RT vs GTS, Maybe Open Air Isn't All Its Cracked Up to Be!

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm a big proponent of having the ability to drive ******* in the summer air. That said, it was freakin' hot yesterday with high humidity and I realized that I was enjoying the car more with the top on and A/C rather than top off and sun beating down on my head. First came to this conclusion driving back from Saratoga show.

If I had to do it over again, think I would have gone for the GTS!

Just wanted to share.....

Btw, I haven't taken the soft top off the car yet.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having owned both GTS and RT/10 I prefer the RT/10. I just didn't like driving around with a fixed roof. I will admit that my RT/10 is hotter than hell but I always say it's the things I don't like about the car that make me like the car as crazy as that sounds. Gotta love the RT/10 :2tu:

P1000493.JPG

Last edited:

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Open air driving is fun around town and for limited high speed runs but it gets old on sustained highway runs. The RT/10 is not a Vert... It's more of a Targa... difference mainly being the ease or dificulty of changing modes. That being said I'd like to have one of each someday but I knew I wanted the GTS first becuase the second car may never happen for me.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Open air driving is fun around town and for limited high speed runs but it gets old on sustained highway runs. The RT/10 is not a Vert... It's more of a Targa... difference mainly being the ease or dificulty of changing modes. That being said I'd like to have one of each someday but I knew I wanted the GTS first becuase the second car may never happen for me.

This is exactly my mind set. I just like the GTS better anyways, but I hope to buy a RT/10 once my GTS is paid off. :2tu:

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But you haven't tried it with the top off ?

"Btw, I haven't taken the soft top off the car yet."

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This conversation has been beaten to death. Fixed roof vs. removable roof. Due to the change in RT/10 configurations, there's actually a new 3rd choice. I've had both the "targa" version (Gen 2) and the convertible version (Gen 3/4 SRT).

The decision is actually far simpler between the first 2 choices. If you plan to track your car much ("much" being the operative and decisive word), the you should own a GTS (safety, stiffness, track specs, etc.).

If you're not tracking your car, then I can't understand why you would want a fixed roof (unless your toupee glue is is beyond it's expiration date) ... which brings me to the choice of removable roofs.

The Gen 2 targa (hard top) roof (sorry, but the OE soft top is hideous looking and should be used only in the case of an "emergency" hurricane ... it looks so inappropriate that I'd hesitate to use it even in a rainstorm preferring to get wet than be seen with it in place) effectively makes the Gen 2 RT/10 into a coupe. It's even accepted by most tracks for road racing. I actually miss this option now that my roof is attached. The trade off is the exactly that, having it attached. With the Gen 3/4, you get to make the open/closed roof decision while on your cruise, rather than in your garage before you leave. Best of all worlds would be a OE hardtop that can be stowed in the car. There are some aftermarket stowable tops, but that's not what this thread is about.

There is simply nother better than having the ability to cruise ******* in the AM on the first half of a long drive and then put up the top for an A/C cooled drive home when the temp becomes unbearable in the afternoon. When the day (or often even better, the evening) is gorgeous, I'd kick myself silly having to sit inside a GTS. It's just a completely different driving experience. Top off/down and you're SO much a part of the experience, even a relatively low speeds. I have absolutely no actual info, but I choose to believe that many fixed roof owners (that don't track) make that choice having never experienced the road in an open car. Could very well be wrong, but it makes no sense to me to have a fixed roof car for street use (i.e., no tracking or street racing, etc.).

The only other factor is the "look" of the GTS rear end. I believe with the Gen 2's, the GTS rear is much better looking, while in the the Gen 3/4's, the difference is less dramatic. Nonetheless, when I consider the choice of the "rear end look" vs. the ability to remove/drop the top, the choice is obvious.

But of course, that's just MO. :D

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a good bit of seattime in a GTS and its just not the same feeling as an open top RT/10. Yes, the factory softtop is extremely ugly and prone to leaks, but on those nice days, you can't beat a RT/10, IMO.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're not tracking your car, then I can't understand why you would want a fixed roof (unless your toupee glue is is beyond it's expiration date) ... which brings me to the choice of removable roofs.

