Sandhills Open Road Challenge

Bob D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone considering running in this event should sign up soon. Although it doesn't take place until August, it is filling up quickly. So far only 2 Vipers are signed up including myself. I know a few more folks from Colorado are planing to go but don't wait til it's too late! We need more Vipers. Last year over 30% were Vettes out of 85 cars total. They have a website with a message board. www.sorcrace.com

Bob

Dave T (BADVENM)

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm definately interested but also a little nervous going those speeds on a roadway that I'm not familiar with. For a stock Viper whats the top speed average for the 1 mile?

OP
OP
B

Bob D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A stock GTS will do 158-160 mph in the mile. I think the elevation there is around 2500 ft. I won't be able to run the mile this year without a full cage. If you excede 186, you must have one. I'll just run the half mile instead. The main attraction is 26 mile x 2 road race.
You can just enter the shootout if you want ($100)

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A stock GTS will do 158-160 mph in the mile. I think the elevation there is around 2500 ft. I won't be able to run the mile this year without a full cage. If you excede 186, you must have one. I'll just run the half mile instead. The main attraction is 26 mile x 2 road race.
You can just enter the shootout if you want ($100)

Last time I spoke with them they were allowing the GTS to participate w/o a roll cage. As Paolo had them convinced that the GTSs built in Roll Bar was sufficient.

Maybe it will be differenct now that the Vipers are running such high speeds, as compared to the Vetts of the previous years.

OP
OP
B

Bob D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can get away with it the first year like Paolo and I did but after that you need a full cage to excede 186, not just a roll bar. The GTS does meet the roll bar requirements.

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
POSTING THIS FOR JOE SHOWN - DO NOT REPLY TO ME - THANKS

"Many thanks to Bob for mentioning the Sandhills Open Road Challenge on your Viper forum. The SORC encourages any and all kinds of cars to compete, even Vipers. Two events comprise the SORC; a one mile, half mile shoot out, and a 56 mile open road race. The shoot out venue is 2,750 feet above sea level and is on a very straight and smooth closed public highway. The shut down area is two miles long in order to offer maximum safety. We accept the hoops in GTS Vipers, C4 Corvettes, C5 Corvettes, and several other models in the one mile class and the Grand Sport division of the road race. However, beginning this year any car that brakes, or has broken in the past, 186 MPH must have a complete roll cage. Bob ran 188 last year so without a cage he will be running in the half mile.

I agree with Bob that we will probably fill our grid for the road race very soon. We currently have seven slots left for the shoot out only. As Bob mentioned the shoot out entry is $100.00. Our website contains a great deal of information and feel free to chime in on our forum. In order to raise the blood pressure of some of the readers of this post I have a wager to offer. I will make a bet with any motor only Viper that I will post a higher average speed (three passes) in Street Champion class of the one mile. The loser buys the winner a case of cold beer and bows to winner's car during lunch break at Callaway and proclaiming that they are not worthy. I will compete with a 1990 motor only clunker ZR-1.

So I hope my challenge will get some of you folks off your duff and on your way to Nebraska in August. You will be exposed to unparallel hospitality and have a great time. So fire those Vipers up and come show the world what you've got. If you have specific questions contact me at 308-532-4551 or [email protected]. Hope to see you at the shoot out."

Joe Shown

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spoken to Joe, one of the organizers a few times. He's a real American Muscle Car Enthusiast. Even though he owns a couple Vettes, he's still OK! :p
He really want to get over to a GTS in the future, and if he gets his butt handed to him by a NA Viper, he will have NO choice but to get rid of a Vette and get a Snake! :2tu:
His ZR-1 is a 415 C.I.D., and he's talking alot of smack too! So how about a couple of you NA Vipers making Joe buy that Beer!
I am not allowed in the Vette, as Joe has been smacked around enough by SC'd Vipers, to know better than to mess with them or a TT Viper.

I hope some Vipers make it out there again, bring home the Hardware! :2tu:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery