Rotor resurfacing...do I have to?

cagleman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Going to be changing my brake pads shortly myself and was wondering how important it is to have your rotors resurfaced before installing new pads. I will probably be going with the EBC Greenstuff pads. I saw an earlier thread about these pads and someone mentioned that, if you go with these pads, you definitely should resurface the rotors. Why would pad selection make the difference on resurfacing or not resurfacing?

Sorry for the (more than likely) amateur question...I just want my facts straight.

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just got mine turned for $10 each. I've gone back and forth installing race pads and taking them off for events without turning. These were showing some serious wear and heat and are an extra set. If you just doing a brake job I'd say turn them....it's cheap.

Carl

Gene

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got mine turned for $10 each. I've gone back and forth installing race pads and taking them off for events without turning. These were showing some serious wear and heat and are an extra set. If you just doing a brake job I'd say turn them....it's cheap.

Carl
Wow, thats cheap!

I called around one time for this, didn't even come close to those prices. Ford wanted like $90 if I bought the rotors to them off of the car, obviously it was more money if they had to take them off. Another place was a little cheaper, but nowhere near $10. More like $50 I remember correctly.

OP
OP
C

cagleman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply...I didn't realize how cheap it was! I just called Midas and they will turn them for $15 each.

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why not upgrade the rotors at the same time? Or is this a budget deal?

I just got some EBC slotted/dimpled rotors from Jon B at Parts Rack last month, and that combined with the new pads and fluid, made a tremendous improvement. The car stops way better than before.

OP
OP
C

cagleman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Anaconda...kind of a budget deal. I would classify myself as a poser :D , so the need for heavy duty stopping power/brakes probably are not needed at my level. $570 for the rotors is more than I wanted to go (though it seems like a decent deal, I suppose).

About that 3M kit...I don't know anything about it :confused: . I don't see it at the Parts Rack website...where to get?

Silver Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No need to turn the rotors. Agree with Chuck, just use the 3M kit. The idea is to simply remove any material from the old pads from the rotor.

Mark

SingleMalt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No need to turn the rotors. Agree with Chuck, just use the 3M kit. The idea is to simply remove any material from the old pads from the rotor.

Mark

Unless you have runout/warpage/heat checking...

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read an article on the StopTech site where the guy said in all his years of racing he has never seen a warped rotor. Cracked, grooved (we've all seen that) but never warped.

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just had one off my wifes minivan that was warped .022"

My viper ones were out about .010 except for the inner and outer edge which had prob .030 lip. they had several sessions on them and significant heat checking. Look good as new now.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Supra Turbo rotors were badly warped many moons ago. I believe it happens while driving aggressively under cold conditions. It is noticeable as a pulsing feeling thru' the brake pedal under light pedal pressure. Never happened on the Viper.

SingleMalt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read an article on the StopTech site where the guy said in all his years of racing he has never seen a warped rotor. Cracked, grooved (we've all seen that) but never warped.

Hey Chuck -- yeah I remember reading that article. I think he stated what many people believe is warpage is actually fracturing... It's tough to say unless you had them magged, you know what I mean? Either way, many people refer to it as warpage.

Mike

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much are stock replacement rotors?

I just bought a complete Mopar brake kit for my '02 minivan from my local Chrysler dealer: Mopar pads, rotors and all hardware, all in one heavy box for about $130.00. Not even worth resurfacing for that price....

Maybe there's an equivelant Viper kit?

RobHook

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two things:

I've probably seen 500 warped rotors. Some so bad you could see it with the naked eye. What was this guy talking about?

If you really want the rotors done right, take them to a machine shop and have them turned then have the non-directional surface applied like they're supposed to do. Midas, gas stations and even dealerships don't bother to do this. I had it done on mine and it's the difference between good brakes and great ones. Good machine shops and Ferrari shops (Ferrari requires it) have the equipment to do this. It'll look like two (or four) small, round pads that attach to the lathe and turn on the rotor as a separate process after the machine turning is done. My machine shop did mine for $25 each WITH the non-directional surface. This process will reduce brake squeal but also set the pads wearing properly from the beginning. I can't tell you how much more life it will give the pads as the EBC's I used still haven't worn out. Maybe that's saying something.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte