Screw in my Run Flat

05Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yesterday I had my first experience with a screw in my stock rear tire. The first 2 places I called said I couldn't repair a run flat. I called Michelin and they said as long as it wasn't too close to the sidewall it could be repaired but no longer has its speed rating. Next problem was finding a tire shop that could handle that size wheel and tire, That took quite a few more calls. Thanks Keller Tire here in FWB, good guys there and excellent equipment to protect the rims. I didn't really want to buy tires yet after only 17,000 miles. Here is my question, has anyone else repaired/patched one of these tires and do I have anything to worry about?

CajunViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I picked up a nail with 5000 miles on my rear. Michelin replaced both rear tires for free. When they first made these tires they warrented them for road hazard for the life of the tire. Then I pulled a nail at 16000 miles and they prorated the tire and gave me 150 dollars off the replacement, I guess the life of the tire expired, and I replaced the other rear myself. No need to fix and worry about the speed rating.

OP
OP

05Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tthanks CajunViper, did you have to ask for replacements or did they suggest it? They made no reference to me about replacement.

98viperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a corvette with Run Flats that I picked up a nail in. I had a patch put in it and never had any problems and I was even dumb enough to take it up to 166mph with the patch. I just forgot about it.

OP
OP

05Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks 98ViperGTS, this stuff is good to know. I get on it all the time but when I do, I don't want to have to worry about a patch.

OP
OP

05Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oops, I need to correct my last statement, I don't get on it all the time, wishfull thinking I guess, but when I do I would rather not be worried about a patch.

CajunViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took the warrentee book from the glove box with me. The tire store spent the next hour on the phone with Michelin, but they got it done. My car is an 03, the first year of the run flats.

It was at Disscount Tire in Houston, TX.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
17000 miles. Wow!

I replaced mined at 13k. I did have a couple of track events though.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Same thing here. Had a nail in one of my rears on my '04 with 3K miles. Took the car to Discount Tire here in Houston. Tire was replaced.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
QUOTE: "I took the warrentee book from the glove box with me. The tire store spent the next hour on the phone with Michelin, but they got it done. My car is an 03, the first year of the run flats.

It was at Disscount Tire in Houston, TX."

This is great news as finally a tire dealer stepped up to the plate and warrantied an OEM tire. In the pasr they used to say OEM tires carried no warranty.

Don

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got a nail in my rear left tire at 500'ish miles. Was told by the tire shop that they really should be replaced, but they did the repair at no charge. They told me to lower the rating on them by atleast one step down.

I'm at 1500 miles with no problems.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm no fan of run flats. A typical Michelin is already pretty durable, and repairable. The nails and screws I've gotten resulted in slow leaks and gave me time to get home.

Considering that everyone says run flats are a horrible performance tire they have no business being on a Viper.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Much has been said about the runflat. One more thing I would like to add to the list. They are very dificult to remove from the rim. The sidwalls are so rigid, it's like tying to remove and inflated tire. Goodyear damaged my rim trying to remove the tire, and then denied doing it.

SilverViperSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a part of steel in my rear tire going at a track event. I was not going to participate when an other member insite I got a patch, to benefit of the event.

I got the patch and thought I was going to go with moderation on the track. I was so exited, my brain forgot about it and I was always WOT. Everything went perfect, event after I finished the rear tires on a huge smoke show and the patch was still doing is job.

I was told that speed limit safety will be reduce but it still push it up to 240 Km/H.

I felt more in security when I changed it but still I was able to get some fun on the track waiting for the new set.

OP
OP

05Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I guess I'll just keep an eye on it for awhile. Good so far. I do want to replace them, I just don't want to do it for nothing. They seem to be holding up fairly well. I have only been down an 1/8 mile track 5 times and of course the occasional street getting on it when safe to do so. I'll jut take them for what I can get.
I actually hope someone else comes up with a tire for the stock rim. I know they are heavier, but I do like the way they look.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So non-runflat tires for the stock rims (back rims I assume) are not available? You have to buy new rims to go to non-runflats?

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So non-runflat tires for the stock rims (back rims I assume) are not available? You have to buy new rims to go to non-runflats?

The michelin non run flats work fine on the stock rim. any tire will work on the stock rim, hell i have a set of nitto drag radials on stock front 10 spokes here in my office.

OP
OP

05Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know any tire will work on the stock rims if you can find the right size, but what I have had a hard time finding is choices in 345/30-19 for the rear. I have looked alot on the web but just can't find choices. I have noticed a lot of viper owners are downsizing the rears to 18's.