Screwy fuel gauge. Worth trying to replace?

BadAndy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My Gen 1 fuel gauge has been acting up for about a year now. Does the infamous deal where it reads full just fine, then after about 30 miles or so, shows pretty much empty. But then sometimes sitting still when you first start, appears to read correctly. I had the Stealership look at it once and they basically said could be one or all of 5 things. Most of which, they can't get. So, I've been playing the mileage game.

However, I'm getting ready to have some interior work done and I thought...while we're in there, maybe it would be worth trying to replace the gauge. It appears to be a $100+ gamble though. Based on the description above on how it's acting, does anyone have any experience or advice on it really being just the gauge possibly?

Thanks for any advice.

s55c

Enthusiast
Reaction score
not the gauge,,, sending unit is bad,,, no longer available from anyone as far as I know,,, oem was a carter and even carter has none,,, I changed mine last year,,, I went thru a couple other chrysler senders to match up ohms rating then swaped out the swing arm,, now its golden,,,, good luck