Sears Diehard Platinum

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I bought my 2005 just recently, the battery was dead at the dealer.

Part of my "Stage 1" is checking the battery to make sure it is ok.

I removed the battery cover recently during a spark plug change and noticed that the original mopar battery was toast. It was leaking all over the place so I decided to replace it.

Sears and Enersys recently decided to enter a partnership to make a new premium battery line called the Diehard Platinum. I believe Enersys also owns Hawker who I think manufacturers the Odyssey batteries which are the best in the business. After some more research it seems that the new Diehard Platinum is a rebadged Odyssey 1500, a really nice battery.

I hit sears and picked up the unit for $179.00

It installed no problem in the Viper battery tray. It's a standard group 34.

The battery is very well made and is AGM. No vents, no leakage.

I had it on the battery tender all night to top it off and the car fired up this morning with vigor.

Definitely a recommended battery over stock or practically any other thing out there other than an Odyssey.

It's a little heavier than the stock unit, however it has a great warranty.

880cca, 48 month free replacement, then 52 month prorate.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Looks like a good battery on paper...but NOT light at 53 lbs.

I'm thinking about one for our SRT-10 as well.

OP
OP
X

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah I hear you but that is due to the build quality.

Check this link out, it's basically the same exact battery I bought, but Sears is selling it as their Diehard Platinum in a silver case. The sears version is also sans side terminals.

PC1500 T - Odyssey batteries

Also the extra weight gives you another excuse to mod elsewhere, LOL.

The Corsa I am putting on this weekend makes up for the weight gain of the new battery. :lmao:

Last edited:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you search "battery" topics and "JonB" you will see that I have consistently recommended and used DieHard Gold (and now Platinum) for many years. And I pooh the Optima.

The down side is, if you own a Viper with 'drain issues' you will still need a battery tender if you are unable to troubleshoot the drains, OR if you store the car alarmed for more than 28 days.

OP
OP
X

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Definitely concur. My cars/bikes are all on battery tenders when not in use.

If you use a battery tender with these new AGM batteries, make sure you get a Battery Tender (like the Plus) that handles them.

Tim

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Well, I just stuck a series 34 DieHard Platinum in our SRT-10...we will see how well it does compared to the new DieHard Golds in the other 5 Vipers.

Fact...SRT-10 MUCH easier to replace the battery that in our Gen I and II Vipers !!!!!!

OP
OP
X

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The only drawback, if you consider it, is the battery is much more noticeable in the back rear of the car, being that it is Silver colored vs Black.

Other than that, this thing spins the starter with aplomb and I have had no dimming of lights or reduction of speed of cooling or A/C fans when all accessories are at full tilt.

Awesome upgrade.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21