What is hard to understand? Some people, such as myself just think the GTS looks better regardless if you track it or not. That's why I bought one. :)

The only other factor is the "look" of the GTS rear end. I believe with the Gen 2's, the GTS rear is much better looking, while in the the Gen 3/4's, the difference is less dramatic. Nonetheless, when I consider the choice of the "rear end look" vs. the ability to remove/drop the top, the choice is obvious.

This is true. I've always wondered what a GTS targa top convertible would look like? Being an artist, I drew a picture of one a long time ago, but always thought it would be interesting to see a real prototype created. :idea:
Is it just me or has anyone else ever envisioned or thought about a Targa top GTS? Several cars are built that way including Corvettes, Certain Ferrari such as the F355 and of course the Supra to name a few.

Last edited:

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This conversation has been beaten to death. Fixed roof vs. removable roof. Due to the change in RT/10 configurations, there's actually a new 3rd choice. I've had both the "targa" version (Gen 2) and the convertible version (Gen 3/4 SRT).

The decision is actually far simpler between the first 2 choices. If you plan to track your car much ("much" being the operative and decisive word), the you should own a GTS (safety, stiffness, track specs, etc.).

The Gen 2 targa (hard top) roof (sorry, but the OE soft top is hideous looking and should be used only in the case of an "emergency" hurricane ... it looks so inappropriate that I'd hesitate to use it even in a rainstorm preferring to get wet than be seen with it in place) effectively makes the Gen 2 RT/10 into a coupe. It's even accepted by most tracks for road racing. I actually miss this option now that my roof is attached. The trade off is the exactly that, having it attached. With the Gen 3/4, you get to make the open/closed roof decision while on your cruise, rather than in your garage before you leave. Best of all worlds would be a OE hardtop that can be stowed in the car. There are some aftermarket stowable tops, but that's not what this thread is about.

There is simply nother better than having the ability to cruise ******* in the AM on the first half of a long drive and then put up the top for an A/C cooled drive home when the temp becomes unbearable in the afternoon. When the day (or often even better, the evening) is gorgeous, I'd kick myself silly having to sit inside a GTS. It's just a completely different driving experience. Top off/down and you're SO much a part of the experience, even a relatively low speeds. I have absolutely no actual info, but I choose to believe that many fixed roof owners (that don't track) make that choice having never experienced the road in an open car. Could very well be wrong, but it makes no sense to me to have a fixed roof car for street use (i.e., no tracking or street racing, etc.).

I don't track my GTS but I still wouldn't have an RT/10 for about a dozen reasons. First of which, I hate convertibles, targas, whatever you call them. If I want breeze I will open the windows. I don't have to see the sky above me. My wife has a true convertible and she loves it. I don't.

AND an RT/10 is NOT the same experience as driving a convertible.

Just don't care for how RT/10s look. I think that the lines of a car are ruined with a vert or targa. Except for retractable hardtop cars of course.

RT/10:

Leaks

Where to stow the top without using up all of your storage room.

Just a few of the reasons I love my GTS. To each his own.

Ron

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny... Had they built the GTS in the 70s or 80s it may have had T-Tops....:rolaugh::omg:

What is hard to understand? Some people, such as myself just think the GTS looks better regardless if you track it or not. That's why I bought one. :)

This is true. I've always wondered what a GTS targa top convertible would look like? Being an artist, I drew a picture of one a long time ago, but always thought it would be interesting to see a real prototype created. :idea:
Is it just me or has anyone else ever envisioned or thought about a Targa top GTS? Several cars are built that way including Corvettes, Certain Ferrari such as the F355 and of course the Supra to name a few.

Viper #53

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Viper GTS Indy 500 pace cars had "sunroof" cut outs. Looked great. The double bubble roof really popped visually with the cut out.

vpower01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Btw, I haven't taken the soft top off the car yet.

Well try it this evening with the top off... and then lets us know if you feel different. :dunno:
There is a time and place for everything and if its hotter than hell i will leave my hard top on.
You have a soft top its pretty fast to get off and throw in the trunk.
I love my RT/10

Roffle Waffle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I actually miss my z4 and driving with the top down in this summer weather (I have a GTS now). If you get too hot, but on a hat and sunglasses, and you'll be fine.

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've never had the soft top on my RT 10, it's too ugly. The hard top comes off early May and usually dosen't go back on until the Viper goes to sleep for the winter. The only exception is an overnight trip.

If you get hot, turn the AC on, it helps a little, if you get cold put the windows up. If rain is forcast drive somethiong else. If you get caught in the rain, you'll dry, so will the car.

In my world, with only one toy car in the stable the top needs to come off.

HHI VIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
With the RT/10 you have options, *******, ragtop, hardtop. I have had the top on my car just a few times in 3 years for a long trip or because of possible rain. Other than that the top is off. I love *******!!! :bounce: Opinions will always vary. I also think the RT has a lower sleeker look than a GTS. Everybody likes different things and thats why we have choices. I have to admit that I do like the fixed rear of the GTS though. It looks big and bad from the rear. I recently went with the Mopar spoiler and that spiffed up the back end for me and I likey! Again, some people might not like that look but I do. Opinions vary!!! CHEERS! :2tu:

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, got it all.....thanks for all the comments. I have owned Vettes most of my life, very familiar with true targas and, of course, leaky roofs.

That said, I originally bought the car for these reasons:

prefer the low ("cut off top") look of the RT

expected to leave the roof off in summer months

thought the GTS, even with a/c would be too hot on most days

I think my only regret is buying an RT without the hardtop. Based on price/low mileage and condition, I went with this car figuring I had no place to put the hardtop anyway.

So, at some point, I guess my solution would be to buy a used hardtop.

Thanks again...can always count on members to provide a point-of-view.

:D

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had several convertibles when I was younger. 68 Satellite, 69 GTX, 67 R/T. All noisey, all leaky, 2 had roofs slashed ($5,000) and all eventually got mould in the carpets.

GTS has room for the wife's 3 suitcases, Nitrous bottles and whatever I need. My buddy had to drive his vette last summer because there was a rain shower (same as normal in coastal climates). He put $20,000 worth of stereo into his Gen 1 and has NO top.

If you have a portable ipod, nav, radar detector etc. it can't be left in sight or you're softtop will get slashed. GTS is faster (4mph), looks better, rides much quieter, can be raced without needing a rollbar (because it's safer), ACR models couldn't be made in a vert.

Ted

Olddudesrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I came from a FFR Cobra, and hands down the GTS was the answer for me. I think it looks more classic. When you mention Viper to non-owners, that's the model they think of. Having an open top car is overrated. Your a slave to the weather, and after a while (a very short while here in Arizona) you want something over your head, A/C, and windshield wipers.

My .02 cents.....

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All valid points, Ted. But, to tell you the truth, my RT is truly a toy! I have two other cars (and two young children) which we use daily for everything we would need a car for. But, the RT is for those times when I NEED to drive something different. I never leave it anywhere that I can't see and, besides, It is all stock inside...stock radio, no fancy electronics...put that in the other two cars.

But, I will agree, that a coupe is quieter and has more room. For me, looks are different, not so much one better than the other...just different and its a matter of taste which is preferred. I know you like the GTS, as you have two beautiful ones...

I do like the top off when its 70 degrees, but once we hit summer in CT, its more like %^@^#&@&* hot in the high 80's/90's and very humid. With the sun beating down your head (oh, I have lots of thick hair), it is really uncomfortable IMHO.

So, not to draw this out, I just wanted to voice my opinion and see if there was agreement.

Hopefully, I can get around to buying a used hardtop to give me another option.

Thanks.:headbang:

HHI VIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
All valid points, Ted. But, to tell you the truth, my RT is truly a toy! I have two other cars (and two young children) which we use daily for everything we would need a car for. But, the RT is for those times when I NEED to drive something different. I never leave it anywhere that I can't see and, besides, It is all stock inside...stock radio, no fancy electronics...put that in the other two cars.

But, I will agree, that a coupe is quieter and has more room. For me, looks are different, not so much one better than the other...just different and its a matter of taste which is preferred. I know you like the GTS, as you have two beautiful ones...

I do like the top off when its 70 degrees, but once we hit summer in CT, its more like %^@^#&@&* hot in the high 80's/90's and very humid. With the sun beating down your head (oh, I have lots of thick hair), it is really uncomfortable IMHO.

So, not to draw this out, I just wanted to voice my opinion and see if there was agreement.

Hopefully, I can get around to buying a used hardtop to give me another option.

Thanks.:headbang:
Hardtop does make a difference. I have both. Ted is correct in the roominess of the GTS if thats a concern for traveling. You do have to pack lighter in the RT. Again, there is no "BETTER", just what "you" like better. IMO :2tu:

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Autoform top gives you the best of both worlds. It seals up like a hardtop, has very similar lines to a GTS from the front, and easily pops off for ******* runs. Plus, it's tall enough for a full roll bar for track use. It's one of the best purchases I made for my R/T. I've had other tops. Nothing compares.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a rt10 and now. Srt10....the rt10 looks very awesome with the top off..it looks lower and wider than the gts and srt10..but with the top on it is no were near as atractive as the other vipers..also that top was 35 pounds and not easy at all to change..especially by your self..the srt10 on the other hand looks intimidating with the top up but a lil limp wristed with the top down...but you can have the top up or down in 60 seconds...the thing thats kool about the srt10 is that with the top down visibility in all directions is perfect...the better and more I can see the funner I can drive the car

EFI-1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I never have owned a convertible/speedster/targa...whatever. I definitely wouldn't mind my first one being an RT10, but I think the next car on the list is the Ford GT, so my roofless experience will have to wait.

Too bad there are so few in Hawaii. I'd like to go for another ride in one to see how it feels now (Rode in the first 92 RT10 in Hawaii when it was first purchased).

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO. You buy a vert and never put the top on or you buy a hardtop. One or the other.

I'd never have the roof on if I had an RT. I would fold up the soft top and keep it in the trunk in case I got caught in the rain. If you drive around with a hardtop on you should have boight a GTS. (winter months excluded)

Doesn't Jeff lemke sell a folding hardtop ?

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup, Plum, I'm with you on this. However, it was my first (and last) Viper, and at the time I preferred the RT for its look and ability to have the top off. Of course, once you own the car and realize that, for yourself, the heat on some days just makes it too hot for the top off and the drive would be nicer with the a/c on.

Well, it is what it is and I still prefer the low "flat" look of the RT personally.

So, all, thanks for listening and for the comments!

Top is coming off today for the summer.:D

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree with Plum 100%.. When and if I ever get an RT/10 I will use it like I would a motorcycle. Plan ahead and don't get caught in the rain. Even the GTS is a bit claustrophobic but an RT/10 with the soft top on is just unbearable for me and dealing with the clam shell or even the autoform roof isn't fun.

I was at cruise night saturday night and my buddy and his wife with a 99 RT/10 left there and headed 30 minutes further from their house to visit some friends... The last thing he said while looking up at the sky was Oh $hit... I put th soft top on to wash the car and then after taking it off, I forgot to put it back in the trunk. Go figure... It was pouring an hour later...:rolleyes:

It's a trade off...

IMO. You buy a vert and never put the top on or you buy a hardtop. One or the other.

I'd never have the roof on if I had an RT. I would fold up the soft top and keep it in the trunk in case I got caught in the rain. If you drive around with a hardtop on you should have boight a GTS. (winter months excluded)

Doesn't Jeff lemke sell a folding hardtop ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale04SS