RT/10 Stolen from Garage!!!

cosborn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

Usually lurk on here, but thought I would throw this one out to the viper community. I was away for a few weeks, came back yesterday, looked in the parking garage, and noticed my 1998 Red rt/10 was missing. That was not a good "welcome" home present. Even worse, I was defending my first place Silver State Classic finish on May 18, which might be harder without a car(don't think my wrangler or M roadster can average 150 over this course....).

apparently the car was last seen on April 1rst in the garage. Here is some info in case anybody sees parts or see's the car on ebay or something:

Red rt/10
Full Borla Exhaust
TeamTech 5 pt Harnesses both driver and passenger(stock seatbelts completely removed)
VIN# 1B3ER65E4WV401261

They even stole the car cove(and my brand new Gtech Pro!!!!), ya the garage is locked and the alarm and all that was on.

Looks like I have an extra red rt/10 hardtop now, any takers?

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holy Crap! That ***** worse than anything I can think of. I can't believe how calm sounding your post is. I would be too upset to type.

BTW, we met last year at the Silver State.

I'm out in Riverside and will most definately keep an eye out. Keep us posted as to any progress you get from law enforcement.

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man oh man. That is absolutely horrible! And to think just yesterday I was feeling all invaded because somehow someone got access to my Visa Check Card, which I next to never use, and charged $80.02 - how this happened, I have no idea, but it ain't nothing compared to what you're dealing with. I feel for you. I'm with Bad Byte, in that I'd be so livid I would not even be able to type. But I guess it's good that you're being calm about it. Ranting and raving won't help. Better to keep your cool and be methodical about things. There's hope. And I do hope you get your Viper back, and the guilty party is punished severely. Theft is so wrong.

You must be registered for see images

OutThere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will a Gen2 hardtop fit on a Gen1?

Sorry about your loss, hope it all works out with insurance, etc.

prodiver

VCA Member
Reaction score
Hardly any Vipers get stolen according to the insurance stastics. Very sorry about your loss. I think I met you at The Silver State last year. I was the only one there from Northern Calif. I will keep an eye out in this area for your car.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw a red rt going south on the 405 last friday. This was at about sunset around 4pm.

This car had 18inch wheels, did you put on some 18's? And I wanna say it had the soft top on it, but am not 100% sure.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I've entered it into my logs so the VIN will never come across for sale online without it being questioned. Saddly given a week's head-start means that you're very unlikley ever to see the car again. In fact a good chop shop could have the car stripped in a day and 99% of the parts sold by weekend. Is there any specific peices that have unique charactoristics - like a weird scratch, rip or rash, - that way we can double check the oddball part coming through ebay....

AviSarfaraz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[******], I feel for ya man, If someone stole my DMC, I'd Go and Shoot up those mother fu-ckers! I hope you find them, and if you need help ending their miserable lives, Im sure we can all help you.

Warren S

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Man that ***** big time! We'll sure be on the lookout. Viper's don't go around without being noticed. Any of your neighbors saw or heard your car start up? What about surveillance cameras in your area? Can you give us your license plate number, or personalized plate? Maybe someone remembers seeing it. I hope we catch these ********!!!
:mad:

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cosburn you are not even sure if you will get the car back and you are selling the hardtop already?

Hold on a couple days you never know.

Must be some experienced car theifs. Locked garage AND and alarm system.

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't rely roo much on Lojack... all they have to do is get the car either into a building with thick enough walls, or an underground garage, and Lojack is useless as its signal can't get out.

OP
OP
C

cosborn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

thanks for all the support!

It's been gone for a few weeks, so I think that there is very little chance of it being recovered. Given how it was taken(ie 3rd floor down of a locked garage) it was probably done professionally, can't imagine how else they would have found it.

The hardtop is Red factory for $1000.00 + shipping, it is in good condition, only used 5 times(for SSC and Viper days). I am going to advertise it in the classifieds in a couple days.

I must say this does ****....

Chris

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sure hope you never get your car back! Who would want a theft recovered Viper? I can only imagine how it was driven and abused during it's "time away". That's the only reason I've bought 2 new Vipers, the thought of someone else breaking them in is not worth the savings of buying used. That reminds me, I left the GTS home in the driveway with the windows down today.....and I'm at work!

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That totally *****!!!
Ill keep my eyes open for it. I am in Ontario CA. and there arent too many Vipers out here...
BTW I dont think a Gen II top will fit a Gen I.
Cheers,

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Chris, this is not good news. Sorry to read about the loss.

You know, Team Viper was counting on you and Eric to win the 150 again.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper freak- I wouldn't go around saying that, even on this board, even though we all hope it's secure. There may be a person lurking around that is kinda "mysterious". Just my $.02

JDR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I lost a (non-viper) sports car 20 years ago when I went on a trip - it was in storage.

The Insurance Co. wasn't giving me full value, and I had about 1,000 hours of restoration into it... So I hunted - every Sunday morning at 5am... for a MONTH.

Guess what - I found the custom crafted rims on some guy's car! So in come the police... LONG story short, the trail lead to the company that legally towed for area - they picked it up, and no one questioned it. They stripped it, and then claimed they had found it abandoned. They also claimed to have reported finding the "stripped" car to the police (yeah, right), but there were no records, until AFTER I had witnesses!

End result - I sued EVERYONE, including the property management. I got 100% of the car's value, 100% of attorney's fees, but zero for punitives and my time. ...and no one went to jail - darn.

Some day, some where, the parts will show up - it's just a matter of time and if someone sees them.

I bought Lojack the same day I bought the car - but would it really work if you weren't there to notice the car was taken? (I still tuck my Viper in every night... sad, I know... but it's really just to check that I didn't leave one of the garage doors open, doh... been there-done that)

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I usually jam a daily driver or something outside of my garage 2 feet from the door, at least the scumbags would have to steal 2 cars to get my GTS out, twice the effort for them.

When I take off on trips of any length if possible I'll toss two vehicles lined up outside of the garage door.

Sorry about the loss, keep us posted, that blows!

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought Lojack the same day I bought the car - but would it really work if you weren't there to notice the car was taken?

No, Lojack only works if a) you know the car has been stolen, as it has to be activated, and b) Lojack won't work if the car is in an underground garage, or a building with thick enough walls to block the radio signal.

Furthermore, you can't use Lojack to go after your car, only Police can. So hope they can get there before the car's stripped. And all Lojack gives them is a directional beacon, it doesn't actually report the car's position.

I posted a thread a while back asking if anything better than Lojack existed... a few things were uncovered (GPS related) but no one had reported trying any of them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96