Seat Removal

sambo32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking to remove both seats in my 2009 coup so I can replace rear subwoofer, any tips on removal. It looks very tight and almost impossible to take the seats out.
Thanks

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty easy on a vert, but I can imagine it being a nightmare to do on a coupe without messing anything up in the process.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Why would you need to remove the seats to replace the subwoofer? Don't you just remove the interior bulkhead piece and then unbolt the subwoofer?

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
4 bolts and one connector to get seats free.

Have to twist then to get them out ... cushin first.

OP
OP
S

sambo32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I guess there is no way to remove the rear bulkhead with out removing the seats. Has anyone tried with just removing one seat.

Reaction score
The seats are not hard to remove, do them both and give yourself some room to work. The passenger seat comes out really easy without the steering wheel in the way. Make sure the seats are full upright when you try to pull them out, tilt the top into the car and pull the bottom out, this will let you see and control the sharp parts under the seat.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The seats are not hard to remove, do them both and give yourself some room to work. The passenger seat comes out really easy without the steering wheel in the way. Make sure the seats are full upright when you try to pull them out, tilt the top into the car and pull the bottom out, this will let you see and control the sharp parts under the seat.

As Mark says, pretty easy.

Tilt the steering wheel all the way up and use tape on the interior sills and door surrounds to protect them from the seat mounting brackets, which can scratch them if you are not careful.

Dan

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
The seats are fairly easy to remove - but not required for what you want to do. Dug up the service manual. Looks to me that unless you are planning to do something custom with the subwoofer, you can get access without removing the seats:

BULKHEAD TRIM PANEL - COUPE - REMOVAL
(1) Move seats forward.
(2) Remove sill plates.
(3) Remove B-pillar mouldings.
(4) Remove bulkhead screws.
(5) Disconnect speakers.
(6) Remove bulkhead from vehicle. (Fig. 4)

B - PILLAR UPPER TRIM - COUPE - REMOVAL
(1) Using a trim stick or equivalent, disengage
trim tabs from B-pillar. (Fig. 2)

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It may not be required by the book, but it makes it a whole lot easier to have them out of the way.

OP
OP
S

sambo32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for the information. I am not doing a custom subwoofer box, just replacing the stock speaker with a Kicker speaker. Do you think I can get this job done with out removing the seats.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm a bigger guy (6'4" and about 240-lbs), so for me, removing the seats was the way to go...I just couldn't seem to get enough room with them in there to really get at everything. I will second what has already been mentioned here...protect the sills with something (I prefer a towel) because those seat tracks can really do a number on anything they touch; make sure the seats are all the way back on their tracks before trying to take them out (it'll make them as short as possible, giving you the most room you can have); and as you are picking them up, tilt the headrests towards the center of the car. On the driver's side, the steering wheel will need to be all the way up.

OP
OP
S

sambo32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just completed my subwoofer box removal and replaced the stock speaker with a Kicker sub. I was able to remove the sub box with out removing the seats, space was tight but not that hard to do. Patients is the key when working in tight spaces. I want to thank everyone for their help and ideas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte