RT/10 front upper balljoint thread corked?

Burgstall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am in the process of replacing my front upper balljoint on driver's side and having a bit of a hard time. In the process I learned I need a special socket for the ball joint, ordered one from the USA, and finally got the old balljoint out. Noticed the thread didnt look quite right on the old one, but didnt think much of it until I started trying to thread the new one in.

It is supposed to be tightened to 122 foor pounds, but already ratcheting it in at wrist strength the thread "corks", you can feel it. So, is there any other remedy than buying a new upper control arm? If no, where can I get one at a reasonable price? Am I completely SOL?

Attachments

• 20230406_192033.jpg
    20230406_192033.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 13

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can try some Red liquid bearing mount. If it doesn't hold, or if you have to disassemble at anytime in the future it will require torch heat. That will probably ruin the wishbone and require another.

OP
OP
B

Burgstall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Dean, I decided to take it off and will take it to a machinist next week to see if they can make new threads for it. Closer inspection showed that the threads had been destroyed already by a previous owner, there was a spot of weld on the ball joint.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The threads are very shallow to begin with. I believe the wishbones holes are punched and swaged slightly undersize in successive operations. Next, the ball joints are driven in square by machine in a fixture. Previous owner probably got it cross-threaded off-axis to the hole and wallowed the thing out. I'd try to find a fresh takeoff and throw that one in the scrap bin.

Last edited: