RT10 vs GTS

jamie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I plan on buying a Viper this spring. What are the pros and cons between the RT10 & GTS? Are there any? Are the RT10's windows a concern for unwanted people or rain getting into it?

Thanks,
Jamie

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I've owned both and when you have one, you wished you had the other...if you're rich like chucky...you can have both. Chuck always reminds us that he has two. He's a lucky dog. Maybe some day I will have both at the same time.

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have two dogs, but only one Viper. A GTS. I prefer it over the R/T primarily for structural reasons, but they are both beautiful.

I would suggest you purchase the one that YOU like the most. Might be worth considering that since the '03 is not a hardtop the GTS' may hold their value somewhat better.

Jeff

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Say Jamie:

Owning a roadster I am obviously biased. I think from a practical standpoint Viper 99 above has it right. HOWEVER, there is NOTHING like taking a cruise with nothing but sky above. IMHO, if you can get just one, go with the RT. For MN, get a matching hardtop.

Scott

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tough call,
I"ll tell you why I sold my RT/10, even though it was supercharged...
WATER LEAKAGE....and didn't like always having to watch the weather.....

Either or, you'll love it and want the other one you didn't choose, I guarantee it!

Gerald

tmcalist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I only have the RT/10 (at least until I win the raffle in Feb), but I always wanted a convertible and why not have the ultimate.
Pro: easier to be seen (leads to picking up women)
Con: you will get wet with the soft-top in the rain
Pro: working on the tan (important for me as a black man - lol)
Con: need to get a proximaty alarm for the folks that want to see the inside of the car by sticking in their whole head
Pro: ladies love the look of the car
Con: you will get wet
Pro: Did I mention the women?

Just kidding. You can't go wrong with either, but you will spend a lot of time on www.weather.com to check the forecast more with a RT/10 vs. the GTS.
cool.gif

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As soon as I am done paying for the RT10. I'm gonna get me one of those GTS's too.

shhhhh do not mention this to my wife.

Riding behind a GTS and they hit the brakes, and That snake lights up;

Just a friendly reminder that you are following the baddest and one of the finest autos made, end of story.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The real question is...... Do you want fast or faster?

Co-efficiency of drag on the GTS is better than the RT-10.

pj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you plan to drive in adverse weather or only in the sun?

I've had 2 GTSs and 1 RT/10 and I'll go ******* from now on! I rarely even put the top on the Roadster - only when I was going to actually get out of the car somewhere.

Robert1994

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never driven a GTS, but I have driven MY RT/10 most
of the time with the soft top on simply because of weather
conditions here (it's tough to drive for more than an hour or so in either direction with out encountering at least "ominous"
clouds.)
Last weekend, the weather was predicted GREAT for the whole island and I indeed packed the top into the "trunk" and took
off...What a GREAT car ! You play with the rear window (up
or down) and then play with the sun visors to work with the
wind factors, even the radio keeps up with you !
Again, I've never driven the coupe, but the ******* roadster
sure seems hard to beat.
P.S. Averaged about 25 miles per gallon on a 350 mile trip.

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jamie,

Its your money...you gotta get what you like! I bought the GTS because I liked it...nothing against the RT/10(it is a super car).

C Stegall
01 GTS

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This question ranks up there with best headers and what type of wax, as the most often asked.

I've always thought the answer was simple. I think the RT/10 looks better. Some like the GTS. My RT/10 leaks a little with the hard top and a lot with the soft top. Other than that there is no difference. Regardless, I love them both. If I were living up north I may have gotten the GTS first.

Viper99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My RT/10 doesn't leak. That doesn't mean they all don't. As Robert DeNiro would say "I've heard stories".
I think it comes down to this.
If you are buying for mostly leisure, fun- around- town driving, go with the roadster.
If you plan on doing a significant amount of track driving, then the GTS.

DanElam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My $0.02

I thought about both and decided on the RT/10. It leaks. I drove it once in a really heavy storm and it was miserable. Even the hardtop only helps a little. I don't care what others say, but mine isn't practical as a daily driver. The GTS is actually useful as a faily driver, but I just miss the wind in my hair. I have aftermarket windows that lock, so that helps a bit.

Ironically, the configuration that I use most is the RT/10 with the hardtop. Doesn't look as good as the GTS (which might just be a top 5 car of all time when it comes to styling), but still gets a fair amount of air when you put down the windows and open the rear window. Plus the top takes close to 45 min to change and I am _really_ lazy.

Like other say, it depends on what you want. If it's a toy car, I just love the RT and have always been partial to convertibles. If you really intend to drive it, probably the GTS, but keep in mind that those huge tires still make it a liability in the rain.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've always preferred convertibles, which is what led me to get my '00 R/T 10.

Still, I think that the GTS looks truly beautiful with it's swoopy fastback styling.

Here in California our "winter" lasts about 2+ months so even if the roof does leak a bit I'm OK with that for the other 10 months of top-off enjoyment.

-Dean.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jamie,
I had the same tough decision. I told myself living near Buffalo NY I would only have a GTS for weather reasons. But the R/T is the best way to go if the car is for fun and street driving.
Now if you plan on track events then go GTS. If you want the summer fun then go r/t!! I have had a blast in mine. this summer i even got a cool seat belt tan with the top off on a 94 degree day!!

Love my r/t!!!

good luck

JIM
smile.gif

Silver98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've driven a lot in the rain and no leak so far using either tops.

Touch wood!

However, to tell you the truth, I much prefer to drive in the sunshine with the top off...

CAP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't be silent anymore regarding some of the issues I've read on this thread. My '96 was a daily driver for 6 years. 28,000 miles. Bone dry in the rain (which is the only time the soft top ever got put on). I don't understand all the scariness surrounding driving in the wet. Of course caution is required. D'er.

However:
I'm tired of zipping and unzipping the tonneau cover, watching the weather, assembling the roof, not being able to hear anything but wind when at speed. I now prefer the refinement of the GTS.

Also.... I like the GTS looks better than the RT/10 (although this was not always the case, so go figure).

Do not fake yourself out (as I may have done) if you like the GTS more, but there is a cost issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadlick32