RT/10 soft top

syldogRT/10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok guys, I have an Auto Form(sp) hard top for my Viper. To be honest, the car isn't made for a top so I don't want to be too critical, but it squeeks and whines like and old mans knee. Plus it's useless when you're out driving as it doesn't fit in the trunk. I don't plan to drive my car in the rain but you never know when you'll get caught in a storm, and I don't want my interior getting soaked.

I am looking for any info on soft tops from people that have them. I realize they aren't great but I would like to have some thing in my trunk that enables me to get the car home in case I get caught out in the rain! Please let me know your experiences, good and bad, and possibly where I can get one as well as pricing. I would like to get side windows also if I buy one. Thanks a lot guys!

Andrew

ylosnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even if you had the soft top with you and it rained, you would be soaked till you put it together and installed it on the car. I put mine on for the winter but don't even carry it in the summer. I see your point because I often don't drive the Viper if there is any chance of rain.

OP
OP
S

syldogRT/10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Even if you had the soft top with you and it rained, you would be soaked till you put it together and installed it on the car. I put mine on for the winter but don't even carry it in the summer. I see your point because I often don't drive the Viper if there is any chance of rain.

I see your point. Do they sell some kind of cockpit cover for the unantisipated shower? Just some thing I could throw over it and get a bite while it passe. Like I said, if there's a chance of rain I don't take it out. But I like to go on long drives and you never know what mother nature holds! LOL :hitfan:

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're going to drive, you need side windows, too. With a little practice, you can cut the setup time in half - from 8 minutes to 4 minutes?

Adding closed cell foam on the part where the top of the side curtain contacts the roof helps. Also, add foam to the door where the weatherstrip contacts it starting from the bottom forward corner of the side curtain, down and forward around the door speaker. That will stop the leaky speaker problem.

Often the top's side rail is not straight. A long time ago Biff found you could warm these in an oven and straighten them out again.

Someone from the Pacific Coast club had a long list of things to look for.

I have an original bikini top, I think someone now reproduces them. It fits in a bag the size of a basketball. I added a velcro strap around (not just under) the side mirrors and also lengthened the hooks going into the rear wheel well. I can now both put it on tighter than before and also it fits over the soft top. In my experience, as flimsy as it looks, it keeps the inside dry.

California Car Covers makes a thin material that is a complete car cover and waterproof. It too fits in a basketball size bag. The original Mopar car cover... has a nice carrying bag.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a Tonneau cover and can be used while driving, but am unsure how much water would be kept out(what year is your car?). Tom is spot on, the bikini top(cockpit cover) would be best if you want to keep it under some kind of over hang and have the cockpit cover on. This is the Tonneau cover:
1882t-cover.jpg

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should buy Jeff Lemkes 3 piece hard top from citymakers. Fits in the trunk with less space than the soft top, looks a hell of alot cooler and lays nice and flush with the back making your Rt/10 kinda look like the GTS. Check out the pics in my gallery. Its a bit expensive but well worth every penny.
Jeff is a great guy to do business with. I highly recommend that top.

OP
OP
S

syldogRT/10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the help guys. Just one quick question: Are there any modifications needed to install Jeff's top? It doesn't say specifically in the site. Thanks again for the help.

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the help guys. Just one quick question: Are there any modifications needed to install Jeff's top? It doesn't say specifically in the site. Thanks again for the help.
Jeff's top has everything you will need to install it. For a Gen II it has the quick disconnect sports bar pins. Works good and pulls on and off in 2 seconds. The first time you install it all you need to do is adjust it for your car a bit to make it sit nice and snug.

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd love to get Jeff's top but I'm 6'3" and even with a 1 inch seat lowering kit I don't think I would fit. Sure wish someone in the mid-south area had one so I could check it out :(

Bill
(I can't get a 2 inch lowering kit till I buy wifey her own Viper and that's not possible right now)

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd love to get Jeff's top but I'm 6'3" and even with a 1 inch seat lowering kit I don't think I would fit. Sure wish someone in the mid-south area had one so I could check it out :(

Bill
(I can't get a 2 inch lowering kit till I buy wifey her own Viper and that's not possible right now)
Hmm good point if your that tall b=BUT with a 1" lowering kit, i think you will fit. But dont try to put a helmet on because that definately won't work. When i ran at the track i had to slump down a bit because my helmet kept rubbing the top. I plan on doing a 2" for the passenger seat and a 1" for mine that way were both comfortable :)

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The stock Gen 1 softtops are GARBAGE. Even if you happen to get them installed before the rain hits, if it rains any harder than a slight drizzle, most leak. I hate mine with a passion. Plus the fact they're UGLY

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When i ran at the track i had to slump down a bit because my helmet kept rubbing the top. I plan on doing a 2" for the passenger seat and a 1" for mine that way were both comfortable :)
Even at only 6', I have to slump down a LONG ways to wear a helmet while driving, and then my driving really suffers. The only effective answer I have for that is to not have the top on while on the track.