Running rich

Diablo Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok as some of you know Ive been battling a hot side sill problem.I realized that when I zero out my VEC1,the car still runs rich(right blue light) Now,Ive started to lean it out a bit on the low and high end and the side sills are cool.What could have caused my car to run overly rich? When I first installed the VEC1 I tuned it perfectly.It required that I richen it at low throttle input and lean it out at WOT.Something has changed that setting drastically.Could it be a faulty O2? I dont want to set it lean and then have the car revert back to the way it was and go REALLY lean as I might not notice it.

Joe

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you reset your computer when you installed the VEC 1?
The computer does go through a learning phase over time, especially after it has been reset (disconnected connectors, removed ground wire, etc..). It is possible that your computer was going through the big learning curve and adapting. How many mile have you put on it since the VEC1 was installed?
-W

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have a MIL light on for some reason? If so, that will generally cause the car to run on the rich side since it goes into a self protection mode.

--- Ken

OP
OP
D

Diablo Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive probably put at least 500 miles on the car since resetting the ECU.You think I should reset it again?

Joe

OP
OP
D

Diablo Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whats an MIL light? Like a Check engine light? If so,no lights were on.While were on the subject of lights,I did notice there is a light for a Low Tire.How does it know this?

Joe

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MIL stands for 'Malfunction Indicator Light' and is the new official name for the check engine light.

I don't think there's a light for low tire pressure. Are you sure you weren't sitting in your NSX
smile.gif

--- Ken

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TTBADBOY:
Whats an MIL light? Like a Check engine light? If so,no lights were on.While were on the subject of lights,I did notice there is a light for a Low Tire.How does it know this?

Joe

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hunh, Low Tire light?

OP
OP
D

Diablo Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes,look real close at your light display box and you can see a light for low tire.Ill take a pic of it tomorrow and post it.

Joe

OP
OP
D

Diablo Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heres the pic.You can barely make it out but if you look at your own car,you'll see it.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Its beneath the door ajar light

Joe

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TTBADBoy,

The low tire pressure is trasmitted from pressure sensors within the rim. But our cars don't have this. Wild that you found that. Nice place to put a signal light if you put an aftermarket system on the car.

The ECU learns as you drive. This could take 300-500 miles. You most likely disconnected the battery to install the VEC, have you put many miles on it since the upgrade?