessability to both sides and ends of my car. This is very handy for waxing all around and detailing the underneath; I roll the car forward and backward to let it overhang the lift in order to clean under the front and back. The column on the single post lift would require one to turn the car around in order to get at both sides; however, not having four posts enables one to access the lower vehicle better. I bought the Revolution lift with the longer distance between columns to give me more clearance around the lower vehicle; you can see this in the photo above.

I would think the single post lift would require thicker concrete and substantial anchors to secure it whereas the four post doesn't require lagging to the floor; it is self supporting. Plus, after using it, I found that I wanted to move it slightly forward in my garage. This would be possible, but more difficult with the single post.

One last thing; you can purchase a caster kit for a four post should you want to move the lift around.

More food for thought anyway.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang