Rough Idle

omegac1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a new to me 1995 with 60K miles. She runs great but it idles "rougher" than I would think it should. I have done all of the normal "tuneup" stuff and it runs great thru the rpms. Looking at the engine from the outside it looks like its idling smooth but sitting in the car it shakes quite a bit. Is this normal for this car?

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's normal for you viper to idle rougher that your regular daily driver. That said, there are plenty of things that can make it idle rough (but it's probably OK)....

OP
OP
O

omegac1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I say "idles rough" I mean that the whole car shakes like its a race car with an extremely lumpy cam. Is that normal?

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although people like the "lumpy" cam of the earlier Vipers, I haven't heard it descrinbed like you have; so, probably your issue is not normal. It depends on your "sensitivity" which is impossible for us to calibrate against. Sounds like you need to find a local Gen I Viper owner to compare against.

Here is an interesting thread with some things to check out in the meantime: http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/643109

JPL

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Call Chuck Tator 914.763.3136 could be as simple as plugs, wires, feul filter, sounds like it's missing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang