Sean Roe Supercharger - First Driving Impressions

S

SUN RA KAT

Ping-Pong. No pinging under light load, but once the load increases there is pinging. I called Sean Roe and he said the MSD boxes should get to him & be shipped to his supercharger customers next week, he hopes. I drove around 100 miles on 93 octane gas and making several adjustments to the VEC1 trying to get rid of the pinging, but the pinging wouldn't go away. I then went to Sunoco and filled up with 94 octane gas and drove home.

Under part throttle 1st & 2nd gear goes to 5000 RPM (didn't try to take it higher) with no pinging and under lighter part throttle 3rd gear goes to 5,000 RPM with no pinging. But if a slight bit more throttle is applied, then pinging starts. 4th, 5th, & 6th gears are progressively fairly easy to get ping in. Because of the pinging and the fact that I'm low on clean undies, I didn't go any further than about 1/3 throttle - but with the Roe Supercharger 1/3 throttle feels close to what almost full throttle did before.

My Viper sounds quieter! Both inside and out. I may have to set the radio buttons to actual stations now. At idle there is a whistling sound of the supercharger, but it disappears as RPMs go up, or the exhaust sound covers it up. The Corsa 3" Cat Back has a crossover pipe and those that reported the supercharger making their Viper louder didn't. The sound out of the Corsa does sound much meaner, though. The engine also feels smoother like a V12 was in it instead of a V10. Accelleration is so much faster that I was constantly surprised by how fast I was going - something I will have to pay more attention to in the future. My Viper is much easier to drive in stop & go traffic - the 70 mm throttle bodies and the supercharger make every aspect of driving easier.

The PCM is probably going through a learning period right now and my Viper will run much better in 100 more miles (My Ram truck's PCM took 300 miles to stop giving easily noticable improvements when I put in the M1 2 bbl intake manifold.)

Once the pinging is eliminated I will be bringing a roll of toilet paper and maybe a change of undies when A-Vipering I'm A-Going.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Detonation is NOT a good thing. Don't even think about driving your car until it's fixed... The V-10 is loud.. Make sure there isn't any detonation that you CANNOT hear either. It's a silent killer..

Good Luck!
Gerald

OP
OP
S

SUN RA KAT

The boost comes on just above idle and the ping starts around 2400 RPM in 3rd gear - in 4th, 5th, & 6th gear it starts sooner. Extremely light throttle eliminates the ping. In 1st & 2nd gears I could hear no ping even at almost 1/2 throttle.

One of the first people to get the Roe Supercharger installed had mods like mine to the exhaust system and he did not have any ping, so I though my Viper would be as happy as his.

My daughter's high school marching band will be getting ready to be in Indy this coming week in Bands of America Grand National Competition for being the best marching band in the land and the Centerville Jazz Band is considered to be one of the best bands in the land, especially this year by the judges. I'm a chaperone, part of the pit crew, videographer, and one of the photographers so I will be too busy this coming week to do much Vipering. This will give MSD time enough to ship the box to Sean, who will then ship it to me. And then I can get it installed & adjusted and post a more complete report, probably the week of the 17th.

It's not raining where I live right now & I think I will go out and adjust my VEC1 from -4/+4 to -6/+6 and see what happens.

OP
OP
S

SUN RA KAT

My Viper didn't like -6/+6 settings on my VEC1 at all.

Engine check light came on within 30 seconds.

So, I'm going to save gas by NOT A-Vipering I'm A-Going until the MSD box is ready to install. The good news is the MSD box should be here by the time I will have enough time to A-Vipering I'm A-Going.

OP
OP
S

SUN RA KAT

Sean talked to me in advance of shipping the SC kit, in regard to the possibility pinging and the delivery of the MSD timing boxes. It was up to me if I wanted to wait or not, and in this case, I decided to go ahead and see how it went. I'm OK with the current state of everything until the MSD box arrives. I know how blown out of proportion this issue of pinging could become if it's not fully explained. I had the choice of waiting un til everything was ready to ship or have my unit shipped right away and I chose to have it shipped ASAP.

I also don't feel ready to unlease the full power of the supercharger and low load level part throttle well below the ping point is still faster than 95% of how I was driving my Viper before the supercharger, even when I was driving with much spirit.

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most people don't realize that there is well over 40 degrees of timing in the Viper computer under tip-in/light to moderate load. This is A LOT OF TIMING!!! Yuck!

I believe the MSD box should fix issues relating to pinging under WOT when you are seeing boost. I believe it is only a boost sensitive device.

Kenny, out of curiosity, is your car pinging under boost or before boost kicks in? You may need to tune your computer for the supercharger kit which involves removing timing under light to medium loads. Again, I don't think the MSD box will cure it if it happens before boost. Since most Vipers are so loud, we do all our tuning with 3 people around the engine listening for any hint of detonation. It can be tough to hear, especially in the driver's seat watching the road ahead listening to music. The stock Viper bottom end is not well suited for detonation. It only takes a little to harm internals....

Good luck!
-Wayne

varanus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LTHL VPR:
Most people don't realize that there is well over 40 degrees of timing in the Viper computer under tip-in/light to moderate load. This is A LOT OF TIMING!!! Yuck!

I believe the MSD box should fix issues relating to pinging under WOT when you are seeing boost. I believe it is only a boost sensitive device.

Kenny, out of curiosity, is your car pinging under boost or before boost kicks in? You may need to tune your computer for the supercharger kit which involves removing timing under light to medium loads. Again, I don't think the MSD box will cure it if it happens before boost. Since most Vipers are so loud, we do all our tuning with 3 people around the engine listening for any hint of detonation. It can be tough to hear, especially in the driver's seat watching the road ahead listening to music. The stock Viper bottom end is not well suited for detonation. It only takes a little to harm internals....

Good luck!
-Wayne

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wayne, how much would it cost to tune a roe sc setup on a 97gts. I am close by in pleasanton and know that apex has worked on SC mustangs. When would be a good time to call you . .are you open on Monday?

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Varanus-
We are closed on Mondays because we are opened all day on Saturdays. Call on Tues. and we'll see how soon we can schedule you in. We are currently out of tuning boxes but have some more on order. Should receive them in a week or two. Are you noticing pining before boost is activated? I know the timing is really aggressive on light-medium loads. Superchargers normally build boost under WOT, but the Viper's timing isn't that aggressive under WOT.

See you soon.
-Wayne